Some Observations from a New 2009 FZ6R Owner, Dallas Metroplex

Biker-Phil

Hi folks... I'm a 40 year old rider here in the greater Dallas metroplex. I used to ride a Yamaha V-Star 650 several years ago. I had to sell it and fell out of motorcycling altogether. Fast Forward 6 years and suddenly the motorcycle bug bit me again. I started looking at potential bikes. This time, I knew I didn't want a cruiser. I loved my V-Star, but I would always drag a peg on sharp turns... This time around, I wanted plenty of peg clearance, which meant something a bit more sporty. I also wanted a taller bike. So, I started looking online and reading this forum and many others when I ran into this post:

imo the FZ6r is not a beginner bike

Wow... someone else who rode a V-Star and took the 6R for a test ride. His description is spot on. I can completely relate to what he is saying. This bike is plenty fast and it can maneuver. I know because I just purchased a 2009 FZ6R off Craigslist with only 1100 miles for a little over $4,000 (what a deal!). The bike is practically brand new (other than its age of course). Everyone who sees it assumes it is fresh off the showroom floor. It is completely stock. Regardless, I absolutely love this motorcycle. It is the funnest ride yet! Here are some observations/questions:

Questions:
1) Why do so many people have 2009 model FZ6Rs on the forum? What is so special about 2009?

2) Damnit, mirrors on my V-Star were on my handle bars. I could quickly turn the handle bars to see who/what was behind me when sitting at a stop light. This is not possible on the 6R. How do you guys do a "rear view"?

3) Toolkit is missing. I really wanted to tighten up the preload from 3 to 5. Dealership wants to charge me $80 for a toolkit!!! Is there anywhere else one can buy a spanner and not be totally ripped off?

4) Another thing I've noticed... since this is also my first liquid cooled bike... The temperature gauge actually starts climbing after I turn off the motor. In fact, it continues to climb until the fan comes on and then it cools back down. Is this normal? The temp never goes above 225, so the bike isn't overheating.

Overall:
This bike is plenty fast, turns on a dime and accelerates faster than anyone would ever need to. I've never gone 0-60 this fast in my life and I've ridden in some pretty fast sports cars. The grips are a bit skinny for my taste, but I'm getting used to it. I do not like the mirrors and I would say this is my biggest complaint about the bike... which is really minor in the grand scheme of things. In the end, the performance you get at this price is really is awesome! Happy riding!

Biker Phil

06330i

To answer your questions:
1) This I have no clue lol
2) I always just lifted my arm up to look into the mirror behind me. or just simply turn my head and peek over my shoulder.
3)Try ebay you might be able to find the entire kit for cheap.
4)Completely normal, the flow of cool antifreeze stops, which in turn causes the temp to "rise"
5) Welcome to the forum and enjoy your bike! There's a lot of helpful information on here and a lot of people always willing to help!

bloodypulp

To answer your questions:
1) This I have no clue lol
2) I always just lifted my arm up to look into the mirror behind me. or just simply turn my head and peek over my shoulder.
3)Try ebay you might be able to find the entire kit for cheap.
4)Completely normal, the flow of cool antifreeze stops, which in turn causes the temp to "rise"
5) Welcome to the forum and enjoy your bike! There's a lot of helpful information on here and a lot of people always willing to help!
As far as #2 06-08 zx6r mirrors fit nicely u can just look under ur arms while riding+ better look I think. Welcome , great forum

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

SpawnXX

Premium Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

SpawnXX

Premium Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Biker-Phil

Thank you everyone!

Thank you everyone for your responses and advice and thank you for welcoming a new FZ6R rider to the forum. I've been lurking here for a little while and this is a great forum. Enjoy your rides today! :)