Sick to my stomach....RIP

husker525

Over the last 2 weeks, I sold 2 used R6's to some 20 some year old boys. They had very little riding experience, and I cautioned them to be careful. They kept bringing in more and more of their buddies to buy bikes, and I sold a few more various R6 and ZX6R's to them.

I had one kid who was struggling to get financed, and I worked for 2 weeks, to get it done, to no avail.

He came in today, to show me that another dealer had sold him a ZX6R today, but I noticed that they sold it to him with no front brakes, and the cords showing on the tires. Even though he bought it another dealership, I gave him my employee discount to get new tires. He could only afford a new front tire, and my shop manager installed it for him.

4 of the friends all left my shop at 530 pm. After getting off at 6 pm, I was driving home, only to find a huge traffic jam. After 45 minutes and going only about 2 miles, I found the reason why. I saw the ZX6R and one of the R6's strewn across 4 lanes, with one bike broken in half. 2 covered bodies layed in the the roadway. Exactly 1/2 of group in my shop was now dead. I know I am not responsible for them dying, but part of me hurts, as my 6th sense told me that these guys should not be on such fast bikes, as beginners.

I don't know the facts of how the crash happened, but it appears that they crashed into each other. I am sad for the families of those kids, and their friends. It is going to be hard to go back to work tomorrow.

Over the last 2 weeks, I sold 2 used R6's to some 20 some year old boys. They had very little riding experience, and I cautioned them to be careful. They kept bringing in more and more of their buddies to buy bikes, and I sold a few more various R6 and ZX6R's to them.

I had one kid who was struggling to get financed, and I worked for 2 weeks, to get it done, to no avail.

He came in today, to show me that another dealer had sold him a ZX6R today, but I noticed that they sold it to him with no front brakes, and the cords showing on the tires. Even though he bought it another dealership, I gave him my employee discount to get new tires. He could only afford a new front tire, and my shop manager installed it for him.

4 of the friends all left my shop at 530 pm. After getting off at 6 pm, I was driving home, only to find a huge traffic jam. After 45 minutes and going only about 2 miles, I found the reason why. I saw the ZX6R and one of the R6's strewn across 4 lanes, with one bike broken in half. 2 covered bodies layed in the the roadway. Exactly 1/2 of group in my shop was now dead. I know I am not responsible for them dying, but part of me hurts, as my 6th sense told me that these guys should not be on such fast bikes, as beginners.

I don't know the facts of how the crash happened, but it appears that they crashed into each other. I am sad for the families of those kids, and their friends. It is going to be hard to go back to work tomorrow.
oh huskers. death is never easy. its not your fault, and as reality showed you, nothing could have stopped those kids from getting their bikes. the world turns and life goes on. RIP kids

DakinechicK

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry to hear about this!! It's definitely not your fault. All you can do in those sorts of situations is to teach them what you can about getting their first bike and hope they make the right choices. But, motorcycling is in the hands of those who operate them and nobody else. Makes my heart hurt for their families!! So sad!

My fiance sells corporate airplanes and spends LOTS of time with customers as buying an airplane is fairly time consuming (Weeks). He gets to know them pretty well and often times makes a good friend throughout the process. When we hear about a PC12 crashing somewhere in the US and discover the tail number to be one that he sold, it is often hard for him to do the same as you, and get back to work or even fly for a few days as it definitely gets into your head. I have gotten to know 2 customers of his very well that passed last year in plane crashes and it was even hard for me to be around airplanes for a bit. I understand.

Stay strong dear friend.

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

dcBear78

Wow :(

This makes me think Australia's LAMS program has some merit. New riders are limited to <660cc and 150kw/t power output (some 250cc bike exceed the power output and are banned).

There is also a similar scheme for cars with a power to weight requirement for new drivers.

Also here in Australia no dealer could ever sell a bike in the condition you mention the other dealer sold to this young guy. All vehicles must pass a road worthy certificate prior to change of hands (even private sales). Plus dealers have to sell 2nd hand vehicles with NEW tyres even if the old ones are 1 month old, which means you usually get shitty tyres, but they are at least new.

husker525 you went out of your way to try and help. I am sure I speak for everyone here in saying you went above and beyond what is required of you to try and keep these lads safe. Good on ya! As we say down under.

See red

They should actually mandate people who want those bikes, I don't care how many years you been riding, HAVE to take a track course kind of like a msf course and have proof before the sale.

Just my opinion.

Sorry for your pain, that sucks, you should not loose sleep over this but I know it's hard.

TOMIK

such a sad story, keep your head up my friend, i am a auto broker but sold several bikes past two years due to bad economy , I always scare when I sell a bike and think about this stuff if happens how am i gona feel, pretty much feel guilty every time i sell one.but I make sure the bikes always safe befor put in in market. my praiers for the families.

Fugu

No front brakes! Insanity!

It's tough to see people make mistakes even tougher to let them do it.

Sometimes all you can do is warn people as much as you can and it sounds like you did all you can even giving the lowest price possible. Doesn't make it any easier though.

But i guess in the end this is freedom.

XTRAWLD

Wow. I feel for you.

I will never forget hubby telling me the story of when he first got his license.....many years ago. After getting his paperwork at the license office - he turned to the teller and said - "so, I can just go out and buy the fastest bike out there and get on it huh?" and she said "yup". He just got a license in his hand to kill himself essentially. When I started riding a few years ago, I couldn't imagine even riding my 250 let alone an R6 or R1, etc. I have always thought, like Australia's rules, they should have a graduated bike cc class according to skill level and amount of time in the saddle, and I think they should make taking an MSF course mandatory before getting licensed.

What a shame to hear the story. I hope you don't struggle through today too much, you did what you could.

inthemachine

So they didn't hurt anyone else? Sounds to me like its just Darwin doing his thing. People are responsible for their OWN actions. This is no ones fault but their own.

CrazyCawi

Sad! I feel bad for the one kid, do you think he knew any better or were his friends telling him it doesn't matter just get something? I cant help but think the friends are just as responsible. But needless to say, at the end of the day, two bikers are dead whether they were squidding or not.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I cant find this accident in colorado news for the life of me :( I was hoping more details be released

ChUcK

The lyrics to the Team America theme song come to mind.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that sucks! Sorry to hear about the accident. Like many have said, it wasn't your fault, and it likely would have happened whether you sold them the bikes or not. Maybe you could broach your boss about an incentive to educate new riders on what would and would not be an appropriate first bike. I know the MSF should try to addess that, but a little reminder on the showroom floor probably wouldn't hurt either.

I've seen this kinda thing happen first hand. I saw a guy who had just gotten his license go in and buy a ZX14. He was in the lot revving the engine and dumped the clutch. He smashed through 3 cars in the parking lot and flew over the last car and head-first into the dealership owner's truck. He had compound fractures of both wrists and was beat up pretty bad. His hands kinda hung there like they were on puppet strings. I know the dealerships are trying to make money, but there should be a point when rider safety supercedes profit and sales.

Keep you chin up! Just try to do your best to educate new riders the next time around.

CrazyCawi

Man, that sucks! Sorry to hear about the accident. Like many have said, it wasn't your fault, and it likely would have happened whether you sold them the bikes or not. Maybe you could broach your boss about an incentive to educate new riders on what would and would not be an appropriate first bike. I know the MSF should try to addess that, but a little reminder on the showroom floor probably wouldn't hurt either.

I've seen this kinda thing happen first hand. I saw a guy who had just gotten his license go in and buy a ZX14. He was in the lot revving the engine and dumped the clutch. He smashed through 3 cars in the parking lot and flew over the last car and head-first into the dealership owner's truck. He had compound fractures of both wrists and was beat up pretty bad. His hands kinda hung there like they were on puppet strings. I know the dealerships are trying to make money, but there should be a point when rider safety supercedes profit and sales.

Keep you chin up! Just try to do your best to educate new riders the next time around.
If you don't live to buy your next bike from them what good are you anyways? Take care of the customer first. But in all honesty I don't think the consumer them selfs wants to be told they are in to over their head as men always have this macho man fissad to fulfill. You tell them "hey that bikes to big for your experience" they say "get effed I want it my friends have em, why cant I?" and buy it anyways. Because you know...that top end acceleration above 110mph is definitely needed on the streets and all. Then the buyer has the pressured thought of well all my buddy's have em, I wont be able to keep up unless I have the same? Or Ill look like a Vag to them?....:rant:I could go on and on about this....sorry guys.

slaythoven

Wow, that's rough. I don't think I'd be cut out to be in bike sales. I'd straight up deny a beginner (pretty much anyone 18 yrs old - 23 yrs old) a supersport for their own good.

I think it would be a great idea for there to be a beginner's dealership that only sold 250s, 500s and non-super 600s. Maybe even make packages that include gear. I'll get on that write up.