Shift points to keep up with normal car speed

fz6rowner

I am beginner with no prior motorcycle experience. What would you recommend the shifting points be like from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc... so as to keep up with normal automatic cars starting from a stop light?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

fz6rowner

I have been shifting up based on speed, following what the fz6r manual recommends, and dont recall my RPM going over 3 or 4k.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motorsports/owners-manuals/2013/fz6r
Page 48
Shift up points:
1st -> 2nd = 20kph/12mph
2nd -> 3rd = 30kph/19mph
3rd -> 4th = 40kph/25mph
4th -> 5th = 50kph/31mph
5th -> 6th = 60kph/37mph

I wonder why they would recommend these? fuel efficiency?

I'll transition to shifting based on RPM, and hopefully will be able to keep up with the vehicles around me.

Last edited:

Rumpig

If i'm doing 60 kmh i'll be in 4th. Generally keep the revs around 4500 rpm, if they drop below that I go down a gear.

fz6rowner

Today, I shifted based on RPM. From stop light, start in 1st & rev up to 5k, shift to 2nd & rev up to 6k, shift to 3rd & rev up to 6k. At this point I was going 55mph, the speed limit on that street. Now, do I continue going in 3rd, or further shift up to 4th, 5th, and then to 6th, to maintain consistent speed but use lesser rpm and maximize fuel? What is a good practice once you achieve the desired speed limit, to shift up or not?

TDL2024

I shift around 7k or so; when I first got the bike I was treating it like a car and shifting early (around 4k)....then at the end of the tank I saw I averaged ~30mpg :(

Read on here that the bike likes to be between 6-8k, so I just keep it in that range while riding. For most cruising around town at 45-50mph I'm in 3rd at just under 7k. On the plus side fuel economy has settled to 45-46mph the last couple tanks :)

To "keep up" doesn't really require much...unless you run into BMW M series, Twin Turbo Mercedes, some of the newer 400hp sports cars, etc. For all other cars it's a pretty quick bike relatively speaking; so much so that I don't really worry about being overtaken by cars around me while I'm filtering to the front of stop lights. Just clean starts and smooth shifting and you're good to go!

Drennan57

Today, I shifted based on RPM. From stop light, start in 1st & rev up to 5k, shift to 2nd & rev up to 6k, shift to 3rd & rev up to 6k. At this point I was going 55mph, the speed limit on that street. Now, do I continue going in 3rd, or further shift up to 4th, 5th, and then to 6th, to maintain consistent speed but use lesser rpm and maximize fuel? What is a good practice once you achieve the desired speed limit, to shift up or not?
I shift up to top gear. No need to put extra strain on the engine it's not like 6th is overly tall anyways, the FZ has short ratios stock an it has no trouble pulling itself out of a hole at low rpm.

BluePill

If I am in stop and go traffic and will be doing a lot of shifting, I usually go to about 6K to 7K RPM and shift 2 gears when I pull the clutch in. So, 1st to 3rd, then 3rd to 5th. I do this because of left wrist injuries. Clutching a lot causes wrist fatigue. When it gets really bad, I have to stop for 10 to 15 minutes to rest.

You youngsters who haven't crashed a lot yet can ignore this advice. :)

fz6rowner

When taking off from a stop light I shift to 1st, and from 1st rev to 6k and then shift to 2nd. If I pull the clutch even 1/3rd way for this shifting, the rpm falls back to 4k. Then I rev it back to 6k.

To keep abreast of the car in the next lane, the sequence of 'press clutch, shift to 2nd, clutch release+open throttle' has to be done fairly quickly to recover the fall in rpm. What is the best way to shift up when speeding up in traffic? How much to press on the clutch - full, 1/2, 1/4 or a tiny squeeze, when shifting up?

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Rumpig

If I am in stop and go traffic and will be doing a lot of shifting, I usually go to about 6K to 7K RPM and shift 2 gears when I pull the clutch in. So, 1st to 3rd, then 3rd to 5th. I do this because of left wrist injuries. Clutching a lot causes wrist fatigue. When it gets really bad, I have to stop for 10 to 15 minutes to rest.

You youngsters who haven't crashed a lot yet can ignore this advice. :)
Do clutchless changes once your moving. Just back off the throttle a smidge and kick it up a gear, get it right it's smooth as.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Drennan57

Couldn't agree more! I used to only downshift clutch less, but find myself up shifting that way a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

It's not a semi tranny. There is a reason it has a clutch, I hear the Can-Am spider is semi. Maybe try that?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member