She kept me safe again

Wooster

Well I finally had my first real close call this weekend. I took a 7 hour trip to upstate NY to see the family. On the way back Monday I was driving in a light rain and was coming off the interstate heading down the off ramp when my brakes locked up. Like I said, the road was wet, tires were hot and I just braked as usual using both the front and rear and next thing I know the bike just keeps going all the way to the bottom of the exit and right through the red traffic light and intersection. Hell I must have hydroplaned 15 yards or so. I thank God there were no cars coming in either direction or I would have been in trouble.

I've got limited riding experience and even less so in the rain so I was surprised I was able to keep it upright. Needless to say the lesson learned is to slow down much earlier on exit ramps in the rain and if you do lock the brakes up, just hang on for the ride. I'm rewarding my bike this week with a nice fresh oil change for keeping me upright :)

Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

DavidB455

You'd only ride about 50 days a year in Glasgow, Scotland if you worried about the rain, sleet and snow and the temperature. Your right, just practice, I have ridden my XJ6 in downpours and it still stays right way up if your not harsh on it.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Superzoom

Glad you're OK and kept her upright. That's some pretty good skill.

I'm guessing you weren't really hydroplaning, but were instead sliding on all the oil that accumulated at every stoplight. Rain makes that stuff super slippery. As a rule, you want to ride super smooth in the rain, but it's just after it's started raining that the road is supposed to be most slippery, before the stuff on the road has been washed away.

BKP

Did you consider engine braking?

In questionable weather (or questionable surfaces) I use a combination front/rear and engine braking... heavy on the engine braking. It's become muscle memory, and it will help to keep you from locking up...

Oh... and by the way... *very* glad to hear that intersection turned out to be benign... and you're fine... li'l angel sitting on your shoulder on Monday...

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

CtrlAltDl

I'm guessing you weren't really hydroplaning, but were instead sliding on all the oil that accumulated at every stoplight. Rain makes that stuff super slippery. As a rule, you want to ride super smooth in the rain, but it's just after it's started raining that the road is supposed to be most slippery, before the stuff on the road has been washed away.
I agree, I ride nearly 100 days a year in the rain and I've yet to experience hydroplaning. I find that motorcycles "cut" through the water better than most other vehicles.

In the rain, you need to stay out of the center of the lane (super slick). Treat the roads as if you are driving in snow and every corner is covered in ice. Just be super smooth with the brakes and engine braking. Give your self the extra space, and remember do all your braking before any turns.

linkgt

I agree, I ride nearly 100 days a year in the rain and I've yet to experience hydroplaning. I find that motorcycles "cut" through the water better than most other vehicles.

In the rain, you need to stay out of the center of the lane (super slick). Treat the roads as if you are driving in snow and every corner is covered in ice. Just be super smooth with the brakes and engine braking. Give your self the extra space, and remember do all your braking before any turns.
This. I rode in a REALLY bad downpour last month on the expressway.. Kept my cool and was surprised how well it performed. I have Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires which are supposed to be a lot better for rain, so not sure if that had to do with it. No hydroplaning, brakes locking up, etc. I slow down a lot on exits too because I had VERY close call with my cager going on an exit ramp once( I went in a bit too fast, brakes locked up an the car spun.. luckily no cars around)...

Wooster

Glad you're OK and kept her upright. That's some pretty good skill.

The more I think about it, you're probably right. Chances are it was probably more to do with the oil on the wet road than actual hydroplaning because it was only a light rain and there weren't any big puddles. But then again after sliding for for what felt like 15-20 yards, you'd think the tires would eventually get their grip again. Hell I basically had to do a Fred Flinstone and put my feet down to stop. I don't know, bottom line is I just hit that exit too fast. Leason learned. Oh yeah and she got her fresh oil change today as her reward. Some nice new Honda HP4 semi synthetic oil and K&N filter:)

Superzoom

The more I think about it, you're probably right. Chances are it was probably more to do with the oil on the wet road than actual hydroplaning because it was only a light rain and there weren't any big puddles. But then again after sliding for for what felt like 15-20 yards, you'd think the tires would eventually get their grip again. Hell I basically had to do a Fred Flinstone and put my feet down to stop. I don't know, bottom line is I just hit that exit too fast. Leason learned. Oh yeah and she got her fresh oil change today as her reward. Some nice new Honda HP4 semi synthetic oil and K&N filter:)
Well, again, I'm glad you made it out safe!

I myself have found my rear tire sliding out sideways once when I gave my bike throttle in a light rain. I was changing lanes.

jocampo

Did you consider engine braking?

In questionable weather (or questionable surfaces) I use a combination front/rear and engine braking... heavy on the engine braking. It's become muscle memory, and it will help to keep you from locking up...

Oh... and by the way... *very* glad to hear that intersection turned out to be benign... and you're fine... li'l angel sitting on your shoulder on Monday...
True.

I even do that with my Speed6, which is manual shift.

buzzbomb

Elite Member