Riding with a child on board?

nlpyle

So I was curious what you think about haveing a child on your back seat?
The reason I ask is the state of Washington it is a law the children under 5 are not allowed to ride on bikes. And children between 5-12 be able to reach the pegs, wear a DOT helmet and have either a back rest or something to hold on to( arms around the adult) While I agree with that I don't feel as though that is enough.
It is interesting that in cars you have to ride in a booster seat until I think something like you are at least eighty pounds and You can't ride in the front seat until you are at least 13 but also have to be over 4 feet something. Just seems be a lot more laws for children in cars rather than on bikes. With this summer coming up I can only remember last summer where a father was riding with a child on the back and the child had on shorts, t-shirt, tennie shoes, and a helmet that didn't really seem to fit all that well. I don't have kids of my own but I really think you would want to take better care of them. I ride only with gear on and have had my fare share of close calls. I can only imagine having a close call with a child on the back.

Maybe I am over reacting. I just think there should be a little more seriousness with children on motorcycles like there are with children in automobiles. So I would like to know how you all feel about that. Thanks for your time.

arkkornkid

I remember riding on the back of my dad's Goldwing when I was 10 or younger, basically just held on to him. Granted it had back support so I wouldn't just fly off the back....

and this is what developed my love for motorcycles and so I can't help but smile on the rare occasion that I see a kid on the back of a bike.

Personally, I wouldn't ride a kid on a sportbike. Having said that, I think a reasonably sensible rider knows his own child and whether or not they have the common sense to be a good passenger. I tend not to judge other riders (except for the dumba$$es that stunt on the highways).... car drivers: that's a whole other discussion.

ME_with_a_B

I've seen riders on the expressways with kids on the back... usually the rider has on gear and helmet, kid is in street clothes - no additional protection.

It really disappoints me that certain riders don't have more sense to protect their passengers.

Personally, I don't think kids belong on a bike.

(And if I had kids of my own, they would be forbidden to ride 2up until they were tall enough to touch the ground from the riders seat. "because I said so")

dbw727

Having 2 younger boys, 5 and 7yo, I wanted to chime in. I had a scooter priot to the 6R and would take my 7yo (then 6) on it in the neighborhood every now and then, full face helmet. With the 6R, I have only taken him out once on neighborhood roads (<30mph) in winter, where he had a helmet and was bundled up in jeans and a thick jacket (even had hime wear my old gloves). I am torn between taking him out occasionally now that it is hot (and he doesn't really have hot weather gear other than jeans and a helmet) and telling him no. If he continues to express and interest, and enjoy his few trips, perhaps I invest in better gear for him tafg along from time to time. I don't think I could ever get comfortable with him on longer rides, in heavy traffic, or at higher speeds. Just not something I want to chance.

joloy133

Anybody who doesn't protect their child on a motorcycle is a MORON. Repeat a MORON. I have been to motorcycle accidents where I had to literally pick up the pieces of drivers and passengers, as well as do life support and later prepare/preserve the bodies for the coroners office, too many times. It is a selfish, lazy, MORON that gambles and takes this risk with someone else's life, and a child no less! Have people been reading the accidents that just happened on this forum? (Add the child as a passenger in these accidents!) We assume the risk to ride for ourselves, but its a fact of life, some of us are MORONS. FWIW (Sorry for the name calling if it applies to you.)

JonKerr

Elite Member

DjOrchie

Bad idea IMO. I am willing to take my life in my own hands getting on a bike, no way would I let someone else no matter how old they are get on the back. You want to get on a bike and risk your life, you better have your own bike and be old enough to ride it. Till then the kids want kicks riding a bike, get a down hill mountain bike and hit the slopes. But hey, what other people do is up to them, this is just how I feel.