Rpm

Billy Ho

Hello I recently bought a FZ6R. I noticed when i was cruising at 60 to 70 mph the rpm where getting really high. Just wondering if this is normal and also if I ride at that speed for a long period of time will it hurt the bike?

Bert-Aus

Um, have you tried changing gears?:p

Don't get too concerned, the engine is designed to run higher rpm and being Japanese designed In-line 4, it performs better at higher rpm (+6k) and is very reliable.
A number of members here have their bikes over & above 50k miles

Other engine configurations are tuned/ geared for lower running rpm

Kdubb223

Yeah that is normal. I ride on the freeway to school everyday and I do about 80mph and my rpm is close to 8k in 6th gear with stock sprockets.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

pkoko

If you think 11k redline is high... Check out the stratospheric 18K rpm redline on Yamaha's R6.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Um, have you tried changing gears?:p

Don't get too concerned, the engine is designed to run higher rpm and being Japanese designed In-line 4, it performs better at higher rpm (+6k) and is very reliable.
A number of members here have their bikes over & above 50k miles

Other engine configurations are tuned/ geared for lower running rpm
Japanese bikes, especially inline 4s vs twins, require higher RPMs to get HP out of their small displacement. Its torque multiplied by rpm divided by 5252 = HP. If you have a steady torque curve, your HP should increase linearly. Larger engine cars dont need to be revved as much since they make more torque to make up for lower rpms. Thats one reason why all our power is in the high rpms and the R6 can rev to 18k :)eek:).

Chucker

I read a report on a test once where they took a VFR1200 and ran it on an oval track at redline for 24 hours, obviously with rider changes and pit stops. There were no oil changes performed during this test. They then tore down the engine to inspect it. What they found was that there was very little wear from factory specs. I think I remember reading that there were still machine marks on the cylinder walls from when it was first made.

Bottom line is, they're made to run at this speed. Redline is set well below the acceptable maximum RPM. This is to ensure the engine is kept well within the safe range.

latony007

It sounds like it wants to shift at 5k when you first get it and have been doing the break in period etc. but after a while you realize its really not peak at 5k. I hear, and think its correct, that this bike actually gets its best gas mileage around 6500. at 80 im turning about 7000, 70 =6000 etc.

latony007

So when should you shift out of 1st ? 6k or 5k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First is really short gear but i usually shift around 6. Your in Anaheim? i ride down there once in a while my brother lives in Yorba Linda. usually we meet at Angles crest because its kinda in the middle and a great ride. GO ANGELS!

Cstewart101

First is really short gear but i usually shift around 6. Your in Anaheim? i ride down there once in a while my brother lives in Yorba Linda. usually we meet at Angles crest because its kinda in the middle and a great ride. GO ANGELS!

Yea. Go angels. We have a local group who try to ride together thru Ortega hwy and cooks corner. I'm always near yorba Linda I feel like.

Bert-Aus

My trip to MotoGP at Phillip Island (round trip of 3300) in 2013, myself & my brother followed a car for a period that had me riding at around 10k rpm in top gear for a stint of 300km (distance) -keep in mind this was on open road with very little traffic on it.
We were laughing our heads off, as we were shocked that we were able to ride like that for such a long period unchecked.
Anyhow we pulled over for petrol assuming we would need it, waving goodbye to out impatient stool pidgeon.
Upon filling up I could only put 12 litres into the tank! (17L max capacity)

Where previously the best mileage I had eversqueezed out of her (this was on my XJ6S) 314kms, without running dry, & that time I still had about 1.25 litres left in tank.

TL:DR -My point is this engine gets better mileage the harder you run it.
City mileage will always suck, due to multiple stop starts, stuck in traffic & low running through side streets etc.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

latony007

Yea. Go angels. We have a local group who try to ride together thru Ortega hwy and cooks corner. I'm always near yorba Linda I feel like.

Im desperate for some good rides over there. Its just all city, there is one that my brother took me on i think its the 142 where there is a little motorcycle bar/restaurant thingy? I will see if i can find ortega highway on the map if you know any others close let me know.

I have tickets to game 5 of the division series, which i hope is not needed, and game 1 of the american league championship series.

Cstewart101

Im desperate for some good rides over there. Its just all city, there is one that my brother took me on i think its the 142 where there is a little motorcycle bar/restaurant thingy? I will see if i can find ortega highway on the map if you know any others close let me know.

I have tickets to game 5 of the division series, which i hope is not needed, and game 1 of the american league championship series.

I work at angel stadium part time. Up in the knothole club. Club level access only tho. Always nice to see a local rider.

latony007

I work at angel stadium part time. Up in the knothole club. Club level access only tho. Always nice to see a local rider.

That is so cool. I have been up there a couple times, they still allow anyone up after the 7th or something? Diamond is where its at though, unfortunately i can only get those when someone else pays lol.

If you ever head over to ACH let me know.

Cstewart101

That is so cool. I have been up there a couple times, they still allow anyone up after the 7th or something? Diamond is where its at though, unfortunately i can only get those when someone else pays lol.

If you ever head over to ACH let me know.

Ach? And with the playoffs It will be after 4th inning before everyone else is allowed in. I hear people prefer knothole to the diamond club. Once in a while diamond is good.