Shift points to keep up with normal car speed

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Fraze

Interesting article. To do clutchless shifting, you shift the gear lever half way in the intended direction, quickly close the throttle tiny bit, shift the remaining half, and then quickly roll open the throttle?
If you are asking about how to regularly shift, you should probably avoid power shifting until you are more comfortable on the bike. Just shift when things sound and feel right...short of winding out every gear to 12k every time, you'll be fine. I regularly cruise around the city/traffic in 2nd or 3rd gear, the 6r is fine there .... proper down shifting and rev matching is what you should practice..

BzB

I'm surprised there's so much discussion around this. Maybe because I grew up driving a manual transmission car this seems like a non-issue to me. I basically shift when the bike needs to be shifted based on speed, rpm, and what I'm trying to do (overtake or just cruising along). Knowing this bike can pull strongly from 6k rpm it never seems to be in the wrong gear. And if I'm lower than that and lugging a quick shift down solves the problem.

I actually have to be more careful with the rev limiter when merging because the bike/engine is so smooth that if I'm not paying attention I'll hit the limiter easily when merging on the hwy.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

fz6rowner

More or less. Just nees a little pressure upward on shifter. When you close throttle shift it all the way and roll back on throttle. It's quite easy to do. Downshifting is harder and not recommended unless you feel like taking chances. It's a timing thing when blipping the throttle and downshifting. Doing it wrong on downshifts can mess up the tranny. Upshifts aren't as violent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I tried clutchless shifting today and the upshifting was very smooth going from 3rd to 4th, and the consecutive upshifts were even more smoother. The shift from 5th to 6th was a quick buttery transition with no noticeable drop in RPM.

But when I tried shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, it wasn't smooth at all but quite jerky, almost discouraging to try at these lower gears. Is this how it supposed to be?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member