Rusty Chain

In late November, I put my FZ6R away for the winter. Fuel stabilizer, battery tender, and in the garage. I believe I had cleaned and lubed my chain not long before that. Anyway, it looked good when I put it away.

Fast forward to now. I started the bike up last week, just to hear it run, and then glanced down at the chain. It seems so rusty, although I think it is all surface rust (see pic). I'm thinking that with the right cleaning and lubing in the spring, that this should be fine. Any advice? I hope I'm not looking at a new chain with only about 4,000 miles on it.

Thanks.

Attachments

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Check your chain tension/ slack too

latony007

I agree with scott but seems like a pretty short time for that much rust. you live in a humid environment or something?

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member
I agree with scott but seems like a pretty short time for that much rust. you live in a humid environment or something?

No, actually it's pretty dry in winter, but the garage is kinda damp from all the snow that melts off the cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

RavenriderFZ6R

Chain cleaning

I used Instant Gum cutter to cleaned mine last spring it really helped out with the rust and the old lubricant, and rust accumulated from the winter. I had to go to autozone and ask the guy in the back where they keep the supplies for mechanic shops rather than the stuff for the general public. Here is a video of a guy using that stuff on the internet, :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaBeUELcpSY