Should I change my oil?

My FZ6R is 3 months old with only 32 miles on it. Should I change the oil now as it could take over a year or more for me to put 600 miles on it. The reason, I am Military in VA and my bike is in Florida and I only ride it when ever I go visit my family. I won't be able to ride it every day till I retire in 2 years. My wife goes to the BRC on 14-15 July. I might have her ride it but I really don't want to if you know what I mean. ;)

W

wildman

I don't think there is any reason you would have to change your oil, that early.

And it can sit there and look gorgeous in your garage, just fine. :thumbup:

I was just curious since the owners manual says 600 miles or 1 month. How much metal shavings can I accumulate after 32 miles you think? I don't think it's enough to clog the oil filter. I'm just concerned cause it's a new engine and I'm not there to break it in properly.

Last edited:

reiobard

I was just curiuos since the owners manual says 600 miles or 1 month. How much metal shavings can I accumulate after 32 miles you think? I don't think it's enough to clog the oil filter. I'm just concerned cause it's a new engine and I'm not there to break it in properly.
I would get it up to a hundred miles or so and change it, the metal havings should be polished up by then and you don't want them sludging up in the bottom of the pan over the year(s). change it now and then again at 600 miles.

I would get it up to a hundred miles or so and change it, the metal havings should be polished up by then and you don't want them sludging up in the bottom of the pan over the year(s). change it now and then again at 600 miles.

So you recommened 100, 600 and then 4,000?

W

wildman

I read the original wrong, I thought it said you were leaving for 2 years.

You could easily get 100 on the ODO in an hour or so. If you want to change it now, I would go with what he said.

100, 600, 3000. (I personally stop at 3000, that way its easier for me to remember that I need another change once I hit 6000, etc)
No sense wasting money, if you don't have it.

And how are you not out riding it?? I bought my bike on a friday, and by monday, I had already put on 600 miles! That's why you bought it! Go out and ride. :)

I read the original wrong, I thought it said you were leaving for 2 years.

You could easily get 100 on the ODO in an hour or so. If you want to change it now, I would go with what he said.

100, 600, 3000. (I personally stop at 3000, that way its easier for me to remember that I need another change once I hit 6000, etc)
No sense wasting money, if you don't have it.

And how are you not out riding it?? I bought my bike on a friday, and by monday, I had already put on 600 miles! That's why you bought it! Go out and ride. :)
I flew to Florida bought it and the next day I flew back to VA and I only go once every 2 months back to Florida to ride it. The owners manual says every 4,000 miles but I may change it every 3,000.

reiobard

I flew to Florida bought it and the next day I flew back to VA and I only go once every 2 months back to Florida to ride it. The owners manual says every 4,000 miles but I may change it every 3,000.

I always shoot for 3000 miles for the change, but you can never change the oil too much, just not soon enough.

Roaddawg

Why don't you fly down to Florida and RIDE it back to Virginia. Then you can finish break in, change oil, ride it...many birds with one stone.:rockon: Just curious, why'd you buy it now if you can't hardly ride it? I just hate seeing bikes/cars sit around looking pretty but not being used.

BTW, My sister and brother in-law are in the Navy in the Virginia Beach area.

W

wolfc70

I changed mine at 200,600,1000, then every 5000 miles. I run a full synthetic oil, so I am not worried about the longer oil change interval. I switched to the full syn oil at 1000 miles. I think I hit dang near 200 miles my first day riding!

Since you are doing many short trips and ride infrequently, there are many contaminants in your oil, staying there for months at a time. Moisture in the oil would be my big concern. I would start riding that bike, short trips are not the greatest for the break in cycle. Since anything after two weeks is considered long term storage, I would prep the bike for that as outlined in the owners manual (basically, change oil, add an ounce of oil to cylinders, top off with fresh gas with a fuel stabilizer, remove battery). The last thing you want is a stuck/corroded piston ring running in bores that are not worn in yet.

My suggestion is either ride it, or set it up for long term storage. Your bike may thank you in the long run.

Why don't you fly down to Florida and RIDE it back to Virginia. Then you can finish break in, change oil, ride it...many birds with one stone.:rockon: Just curious, why'd you buy it now if you can't hardly ride it? I just hate seeing bikes/cars sit around looking pretty but not being used.

BTW, My sister and brother in-law are in the Navy in the Virginia Beach area.
I didn't want to bring it cause I have no place to store it here. I don't want to leave a brand new 09 bike on the street so some sorry poor smuck can steal it. And I don't need another bill to put it in storage and add to my payouts at the end of the month.

I changed mine at 200,600,1000, then every 5000 miles. I run a full synthetic oil, so I am not worried about the longer oil change interval. I switched to the full syn oil at 1000 miles. I think I hit dang near 200 miles my first day riding!

Since you are doing many short trips and ride infrequently, there are many contaminants in your oil, staying there for months at a time. Moisture in the oil would be my big concern. I would start riding that bike, short trips are not the greatest for the break in cycle. Since anything after two weeks is considered long term storage, I would prep the bike for that as outlined in the owners manual (basically, change oil, add an ounce of oil to cylinders, top off with fresh gas with a fuel stabilizer, remove battery). The last thing you want is a stuck/corroded piston ring running in bores that are not worn in yet.

My suggestion is either ride it, or set it up for long term storage. Your bike may thank you in the long run.
I know all of this, but with the short time that I am there I do not have the time to store it properly according to the owners manual. My wife will be back home on the 17th of July and she will start it every week for me. Some people say that does more damage to the engine but what am I to do. She goes to the BRC on 14-15 July so I might have her take it around the block a few times a week.

fz6rwolf

If you're barracked up on base just get a cover and lock and go to it. I had bikes on base before and never had anyone mess with it. As is now I'm in an apartment with rear of building parking and I just keep it covered, not so great in winter but I've had bikes with lots of CHROME even that have been outside bikes with covers. Before winter just a good coat of wax and usually couple decent days in winter even though cold to go out and put 30 miles or so on to keep moisture at a minimum even though I will add Stabil during those months just because it's more infrequent.

If you're barracked up on base just get a cover and lock and go to it. I had bikes on base before and never had anyone mess with it. As is now I'm in an apartment with rear of building parking and I just keep it covered, not so great in winter but I've had bikes with lots of CHROME even that have been outside bikes with covers. Before winter just a good coat of wax and usually couple decent days in winter even though cold to go out and put 30 miles or so on to keep moisture at a minimum even though I will add Stabil during those months just because it's more infrequent.
I'm not on post, I'm in an apartment complex. My friend had his bike outside with a cover over it and someone stole his cover. Not such a great area here as 2 people got shot to death last week only minutes from my apartment. I'm gonna ride the crap out of it when I get home on 17 July. Thanks for all the great info though.

W

wolfc70

I know all of this, but with the short time that I am there I do not have the time to store it properly according to the owners manual. My wife will be back home on the 17th of July and she will start it every week for me. Some people say that does more damage to the engine but what am I to do. She goes to the BRC on 14-15 July so I might have her take it around the block a few times a week.
I would just let it sit then. Do not start it and then just shut it off. If you never get the oil up to temp, you are just putting a ton of moisture into the crankcase. At the minimum I would at least spray some fogging oil down the throttle bodies, this should help any corrosion, and should not take very long to do.

Storing stuff in the summer is tricky, the high dew points mean lots of moisture in the air. The high temps make things oxidize quicker, and gas goes bad quicker. Most summer blend gasoline's have a storage time of 30 days. After that the octane level can drop about a point every 7-10 days or so. A fuel stabilizer is a must.

Also, do not forget that VA has some awesome motorcycle roads. Are you near Quantico? Prince William, Stafford, King George, Westmoreland, Loundoun and Culpeper counties have some great roads to ride on.

I would just let it sit then. Do not start it and then just shut it off. If you never get the oil up to temp, you are just putting a ton of moisture into the crankcase. At the minimum I would at least spray some fogging oil down the throttle bodies, this should help any corrosion, and should not take very long to do.

Storing stuff in the summer is tricky, the high dew points mean lots of moisture in the air. The high temps make things oxidize quicker, and gas goes bad quicker. Most summer blend gasoline's have a storage time of 30 days. After that the octane level can drop about a point every 7-10 days or so. A fuel stabilizer is a must.

Also, do not forget that VA has some awesome motorcycle roads. Are you near Quantico? Prince William, Stafford, King George, Westmoreland, Loundoun and Culpeper counties have some great roads to ride on.
I'm in the Quantico, Prince Williiam county area. When she starts it, she lets it run till it gets up to normal operating temp before she cuts it off. I was talking to my wife last night about how to get the bike from Florida to VA. I'm driving there but flying back so I don't know how to go about it. I think a 14 hour drive on a bike is to long for me to endure, plus it is not even broken in yet. I'll see what happens.

MNDZA

You could have it shipped.....it'll cost ya, but I think it's worth it so that you could actually enjoy using it instead of thinking about it.

You could have it shipped.....it'll cost ya, but I think it's worth it so that you could actually enjoy using it instead of thinking about it.
I was going to have the Military ship it but I didn't want to remove all the fluids and have them get some sorry company to ship it. My friend had them ship his bike and the company just loaded it in a truck with his other stuff. Later when he got it he noticed it came in a different truck. Which ment they moved it from one truck to another and they left the bike power on and now his battery was dead. I would rather do it myself or pay a company just to ship the bike alone. Just sucks that I bought my ticket to fly back. I could of rented a truck and trailer and tow it back myself.

W

wolfc70

Just sucks that I bought my ticket to fly back. I could of rented a truck and trailer and tow it back myself.
There is always the next time you go home. There are some great roads not far from the base.

I have a friend that lives in King George, and works at FMU at Quantico. The few times I have visited him, I always wish I brought my motorcycle along.:(

There is always the next time you go home. There are some great roads not far from the base.

I have a friend that lives in King George, and works at FMU at Quantico. The few times I have visited him, I always wish I brought my motorcycle along.:(

Cool, if I do bring my bike I'll have to check them out. Maybe in the future I will bring it. At least in Florida you can ride 12 months a year. Here I don't know about yet, only been here since February..