Shipping a Motorcycle questions

obie

I will be moving from Florida to Hawaii and wanted to see if anyone had experience in shipping a motorcycle. I know I need to drain the gas, disconnect the battery and fold mirrors in, but if there anything else I should know? Is it a hassle and I would be better off just selling it? Also anyone know the typical cost associated with shipping a motorcycle? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

husker525

Check with your shipping company to see what requirements they have. Some require ALL the fluids to be drained, and the battery unhooked. As suggested, wrapping it in bubble wrap first is a great idea. The shipping company may have a connection with a crating company, and it is well worth it to have them crate it. The crating companies will come pick up the bike from your location, have it crated, and then make all the arrangements to get it to your delivery company. I have never shipped over the water, but have shipped several bikes/quads back and forth across the States.

Hope this helps.

redwing-2001

Also make sure that crating company has plenty of experience shipping motorcycles. Tieing one done properly will avoid damage to handlebars (they really shouldn't be used as a tie-down point for that long a distance anyway) and a good company will know all of the requirements. Check with your insurance and see if it covers damage while in shipping, probably not, so some type of extra coverage would be a good idea.

obie

Thanks for the info guys...I'll have to get quotes. I owe $5,500 I'm trying to figure out what is going to be cost effective selling or shipping.. I figure I will take a $1k - 1.5k loss if I sell.

anson650

Definately run the numbers, it might be cost effective to sell here and buy another there. I shipped a bike from Binghamton NY to San Francisco a few years ago. I had to drain the the fluids and remove and not ship the battery. After draining the gas tank I sprayed it with an oil mist. At the other end it was rinsed out with a cup of gas (maybe). I got a discount through AMA membership.
Good luck,
Anson

Last edited:

obie

So the quote I got was for $1,450 which includes them coming to my door step and picking it up and transporting it from FL to CA then be put on a boat to be transported to the Island. Seems pretty high. Guess I may be selling it.