Seat lock stuck

orourkei

Hey all. I have a brand new '13 fz06 thats got a little over 300 miles on it. I went to go take the seat off to put it back to the low setting and measure to see how much cable I would need to install a USB charger but the passenger seat wouldn't budge! Ive taken it off plenty of times before so I'm not sure what the issue is. It will only seem to turn a few degrees counter clockwise before it seems to catch. I sprayed some WD 40 in it to try to loosen it up and i wiggles the key up down in out backward forward. you name it. all while moving the seat pushing it up, down etc etc. no luck . I cant get the dang thing to budge. Any idea's?

Headlessmunky

Maybe try the dealer. You said your bike was new and it should have a warranty. I would use a graphite based lubricant designed for locks.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

orourkei

probably going to call the dealer at this point unless I can find a better diagram of the locking mechanism. from the right side of the bike I can see the metal "loop" thats from the passenger seat and when I turn the key I see the latch but it looks like it keeps getting stuck on something. I tried wiggling the mechanism with a probe and a screwdriver . I had my girlfriend sit on it while i was fiddling, had her turn the key while i sat on it. Its just getting hung up on something. cant say what.

like I said I'm new to this bike model so I don't know the ins and outs of it yet. If some one could steer me in the right direction of how the damn mechanism works ( so I could maybe apply some force in the right direction to coax it along) or even take off the main seat for easier access I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

edit: this is what I was going off of earlier to get a better idea of what i was working with. If i could unbolt 26 and 31 could I remove the front seat to get access to the locking mechanism? I have it set to the " high" configuration so there is enough clearance to access those bolts.

Last edited:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

orourkei

I was thinking 26 because that's what's connecting 21 to the seat its self. I guess I don't need the seat off before I would take it to the dealer anyway( I was just looking to add a battery tender USB charger)

orourkei

so I solved the problem...

Short version : the tool pouch opened up and the screwdriver fell forward and lodged in-between the mechanism . ITs fixed!

Long version: First bolts I removed were 31 from the seat parts page and 16 from the tank page. that gave me clearance to access to the bolts that held #17 in place. at the point I could lift the tank and the seat enough to get the driver seat out of the part that holds it to the tank. then I unscrewed # 26 on the seat picture. I think at that point I was able to remove the driver seat and see what was happening to the locking mechanism. saw the screwdriver. It was wedged in there so I grabbled some pliers and pulled the shaft of it out leaving the handle behind but luckily that was enough . the seat immediately popped off and I was able to remove all the tools and make sure the mechanism worked problem free before I put the seat back on. so I bolted it all back on and sent for a ride!

I think the only reason I was able to access the bolts was because the seat was in the " high" positing which gave me the clearance I needed. . Moral of the story. Keep that bag closed!

2013 Yamaha FZ6R FZ6RDL FUEL TANK Parts, 2013 Yamaha FZ6R FZ6RDL FUEL TANK OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com parts list for tank

Last edited:

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

orourkei

I was able to get everything back once I popped the back seat off. . the pouch is tied off and strapped down this time. nothing loose! I set my seat to the low position to try it out for a bit so I wouldn't be able to take the seat off that way again if I wanted to.

latony007

i would suggest two people, have one hold the key while the other jiggles the seat around to get it to come off, its a major pain. I had my seats redone because they suck on this bike. I also added a USB charger to my Battery Tender Cable.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0158-Disconnect-Charger/dp/B00DJ5KEF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404176071&sr=8-1&keywords=sae+to+usb"]Amazon.com: Battery Tender 081-0158 Black Quick Disconnect Plug with USB Charger: Automotive[/ame]