RPM Range

WenMark

During my 1st 100 or so miles I have noticed the RPM's (seems high) around 5k even in 6th gear at 60mph. As the engines breaks in will it adjust lower. It just seems to be running high on RPM's or is that normal?

JSP

Super Moderator
Tis normal ;) Its a sport bike, they are meant to run in the higher RPM ranges.

fz6rwolf

Yep, took bit getting used to coming from cruisers but now I don't worry when speeding up at 9k;)

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
:Im With Stupid:

Yep, it's normal. Since the powerband on sportbikes is pretty high, cruising around at 5-6k rpm is no problem.

Plus, at those rpm's it makes it more fun to give the throttle a quick little twist and rocket off for a bit. :rockon:

WenMark

Thanks guys When do you suggest at what amount of miles can I open her up? I have been taking her easy during break in, but what RPM should I not exceed like from 1st to 6th? After 1k miles can I shift at 8k RPM's. I want to see what she can do after a while. Any body else get a little anxious to open it up once in a while?:D

rleckert

Thanks guys When do you suggest at what amount of miles can I open her up? I have been taking her easy during break in, but what RPM should I not exceed like from 1st to 6th? After 1k miles can I shift at 8k RPM's. I want to see what she can do after a while. Any body else get a little anxious to open it up once in a while?:D
I am still in the break-in period and just about every time out I twist the throttle a bit, but don't keep it there long though. From what I understand as long as it is only momentary it won't hurt anything, might even do it some good......

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, open her up every now and again!! Just don't keep it at high rpm's until out of your break-in period. It's a blast, and you won't help but to do it frequently after the first time. :rockon:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
You should be okay. The manual gives those guidelines for breaking in the motor, but they are just suggestions. The most important thing to keep in mind is to vary the rpm's. Don't worry too much if you go above the suggested rpm's as long as you are not staying at a constant rpm you'll be fine. During my break-in, I would occasionally hop on the interstate for one exit, just to get the rpm's up. Once you get past 1000 miles, you are going to be even more in love with this bike.

BTW, Cross Lake is pretty fun to ride around. I live just south of the lake near Ford Park, and that's where I like to take short rides.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member
Last edited: