RPM range

Btown647

Im just about to get my 600 mile service. So i was wondering after your service how did it affect what range you rode in? what range do you guys ride in?

neshi

Im just about to get my 600 mile service. So i was wondering after your service how did it affect what range you rode in? what range do you guys ride in?
I after the 600 mile service I started to stay in the when on the highway 7000rpm range and moved in and out of 8 & 9 thousand when passing on the highway!

On the street nothing relay changed in the 3 - 4 thousand range between 25 and 40mph

angelsneverlose

ive always been in 3-5 range before 600miles, sometimes a lil more on highway or if i had too... (change oil @ 150miles btw), and now that I had my 600 miles service, i ride how i feel like it... i push it now! the dealer even told me its ok now!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I have over 3300 miles and I cruise on the street between 4-5k. The TBR exhaust sounds nice in that range, plus I have power to move or pass if need be. On the highway, I ride around 6-8k depending on if just cruising or passing.

fz6rwolf

yep, 4-5K on the street, sometimes on somewhat curvy roads bit higher. Highway usually 7-8k range.

JSP

Super Moderator
+1 on the above!

WenMark

These bikes are pretty durable,: but I asked several veterans who have said up to the break in period just don't keep it above 8k for any length of time. After 600 to 1k just ride it regularly then above 1k you can scream if you want too. I have started to get more accustomed to 6-8k in 6th. But for the most part i have been in the 5-6k range. I did unlease her yesterday on a pass of some Harley riders and i must say she has a mean bitch streak in her at 8k. That was really cool to open it up and have some fun. :thumbup:

fz6rwolf

Yesterday I too got caught behind 2 HD riders who were cruising at a decent pace but the road had a few curves so I really wanted to go bit faster. After about 2 miles I finally found a stretch I could safely pass, was in 5th going about 50 so didn't drop down, just rolled the throttle and was gone from them. Since I was wearing a real helmet (not skid lid like they were, as helmet of some kind are required in Mass, or I'm sure they wouldn't have those on) they probably thought I was a young buck. lol

Btown647

These bikes are pretty durable,: but I asked several veterans who have said up to the break in period just don't keep it above 8k for any length of time. After 600 to 1k just ride it regularly then above 1k you can scream if you want too. I have started to get more accustomed to 6-8k in 6th. But for the most part i have been in the 5-6k range. I did unlease her yesterday on a pass of some Harley riders and i must say she has a mean bitch streak in her at 8k. That was really cool to open it up and have some fun. :thumbup:
I'm tired of waiting haha i want to be in the power band so badly all the time.

Interesting. I came from CBR125R and used to riding in high rpm. I usually ride in the 8000 +rpm range in the street and highway. For first service I just kept varying the rpm up and down sometimes hitting 10,000 because it's so addictive. When I got to around 800 km's with the engine it started to feel strong.

zig308

Got 22 miles on mine now :D I had her up to bout 6-7k for a second yesterday, but have mostly been staying in the 4-5k range cruising around town just practicing turns, curves, turn signals, stoppies...jk, going up/down gears, and stopping/starting at stop signs.

I'm still newbin' it, but I'm in my comfort zone.

Allan

I've got up to 200km's now. As a newbie, i'm just practicing my riding style as well, and feel quite comfortable between 4k and 5k. Not rushed above 6k yet.

bmw675

Got 22 miles on mine now :D I had her up to bout 6-7k for a second yesterday, but have mostly been staying in the 4-5k range cruising around town just practicing turns, curves, turn signals, stoppies...jk, going up/down gears, and stopping/starting at stop signs.

I'm still newbin' it, but I'm in my comfort zone.
sounds like me, ive got less than 25 miles on this bike and total riding experience. went down a straight county road yesterday to try a little more speed. im feeling comfortable except for turning at intersections from a dead stop, it doesnt want to turn...:eek:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
sounds like me, ive got less than 25 miles on this bike and total riding experience. went down a straight county road yesterday to try a little more speed. im feeling comfortable except for turning at intersections from a dead stop, it doesnt want to turn...:eek:
From a dead stop, it helps to turn the handle bars to full lock in the direction you want to turn. Then as you roll on the throttle and ease the clutch out, the bike will make the turn no problem. Take it to an open parking lot and practice this technique (one they should teach you in the MSF course). ;)

jay

past 700 miles

got the first service done today now i can go upto 7k rpm until 1000miles. had been riding at 5800rpm max or 64ml/hr for the first 600 miles. feels great to be able to go above that limit. been 2 weeks since i bought the bike and i love riding it on the freeways. it sucks to ride in the city with all the red lights and speed cameras.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

adidaskid810

one thing i also do when i approach a turn is to position the bike in the lane farthest from the corner or lane 1 and turn the bike toward a 45 degree angle with the tire facing toward the way you want turn. i can draw a picture if it doesn't make sense to you. otherwise what 99 said works just as effectively!

redwing-2001

there are subtle 90 degree turns throughtout the Basic RiderCourse, turning from a stop is just not a main objective anymore. Advice above is good, but don't forget to turn your head and look where you want to go and above all don't look down. Sometimes hard to do this, but once you get it, it is magical.

ramflyer1899

Aww man I remember the first time that happened to me! I almost hit a stopped car in the other lane. Learned a lot from that one mistake.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member