seat height question

Amberfz6r

Be careful when lowering I loosened I think it was four bolts slowly and it was supposed to go down slowly and it just went down fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest being careful using the preload adjustment to aid you in being able to flat foot, that's really not what it's for. There's quite a difference in handling between the lowest and highest settings.

Also, as an inseam challenged 5'5" guy, checkout the Daytona M-Star GTX boots. They're pretty pricey, but fantastic! In addition to being just really good quality riding boots, they give me somewhere around an extra 2" of reach. They have a (I think) cork insole. From the outside they look totally normal. With my height and ~29" inseam I can flat foot my stock FZ6R wearing these. Also my rear preload is at 5 so not much sag. To me they were worth the expense. They can always be sent back to Germany to be re-soled/repaired should you need it.

They also make me want to be like George Constanza with his Timberlands (seen that episode?) and never take them off :D They are a tad awkward to walk in with the thick insole but it's not bad at all.

Check 'em out, Revzilla has them.

xorbe

I suggest being careful using the preload adjustment to aid you in being able to flat foot, that's really not what it's for. There's quite a difference in handling between the lowest and highest settings.
The default is 3 and the softest is 1. The way I ride casually, it won't won't make a difference ... and checking the tire pressure from the way the seller gave it to me ate up anything I got from that. 19 psi ... :facepalm:

Oh man, so I got on my old low Ninja 250 after riding the FZ6R for a week -- I've changed my mind, that's too low! Super easy, but it felt like a lawn chair, haha.

xorbe

I've never felt overly short (or tall) in 40 years, but looking in the mirror, seems like I perhaps have a taller chest and my lower legs are a bit short, just comparing against pics of other runners online. Approx inseam of 30-31". Another challenge probably is my large upper thigh muscles from speed running.

Things have been ordered: 2" lowering link from eBay, Soupy's adjustable kickstand, 17/43 sprockets + Speedohealer, Corbin seat, Puig w/s.

Last edited:

xorbe

Things have been ordered: 2" lowering link from eBay, Soupy's adjustable kickstand, 17/43 sprockets + Speedohealer, Corbin seat, Puig w/s.
(And front/rear stands.)

Everything arrived, except Corbin is totally mia. I guess I'll have to call them to see if they misplaced my order or what.

Kerrie

Hi there

I know this post was a long time ago, but I struggled to touch the ground and I don't understand as the seat height is stated as 785mm which is the same as the Ninja 300. We have taken the seat adjuster out and now have lowered the suspension and the front forks. I am not quite 5'2 so you can see my problem. I have ridden an earlier model and it didn't seem as tall.

I'm wondering if the problem is the width of the seat and I am going to look at having an upholsterer make the front of the seat narrower. Has anyone tried this?

That’s odd that an earlier model seemed okay to you. Other than (according to a rather astute member here) a slight change to the passenger grab handles, there haven’t been ANY real changes made to this bike since it was introduced. The width of the seat is certainly a factor. Are you sure it’s the factory seat on your bike and not something aftermarket? I’m just confused on how an earlier model could have seemed okay. I guess you’re confused about that too.

I see you’ve done everything you can to lower it. Have you checked the preload on the rear shock? As I stated like 3 years ago (haha), it shouldn't be used to adjust height. But if you’re light and it’s set high, that could be a factor for you because the suspension won’t sag much or at all. Also you’ll have better handling on a low setting assuming you’re light.

Best of luck making it work for you and welcome to the community!

MadMaxx

I think it has as much to do with hip width as it does with inseam.

I'm 5'7" and almost flat foot in the high setting, it's honestly more comfortable than how much of my lower abdomen is contacting the "corner" of the tank in the low position, so I use that.

Kerrie

Yes, I am definitely confused. I bought it brand new in 2017 as old stock so I assume it is the factory seat.

I am fairly light (would like to be lighter of course) and the lowering doesn't seem to have affected the handling so I could leave it as it is! But, I do wonder if it has affected the safety in an emergency braking situation so would like to raise it back up if I could and that's why I am wondering about the seat width.

Kerrie

The problem for me is when I stop and I am on loose gravel or uneven ground, and as it quite heavy for me, I loose my confidence trying to park it and not drop it!

Maybe I should spend some time at the gym and get stronger legs!!!

Last edited:

Wish I had some info to offer on modifying the factory seat but I don’t. Doesn’t look as though there’s a whole lot to work with as far as narrowing it goes but couldn’t hurt to have someone knowledgeable look at it. There are aftermarket seat options such as those from Corbin but those tend to actually sit a little higher. They do offer some customization so might not hurt to give the folks at Corbin a call to discuss it. They’re pricey though.

What makes you think that it being lowered would be more dangerous in emergency braking? I donn’t know for sure but don’t see why it would be dangerous.

I get it about the loose gravel and uneven ground. This is quite a top heavy bike. My best suggestion for that would be to consider some beefier boots. Check out the offerings from Daytona boots. They have several lady specific models with higher heels/soles to help get more reach to the ground. They also happen to be really excellent quality boots too! Pretty expensive but should last a very long time plus they offer repair and reconditioning on their boots should you need it in the future.