Riding with kids

bsoder

Anybody else out there ride with kids as passengers? I ride with both my 5 year old daughter and my 8 year old stepson.

We use this harness this helmet.

Honestly I thought more people would think I am crazy for taking kids this age out on a bike but we get nothing but thumbs up from fellow riders and little more respect from the cagers. Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas on riding with kids?

flyingminno

Well It's good that you're using the harness and everything. As far as opinions, I'm biased. My dad took me out regularly, commuting me to and from school about 20 miles away. So I loved it and it's what started my love of riding.

bsoder

Same here. I grew up on the back of my dad's bike. Had my first bike when I was about 8 years old. That probably explains why I prefer to be on 2 wheels and don't think it's the least bit crazy to take my kids for rides.

JSP

Super Moderator
I think it goes by how comfortable you feel with your kids and if you trust them. I would love to take my 5 year old girl on mine, but 1. she cant really get a good footing on the pegs, and 2. I just dont think I could trust her back there. She gets really excited and wired up too easy. It would kill me if anything were to happen, so its just not time yet. Maybe in a year or two she will be ready.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bsoder

You guys are dead on - safety is number 1 when you are riding with a kid. We started slow just going around the neighborhood with frequent stops for a kind of after action review. My daughter had a hard time remembering to hold on so until we found the harness I put her in one of my large sweatshirts and tied the arms around my waist. I wouldn't recommend it for a long ride but at least they can experience it and you'll know how well they do before spending money on gear.

neshi

Only with my little sister 14. Though i did teach her how to ride on my VX535 she is really good and cant wait for the next two years to get her permit.
Anybody else teaching siblings/children how to ride?

FZ6Rmibmo

My thanks for the harness info in the original post.

I've taken my 6-yr-old out a few times and I ride carefully on back roads when I take her, although I worry about the weight of her full-face helmet versus the strength of her neck muscles should we ever find ourselves on the ground. So I've decided to look seriously into one of the motorcycling "neck braces." Leatt sells high end units, and my daughter is within the spec height and chest size for a size small brace. They're pricey, but probably well worth it if they work as advertised and ever had to be counted on.

Does anyone have any experience with Leatt or any other neck injury prevention units on kids?

Thanks.

bsoder

I don't want to sound like a salesman for the harness I linked to before but it actually has neck support.

streetmaster

I've got a pair of 6 year old, boy/girl twins & they're both itching to go for a ride with me.
Unfortunately for them the law down here prohibits pillions under 8.
Just as well. I'm gonna have to save up for two sets of gear as my son is about 3" taller.

Roaddawg

I've got a pair of 6 year old, boy/girl twins & they're both itching to go for a ride with me.
Unfortunately for them the law down here prohibits pillions under 8.
Just as well. I'm gonna have to save up for two sets of gear as my son is about 3" taller.
You need a sidecar :thumbup: