Slight "rattleing" at my front fork area

FZ6Rrider

Any suggestions on where/what I should be looking for?
the rattleing is the loudest when I am going 2000-3000 rpm.
I'm going to check out the entire front end tomorrow when it's light out, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where I should start my search.
Sort of hoping that it already happened so someone can Direct my search :)
thanks in advance everyone!
cheers

Craxican

I know it sounds dumb....

check your fluids, mine did it and to my own stupidity...i forgot to check my oil after I had put on a new oil filter and did not "fill" the filter properly, so when I started the engine...I got a similar problem. Everything's fine now...

JSP

Super Moderator
Could be your windshield. Mine rattles a bit after taking it off and painting it. Cant seem to get rid of the rattle. But if I just put the tip of my finger on the top of it, it stops...

cbzdel

are you 100% its its comming from the fork area?? is it in a certain gear??

if its all gears try riding around the street without a helmet and see if you can pinpoint the general area it is...

are you sure its not engine tapping or chain noise??

Does it happen all the time or just when you are close to a solid object like a road barrier or another car? (for the sound to bounce off of?)

GoGreen09

I just started to notice the same thing on my bike today. Coincidence that I just got it back from my dealer for the 4000 mile check? Who btw, forgot to tighten my fairing bolts and I noticed them when I was on the freeway already. Lesson for the newbies out there - do your own maintenance as much as possible! I didn't have time over the labor day weekend, so I brought it to my dealer and I'm regretting it badly.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
If you can hear it when you move your left leg away from the bike, that's chain noise and it's normal.

If that's not it, try to pinpoint where it's coming from so we may better help you out.

FZ6Rrider

Problem solved!

I took out my bike again this morning, same thing (the ratttling noise).
Since my oil was changed recently, and everything was fine before & after the change, I decided to remove all my fearings and windshield and make sure when I put them back on that the bolts were nice and tight. the sounds is gone now. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

F

FZ6Rgurl

Mine makes that sound

I have the same problem... I took it over to my neighbors to get the oil changed and we took the fairings off, well the left fairing and tightened it. My rattling starts at 3000 RPM and stops at 4000. Then if I listen real careful, I can hear it again at 6 and it stops at 7. My neighbor revved the bike in neutral and it did it then. It turns out that the windshield was making the rattling sound. Because when he held it, the noise wasn't there.This guy has been working on bikes since he was a young guy and he's an old fart now, and he's convinced that the engine is off-balance. Does this make sense to anybody?

Azeo6R

If you can hear it when you move your left leg away from the bike, that's chain noise and it's normal.

If that's not it, try to pinpoint where it's coming from so we may better help you out.
The buzzing sound I am getting started at about 4,000 miles and definitely sounds bad when I move my left leg away or up against a barrier. It doesn't make a peep until I've been running on the freeway and I'm only worrying because its getting worse. Is this just chain noise? Is there too much slack perhaps?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
The buzzing sound I am getting started at about 4,000 miles and definitely sounds bad when I move my left leg away or up against a barrier. It doesn't make a peep until I've been running on the freeway and I'm only worrying because its getting worse. Is this just chain noise? Is there too much slack perhaps?
You might check to see that the chain is tensioned properly. If it is, then it's likely just the normal chain noise most of us hear.

F

FZ6Rgurl

Still Makes It

Well, I found out mine is coming from the windshield. I took my windshield off to see if it still made the sound. It did not make the rattling or buzzing noise. I put the windshield back on and made sure the screws were tight (by the way, who was genius enough to put plastic screws in there?). But it still rattled when I revved up to about 3000 RPM. Any suggestions?

JSP

Super Moderator
Mine has been doing this for quite some time now. I finally found where it was coming from. Right where the POINTS of the front fairing are where the windshield connects to. There is a little tab that connects the black and the colored sections together. They are rubbing together to "chirp" loudly. I separated them just enough to get some thin memory foam stuff in there to put some pressure on it and it stopped it all together. SO glad that chirping is gone!

Senaca

Mine's been rattling since about 6500 kms (4050 miles ish) as well... I haven't been bothered to really check it out.. Im due for an oil change and chain tighten anyhow.

For mine, it really does sound like some of the plastics rattling... not metal. So be sure to check all those out first (to all who have this problem occur).

F

FZ6Rgurl

So I bought some new screws for my windsheild. They aren't plastic either. If anyone wants to know the size, they're 5mm x .8 x 14mm. But I got them with a length of 16mm. They work just fine. They're stainless steel just like the rest of the bolts on the bike. But instead of the phillips head on them, I got the allen head. To match the rest of the bolts showing. It really looks sharp (to me anyway). And I can get these much tighter and the buzzing/rattling has quieted down ALOT! YAY! But it is still there a bit. :(

BluePill

So I bought some new screws for my windsheild. They aren't plastic either. (
Yeah, mine makes the same noise, but usually at lower speeds. Goes away if I press the top of the windshield forward with my hand. Think I'll try the foam or rubber shim trick. BTW, the reason that windshields are attached with plastic rather than metall bolts is for safety - Vetter started doing it in the late 1960's. The idea is that in a crash, the windshield will detach rather than breaking and possibly leaving a jagged edge to impale you. This is actually not too far-fetched. I crashed my Honda that was fitted with a fairing/windshield combo. I had replaced the plastic screws with steel, so the 'shield did snap off at the attaching points. The good news is that none of the edges were very sharp. The bad news is that I snapped the handlebar with my kidney - which promptly ruptured. It's always something. :eek:

F

FZ6Rgurl

That sounds like it hurt. I'd rather have a piece of plastic lodged in my throat than my kidney bursting because of my handle bar though.