Sauce Recipe

One of my hobbies includes grilling/smoking. This weekend, being a Veteran, my wife asked what I would like for dinner. I, in turn, told her I would like to smoke a brisket. But we are smoking a brisket for an out of town guest next weekend. So I will be smoking a boston butt and making pulled pork.

My problem is the sauce. I would like to make a sweet mustard based sauce, but don't have any recipes for anything other than ketchup or vinegar based sauces. Any of you out there have any recipes? (Besides the ones on a google search)

Thanks in advance.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have one for a mustard base. However, I really like making a glaze using Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce and adding orange juice to it. The orange juice adds an additional layer of sweetness and acidity.

JSP

Super Moderator
I don't have one for a mustard base. However, I really like making a glaze using Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce and adding orange juice to it. The orange juice adds an additional layer of sweetness and acidity.
LOVE Sweet Baby Ray's!

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Thick and sweet with a bit of heat.

Thinking this might work, gonna play with the measurements though:

Yellow mustard
molasses (to thicken and add some sweet)
apple cider vinegar (for the tang)
honey (more sweet)
oregano
thyme
ground black pepper
cayenne (for the heat)

I don't know if any of you have ever been to Luling, TX before, but there is a place, Luling Market, that has the BEST mustard based sauce I have ever tasted. But their recipe is top secret. Damn them and their tasty secret!

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Get a sample of their sauce. Then, find someone that can run mass spectrometry to tell you what all is in the sauce. Secret no more! LOL

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Last edited:
So... this is what I did.
1 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp powdered oregano
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne

Mixed all in a saucepan and brought to a boil. Then simmered for about 10-15 minutes while stirring. Gotta admit, it smelled like death as I was adding the ingredients one at a time, but once it was simmering... wow, it is pretty darn good. Oh yeah, used about 1/2 tsp of oil to mix all the dry ingredients before adding the wet. Once it cooled, it thickened just right (IMO). The wife doesn't like mustard at all, but she liked the sauce. Thinking next time, may leave out the oregano, and maybe add some garlic powder.

On Friday, going to smoke the 9lb boston butt for roughly 11 hours at around 225. Then I'll let it rest for an hour, and then pull it apart. Can't wait.

I plan on one day quitting the IT biz and opening a small BBQ joint. When I win the lottery, of course.

Attachments

Last edited:

Crocop43

I got a great one first u need to slow cook ur butt in white vinegar....this makes it very tender....now for the sauce buy mustard powder ,honey crushed red pepper paprika and salt and pepper .....mix all those together until depending on what flavirs u want to stand out the most....me I like putting alot of red pepper to make it spicy...once u mix all those together mix in some white vinegar or appl cider vinegar I prefer apple cider until u make a thick sauce and use the sauce how u see fit it's better to pull the pork then place it on tin foil....then place the sauce all over it then put on the grill until it caramelizes it....and then u eat....good stuff

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Thank you all for your input and I will let you know how it turns out with the pulled pork.

And I know it's early, but I just can't seem to say it enough... To all of you who served, I thank you.

To let you all know, the pork and the sauce were a huge hit. Didn't even have any leftovers.

Last edited: