Some So Cal Canyon Runs

Detrich

cool. ride safely... and, watch out for bicyclists. they seem to get into a lotta trouble up in GMR. i usually go up the back side, take a break at the lookout, then go down the front. last weekend on the way down the front side a pack of sport bikers blew by me like it was nothing... <lol> i tried to move over to let them pass, but it was still very humbling.

some ppl i've talked to have said that because our riding position is so high, we can't turn as fast as those guys. but i think i just need to memorize that road better before i can muster up the confidence to go fast.

flyingminno

Well honestly it boils down to rider skill and body positioning. Since I live less than 10 minutes away from GMR, I've practically memorized the road up the front side and down the back. I'm able to catch up and pass riders on R6's and R1's because I utilize the corner speeds by shifting my body weight. But yeah, our bike cannot flick or corner as quickly, but in the hands of someone who knows the road and the bike, it can keep up.

Those bicyclists are suicidal, really. I was going down the front side on one of the 180 degree corners, and a bicyclist decided it to be smart to ride on the yellow. I almost flattened him...but my bike was freshly washed, so I had no choice but to steer around him ;).

Detrich

hahahaha.. good reason not to run them over. :)

flyingminno

Yes! Haha it makes me wish we had a full train horn set up available for our bikes! I would ride around terrorizing unsuspecting road hogging bicyclists! Muahaha! ::rolleyes:

bjs045

some ppl i've talked to have said that because our riding position is so high, we can't turn as fast as those guys. but i think i just need to memorize that road better before i can muster up the confidence to go fast.
Setting your rear preload higher will also stabilize the bike. If you've never changed it before its probably at 3. With your weight I'd go to 5.

Since your a car guy too...thats like difference trying to take corners with a fully adjustable coil over with the shock set on soft. Body roll etc....you'll need to stiffen the shock.

Just like with a car the ride won't be as soft but more responsive.

flyingminno

Well, had a really busy day..or at least slept in, which caused it to be busy. So, I will be headed to GMR a little after 9 tonight. We'll see if I head back down that or Azusa, due to the fog.

Detrich

I see... Wow I never thought about that... I guess I'll need to find time to learn how to adjust it. The videos u posted were very helpful....

Setting your rear preload higher will also stabilize the bike. If you've never changed it before its probably at 3. With your weight I'd go to 5.

Since your a car guy too...thats like difference trying to take corners with a fully adjustable coil over with the shock set on soft. Body roll etc....you'll need to stiffen the shock.

Just like with a car the ride won't be as soft but more responsive.

Detrich

GMR at night? Be careful & ride safely... Lotta rice rockets up there at night...

Well, had a really busy day..or at least slept in, which caused it to be busy. So, I will be headed to GMR a little after 9 tonight. We'll see if I head back down that or Azusa, due to the fog.

bjs045

I see... Wow I never thought about that... I guess I'll need to find time to learn how to adjust it. The videos u posted were very helpful....
The tool should be in your bikes tool kit. Our bikes suspension isn't as sophisticated, at the bottom of the shock is a metal bracket with an indicator and the you'll see the 1-7 etched on the shock. You just spin the indicator until it's on the 5.

I've seen some write ups on the forums here. Not sure where though =P

Detrich

BJ>. I looked and my rear is set to 3... Our manual says to use the tool to turn the dial counterclockwise to turn the setting. But, it doesn't say what weight should be set to what number. I weigh 147, prolly 152+ with my gear. How did you calculate the correct setting?

bjs045

BJ>. I looked and my rear is set to 3... Our manual says to use the tool to turn the dial counterclockwise to turn the setting. But, it doesn't say what weight should be set to what number. I weigh 147, prolly 152+ with my gear. How did you calculate the correct setting?
I calculated my setting off other people opinions here on the website. There was a debate of 220+ pound guys as to what setting they should be on. Some said 7 max others said 6 and reserve 7 for going 2up.

At the time i was 205 pounds so I decided to ride for a week (work commute) at setting 5. Felt a lot better. The following week I changed it to 6, I loved the response from the bike so I've just kept it there.

joloy133

Find a stretch of road with some turns and some highway route and try it on 7. You should be able to feel the difference from 3 vs 7, and depending on your preference move to 5. Definitely do 3 to 7 for establishing a feel for the spring. I choose to ride as soft as possible but I changed my spring earlier to a hyperpro progressive set up. Too much preload can upset the proper sag for the rear suspension.

Detrich

ok, i'll bump mine up from 3 to 5 then when i get a chance this week... it'll be my first time breaking open the tool kit... hahahaha

speaking of which, i was on the 210 east yesterday, and guess what i saw???

the big gigantic blue Yamaha moto transport truck!! :)

i was driving so i couldn't snap photos. but, it was freaking awesome!!!! :)

too bad we couldn't see what bikes were being transported inside...

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Detrich

lol. I went and got a suspension measured and the stock setting was correct for my fully geared up weight. So no.

latony007

lol. I went and got a suspension measured and the stock setting was correct for my fully geared up weight. So no.
um, did it just take you three years to answer that question? LOL

Detrich

Better late than never

knightmare

Better late than never

That what I tell my wife.... But she would disagree.... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk