Some new toys

Jay S.

I got back from my deployment on Friday a full month early because we are moving to our next base in January, in Shreveport Louisiana. While I was gone I ordered a few things for the bike. Thanks to my loving wife they all sat awaiting my return in the garage. After a couple days of eating everything in sight for 2 days, I got most of it installed this morning.

Goodies list: Shogun frame sliders, Grab-On grip covers, 12v outlet, Driven 17 tooth sprocket, Ogio tail bag, and handlebar and suction cup camera mounts.

I also ordered some new tools: T-handle allen wrenches (always wanted some but never bought them), new torque wrench, cargo nets (can never have enough of those), bike lock, tire plug kit with CO2 pump, chain brush, Duracell emergency USB battery backup (for cell phone), and a motorcycle multi-purpose tool (allen wrenches and hex wrenches).

I installed the sprocket, sliders and grip covers this morning. (thanks to Pizz, qnoisx, and bobski for the awesome tutorials) It only took about an hour or so to install everything.

I decided against the Givi hard bags since I have a full compliment of soft luggage, saddlebags, tank bag, and tail bag. Instead, I got the wife an iPad for always holding down the fort while I'm gone. She is the bomb!!!

:thumbup:

I went for a quick 40 mile ride to check it all out and I love how the bike rides now. The +1 sprocket makes the bike purr on the highway at 80mph and the grip covers cut the vibration to almost nothing. The grips remind me of Goldwing/Touring grips, if anyone else has ever felt them. Of course the sliders are dead sexy too. I did not check out the camera mounts since I have not ridden in 5 months and wanted to focus on the ride and sprocket change and not be bothered with a camera.

I started to install the 12v outlet (Nastybutler and Pizz, thanks for the tutorials) but my cord was not long enough so I will have to get a longer cord this week.

I'm off for 2 weeks so I have a 2 day ride planned for next week, pictures of the trip to follow in the touring forum.

Seriously, thanks for all the awesome tutorials here. It only proves how great this forum is. I'm simply thankful to be home and even more thankful that there is some riding season left.

Thanks for keeping the forum entertaining while I was gone. I was reading everything when I had time. Everyone hug your families and get out and ride before the season ends.

:Sport:

Last edited:

JustKatie

Welcome home Jay S. and a big thank you for your service! Also kudos and thumbs up to Mrs. Jay S. I can't imagine the difficulties either of you face, I am just grateful we have you guys and gals keeping us safe. Congrats on all your mods and happy riding.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, if you are ever over in Shreveport and want to ride before you move, hit up me or Alan (Uno979) with a PM!

BTW, thank you for your service! Glad to have you home! Hope to get to meet/ride with you before I move away toward the end of this year.

Jay S.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It really was great to read the forum when I had time over there. Kept me motivated to get home and kept my mind off of work to a degree. Hehe.

99, I have already been talking with Uno and I sent you a PM a few months ago when I got my orders to Barksdale. I'll be moving the first week of January but I'll be over sometime in Nov/Dec to look at apartments. My family is staying in Texas until the school year is over so our daughter does not have to move mid school year. They will come over in the summer. I'd love to hook up for some riding! I've ridden through LA when riding from TX to AL last summer and it was beautiful riding, but in August I was so hot I had to literally stop and drink a bottle of water almost every hour. Ugh...humid too. When are you moving?

Again, thanks everyone for the kind words and keeping the forum entertaining.

I'm getting ready for my 2 day ride tomorrow and Thursday...Yay!!! Two days of central Texas 2-lane highways. Gotta wash Iraq out of my brain.

:iconbeer:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I probably won't be moving until the end of the year. I gotta finish up some small details around the house and get it on the market and hope someone buys it. :eek:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Jay S.

Welcome home Jay! It's about time hehe and a month early? Awesome! Let us know when your headed this way. I can assist on apartment hunting.

Robert.. Need help on the house? Call dude!
Yeah a month early was awesome! I feel bad for my buds that are still there though. They will be home pretty soon. I'll be heading over in mid-december to look for an apartment. I'll PM you to trade phone numbers sometime soon if that's okay with you. I'll take all the help I can get. Much appreciated!

:thumbup: