Some So Cal Canyon Runs

Detrich

Lol...

latony007

i pushed mine down to 1 trying to get a little more foot on the ground and im not to heavy but it didnt really help and its was too bouncy so i had someone set it up to 2 on our group ride last week. probably end up back at 3

latony007

ROFL answered a question from 2011! haha
the funny thing was he just answered it like it was yesterday and no one would notice its been 3 years LOL.

MattEnTheHat

So when I bought my bike (used), the guy I bought it from did not have the tool kit with it (or at least he didn't give it to me, and I didn't know it existed until it was too late). Anyways, I don't have one. I haven't looked yet at what my preload is set to, but I think I might want to raise it a bit (I weigh 180 and the guy I bought it from was quite a bit smaller, maybe 150 or so, so I suspect it may be kind of low, it seems pretty soft...) Anyways, what exact type of tool do I need to adjust it? Can I do it without the specific tool kit using generic tools? If not, does anybody know of somewhere I can get a tool kit relatively cheaply?

Also, as a new rider, I have very little confidence in myself on twisty roads... or rather, my confidence is overpowered by my cautousness/nerves/fear. I am confident that I could go much faster and be fine, but I can't actually get myself to do it. I think maybe it would help if I had someone to follow, so I could see how easily they negotiated the corner at that speed, and think to myself "I can do that." Anybody else had this feeling and/or have any suggestions? Should I just go for it? haha..

Thanks!

knightmare

We are setting up a ride in so cal if u live close u can tag along.... Also what I do is find a good road google maps helps and ride it slow a few times.... Get a feel on how u and ur bike take the turns... And just start going a lil faster every time... But don't push ur self to much cuz u can end up a hood ornament by over shooting the turn or a speed bump by leaning to much... Let the other guys take the comers fast until u feel comfortable... And try different roads...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

latony007

So when I bought my bike (used), the guy I bought it from did not have the tool kit with it (or at least he didn't give it to me, and I didn't know it existed until it was too late). Anyways, I don't have one. I haven't looked yet at what my preload is set to, but I think I might want to raise it a bit (I weigh 180 and the guy I bought it from was quite a bit smaller, maybe 150 or so, so I suspect it may be kind of low, it seems pretty soft...) Anyways, what exact type of tool do I need to adjust it? Can I do it without the specific tool kit using generic tools? If not, does anybody know of somewhere I can get a tool kit relatively cheaply?

Also, as a new rider, I have very little confidence in myself on twisty roads... or rather, my confidence is overpowered by my cautousness/nerves/fear. I am confident that I could go much faster and be fine, but I can't actually get myself to do it. I think maybe it would help if I had someone to follow, so I could see how easily they negotiated the corner at that speed, and think to myself "I can do that." Anybody else had this feeling and/or have any suggestions? Should I just go for it? haha..

Thanks!
I agree with Nightmare, just practice. Everyone, well everyone who doesnt have a deathwish, should get to know their bike and how it behaves and what you can do as a rider. You only learn that by riding, the more the better and going with experienced people can only help. I dont know whats up in slo to ride but when you get back to simi i can direct you to all the good roads around.

As for the shock you might be able to do it with something but the tool designed for it is pretty specific. Stock setting is 3, if you think your kinda soft bouncy them id move it up to 7 so you can see the difference and then settle at whatever you want. If you meet up with us on a ride there will plenty of the tools around lol

MattEnTheHat

We are setting up a ride in so cal if u live close u can tag along.... Also what I do is find a good road google maps helps and ride it slow a few times.... Get a feel on how u and ur bike take the turns... And just start going a lil faster every time... But don't push ur self to much cuz u can end up a hood ornament by over shooting the turn or a speed bump by leaning to much... Let the other guys take the comers fast until u feel comfortable... And try different roads...
I would love to tag along, but I am up in San Luis Obispo for school right now. Over the summer, I will definitely be down to come. I have been practicing every chance I get, but as you say, safety is definitely in the front of my mind when I'm riding. Thanks for the suggestions though!

I agree with Nightmare, just practice. Everyone, well everyone who doesnt have a deathwish, should get to know their bike and how it behaves and what you can do as a rider. You only learn that by riding, the more the better and going with experienced people can only help. I dont know whats up in slo to ride but when you get back to simi i can direct you to all the good roads around.

As for the shock you might be able to do it with something but the tool designed for it is pretty specific. Stock setting is 3, if you think your kinda soft bouncy them id move it up to 7 so you can see the difference and then settle at whatever you want. If you meet up with us on a ride there will plenty of the tools around lol
That would work, otherwise I can check out ebay haha. As for roads in SLO, one of my roommates is a local and drives a WRX, so he knows and can show me some good roads. We're actually going out tomorrow morning, so we'll see how that goes haha. I'm sure I won't keep up, but it should still be fun!
Thanks!

knightmare

I would love to tag along, but I am up in San Luis Obispo for school right now. Over the summer, I will definitely be down to come. I have been practicing every chance I get, but as you say, safety is definitely in the front of my mind when I'm riding. Thanks for the suggestions though!

That would work, otherwise I can check out ebay haha. As for roads in SLO, one of my roommates is a local and drives a WRX, so he knows and can show me some good roads. We're actually going out tomorrow morning, so we'll see how that goes haha. I'm sure I won't keep up, but it should still be fun!

Thanks!

If u think the shock is to soft the u need to go up before u start taking corner.... Cuz u can end up bouncing to much on a lean and it won't be good... The closet person to u is jt.... That I know of.... Hit him up....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattEnTheHat

My shock is set to the original factory 3, and I definitely think it needs to go up some. I have noticed some corners are pretty bouncy. Like specifically, there is a right turn to come into my apartment complex where you have to go through a little gutter thing as you make the turn, and it gets a bit sketchy even going slowly. Thanks for the suggestions guys

Edit: Does this look like it would work to adjust the preload? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/190879569937?lpid=82

Last edited:

latony007

My shock is set to the original factory 3, and I definitely think it needs to go up some. I have noticed some corners are pretty bouncy. Like specifically, there is a right turn to come into my apartment complex where you have to go through a little gutter thing as you make the turn, and it gets a bit sketchy even going slowly. Thanks for the suggestions guys

Edit: Does this look like it would work to adjust the preload? Hi Shock Absorber Bushing 12mm Eyes Pre Load Spanner Wrench Tool ATV Motorcycle | eBay
that looks really close. i think ours has a bit more of a half circle shape. no idea what the bushings are for. If you goto your local yamaha dealer im sure they will pull out a tool and adjust it for you, it takes about 10 seconds and they are right under the seat of all those bikes they got in there :)