Sargent Seats

creggur

I was at Sargent Cycle Seats in Jacksonville today and spoke to them about some custom work on my wife's FZ6R seat as they didn't have anything in production.

If you've ever owned a Sargent you know the quality is impeccable and their customer service is top-drawer as well. I've got one on my VFR and can spend all day in the saddle without getting the numb-butt.

They will need some demand to start building seats for the FZ6R - I don't know what the market would be, but if you guys ever want to see one you need to let them know you're out here. To give you an idea of price the seat for the FZ1 runs $279.00 to $299.00.

The custom work we're going to have done on my wife's bike which will be recovering with their Carbon FX material, replace the foam with their Super Cell foam, cutting the sides down for easier ground reach, and adding pink piping to match the graphics would be between $125.00 and $200.00. She would need to see the seat to give me a more firm quote...

I don't work for Sargent and am in no way compensated, just a very happy customer with their work....

owldaddy

I have one of their seats on my BMW. They are excellent. I hope they come out with one for the 6R.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

creggur

I'll give them a call and see what criteria they use to start production for a model. Anyone know, off hand, how many 6R units Yamaha has sold in the past two years? I'm sure they use a total units sold to gauge possible demand if they offer a new product, but customer requests would probably come into play as well.

If anyone is interested in getting a custom unit made, it's really and affordable route as they use our seat pans instead of their custome sourced (or built, not sure) units. The lady I spoke to did say the lead time right now is about two weeks as this is their busy season - Fall and winter the time shortens as their production slows...

I'll also get a point of contact for anyone interested in custom work.

creggur

Talked to Troy at Sargent, and he said that their R&D department uses a combination of customer requests, and overall popularity of a bike to determine if the investment is worth it to start production on a new model. He also said he would mention the FZ6R to the R&D guys specifically to look into the 6R as a potential model.

In the mean-time he said that the custom seat service they offer is essentially a World Sport Seat built on your existing seat pan. If anyone is interested you can call Tony, Cindy, or Antonio to talk about the options. The number is 800-749-7328. I'll post up when we get the wife's done, but because the turn-around on a custom is two weeks right now, we're going to wait till fall to get the work done...

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

creggur

Great topic.. Here's what we need.. contact info and the contact personnel who is WAITING for our calls so they can tally up with an idea of how many FZ6R owners are"in demand" of a new seat. Then suggest a group buy with discount for an extended point of time.

So get to work.. :p

:beer:
Well Cindy is the one I spoke to in person, so I would suggest using her as a point of contact. I don't know if they would do a discounted group buy, but it's certainly worth asking. They may work with us if there were enough people interested.

Since the 6R seat is similar to the FZ1 you can take a look at their offerings for the FZ1 Linky and see if it's something you'd truly be interested in asthetically...