Should I Move out?

Spitfire

Well the OP stated that he has no interest in girls at the time... I know that means next to nothing but ehh... Besides I was joking anyways... I can't stand when my place is dirty...

CrazyCawi

My first advice would be to go to a credit union and open a checking and savings account. They're lending criteria are more relaxed when you are a member so you can probably get a credit card through them within a month of opening your account (saying that without knowing all of your details). You'll also get better rates for car loans, mortgages down the road.

Lastly, I'm 34, have a wife and child, and would love to move back in with my parents for the mortgage savings alone. However, I travelled the world on my own from age 10-14, moved out for college and never came back so I've gotten the freedom thing out of my system. You'll never relate to wanting to move back in for the savings until you've experienced the financial hardships so I can't really tell you what to do. You stay, you save but miss out on independence. You leave, obviously it's vice versa.

I don't know that I've known many 21 year olds (let alone 34 year olds) who are debt free and have savings so either way, I think you'll do just fine.
I agree with you completely other than the credit card. DO NOT get one, a LINE OF CREDIT is MUUUUUCH more benefitial but no one will tell you different in the financial world. THEY MAKE MONEY on credit cards, and credit cards when innactive or low usage actually can reflect more negative than positive! A line of credit is always shown as a positive because the bank is willing to give you that extension!

Crocop43

dude move the F out......its time to play grown up....no offense

elikhom

I didn't move out till I was 25. Lived at home when I was in college and even during the first couple years while working. Granted it was in another country, almost everyone did the same, no peer pressure. I only moved out because I came to the US for grad school :thumbup:

slaythoven

I moved out of my mom's house when I went to college at 18 and never looked back (I'm 28 now). For me, the only reason I'd like to move back home is, as it was said in this post, for financial gain. Other than that, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now I & my wife have a mortgage, utilities, insurance, pets, etc that eat at our savings/checking but having my own life means more to me.

Btw, where in central PA are you?

MC#4

Slaytoven - Selinsgrove PA. 1 hour north of Harrisburg or 1 hour south of williamsport.

Well, I guess the plan is to stick it out here until next spring or so. I will say that I'm pretty surprised at the responses I've gotten, but that's why I posted it here. I wanted the insight of real down to earth people who for the most part recently moved out themselves. I knew it wouldn't be a cakewalk to get out in the real world by myself but the fact that nearly everyone said "STAY AT HOME AS LONG AS YOU CAN", is a bit sobering.

On the other hand, everyone on here seemed to make it out okay. Everyone has a motorcycle and a roof over thier head, what more could you ask for? I feel that I could move out today and "make it", but I will choose the path of less resistance and hold out a bit longer. I just don't wanna spend "the best years" of my life at my parents.

Thanks again for all the insight!

Sparkxx1

Well, since I seem to have been the last one to get this memo, I decided that everybody pretty much said everything I wanted to say. I guess I can add a few more things though....

I moved out when I was 18 to a completely different state from my family. I had some rough times for sure, but I pulled through and love where I am today. I definitely learned a lot in a short amount of time about taking care of myself and basically how to survive and thrive without help from my parents. Sometimes looking back, I probably should have stayed with my parents for a longer amount of time, but I don't think I would be the woman I am today had I stayed. I probably wouldn't know most of the things I know now. There is definitely growing up to do when you move out on your own but you seem pretty well put together already. Of course nobody can tell you what to do, but I can tell you a girl isn't down with a man living with his parents LoL, though you shouldn't base your decision on that, obviously. :p

If you get along well with your parents then I see no harm in staying a while longer to save up more money and build your credit. The more money you save, the better you will be in the long run. I moved away with about 2k in my pocket and pretty good credit, and 11 years later I'm still in this wonderful state and am loving what I got goin' on! Good luck with whatever you choose! Living on your own is SO boss!!
I detest living with my parents because it messes with my self esteem. I want to be out there, independent and yada yada. When I move out I want to move from the East Coast, all the way to the West Coast. =D That's why I havn't done it, I don't want to be on a flight of shame, or failing. I don't mind failing, but I refuse to lose time, because I was too selfish to invest a little more time in myself. Not only can you save more at your parents house, you have more money to enjoy life and not have to work all the time. Although you do have two jobs right now. Make sure you're blowing off steam and having fun too!

Roaddawg

I joined the Air Force when I was 18 and left for basic training two months after graduating from high school. I didn't mind living with my parents, but I was ready to get out there in the world and do something with myself. By the time I was 21, I was married, owned my first home, had already travelled to over 30 countries, and had our first kid on the way. We struggled here and there, but it makes me appriciate where we are now, second house, two kids, best career...it all works out. My parents were always willing to help, but my wife and I purchased both houses on our own, put ourselves through school, and are proud of it.

Do what feels right in your heart...it will always work out. If you move out and relized you really can't make it...move back in.

MC#4

Well I just went back and reread all of these comments. So much good info in here! Some huge changes for me have happened in the last few weeks. Our shop is now closed (my choice). I am in the process now of listing most of our big equipment on craigslist and rounding up all of our inventory to return to the parts stores. I just sold my bike yesterday to help with my next venture. I'm moving out within the month, no job, not much money at this point, down to about 7k now. Things have really went to shit around here and its time to move on. I think I will be much happier on my own, although there's really no turning back now so I'll have to make due regardless.

I told my dad that I didn't want to do this anymore. I can't sustain this lifestyle, making $100 a week working in the shop and living here at this age. He asked if I was serious, I said yes and he walked away. We talked a little later that day and he said he couldn't blame me but was obviously choking up (so was I). I've spent about 5 years helping to build that shop from the ground up. It's very difficult to just walk away but I saw no other choice. We've hardly talked this past week, I don't really know what's going through his head but he seems distant. When we were talking about selling equipment, I offered to buy one of the lifts (about $2k) if I could have reasonable access for a while. He said "we'll see". That hurt far more than I could have imagined. When we became an LLC a year and half ago, I was supposed to be a 10% owner. He said then if I wanted out that 10% of the shop worth would be mine. I told him now that I'm not worried about the 10% (easily 20k in equipment so 2k for me) I just want a lift and access for a while. He said we'll have to sell some stuff off before we start talking percentages.

Now I'm selling off all my shit and getting ready to make it in the world on my own. I don't have much of a plan, just try to survive I guess. I don't expect sympathy or anything I just wanted to update this thread since I hate reading unfinished threads!

txjames

Elite Member

roadrat

Join the military + go to school on the government's dime.

Be smart about your job in the service. Do something that will help you get a job in the field you want to work in when you get out/graduate.
Actually, that's really good advice. Vets get not only an education but all kinds of great benefits throughout their lives, even after serving only four years. My brother in law is retiring at 53 an air force colonel with a great pension.

traverser

That's a great idea, or go to work for the biggest competitor. Check your RTA, I hear they have awesome unions. Believe it or not THe repional RTA where I'm at has some sick benefits, and still have a pension plan.

Last edited:

txjames

Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member