Riding Pants

What kind of pants do you wear when riding?

• Jeans

Votes: 86 44.6%
  • Jeans / pants with additional armor underneath

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • Leather / Textile pants

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Riding pants that cover your jeans / pants

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • I ride butt naked

Votes: 15 7.8%

• Total voters

JoshF

I'm curious what people are wearing for pants when they ride. I want to be as protected as I can when riding but I also want something that is comfortable. I have an Alpinestars NYC leather jacket which has good padding. I also wear a Shoei full face helmet. Pants is where i'm confused. I bought the Alpinestars Urban DNS pants. They basically look like black jeans but have some knee padding. I have noticed that the knee padding moves around a lot since they are a bit baggy and I wonder how much protection they would have in a crash. Since I am a noob I just don't know better and appreciate your input.

flyingminno

Well jeans, mainly because the price of good riding pants. But also that they can get uncomfortably hot to wear, down here in So Cal. I've contemplated Butt Naked, though that would be the time I ride through a swarm of wasps.

RockZooky

I mostly ware a pair of Shift jeans with Kevlar stitched in and regular jeans. At some point I would like to pick up a pair of textile pants with some padding.

bsoder

On my way to/from work I wear slacks unless I'm expecting rain. Then i wear some textile overpants with knee protection. On the weekends usually just jeans. I feel the most prepared when I have my overpants on but since they are a pain to put on while wearing shoes I don't wear them as much as I had planned. Whatever you get make sure it's something you will actually use.

Roaddawg

I think the pants you have are probably decent for riding in the city. Is the knee armor foam or hard plastic? I have Tourmaster Caliber pants that I wear over my jeans when the temp is around 75 or below. They have hard knee armor and hip padding and are waterproof with a zip out insulated liner. They also zip to my Tourmaster Intake jacket to make it a one piece suit almost. When its hotter, I just wear jeans, but I want to pick up some kevlar jeans or mesh/armor pants for next summer. I'd rather be a little warm and protected then not.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Ooter

I wear FirstGear overpants when I ride - HT Overpants 2.0

They're pretty comfortable, great extra warmth in cold weather riding over jeans, but also very nice over shorts in the summer. They definately look a little goofy when I walk from my parking space to my desk because they're so bulky, but I'd rather look goofy than have skin grafts!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I, too, only wear jeans while riding. :spank: Although, I have been pricing and comparing some overpants to ride in. I just need to decide on a pair and order them, especially since I will be riding throughout the "winter" to work. Jeans alone are not warm enough when the temps are in the upper 30's.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Thermal underwear work out great in this time of year, plus the extra cushioning cuts down on vibrations from all the pot holes that start to form as the ground freezes and thaws!
Yeah, that's true. But then I would have to remove my jeans to get the thermals off. Whereas, I could take the overpants off at my desk and not have to worry about exposing my nether-regions at work. :rof:

JonKerr

Elite Member

cbzdel

jeans when its not raining, if raining, I wear a set of waterproof overpants over my jeans. (been raining the past couple weeks, but the bike is my daily transportation)

Roaddawg

Yeah, that's true. But then I would have to remove my jeans to get the thermals off. Whereas, I could take the overpants off at my desk and not have to worry about exposing my nether-regions at work. :rof:
I hear George Castansa...."I WAS IN THE POOL!!" :D

F

FZ6Rgurl

If I'm just riding around town, I usually wear jeans. But if I'm going on a long trip or it's cold outside, I wear my riding pants that go over my jeans for insulation. They're Icon brand. Black. And I think they're textile.... Not leather but not the meshy type.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

Tabitha

I'm a jeans kinda of girl. I would love to find a good pair of riding jeans, with kevlar inserts, like the kind shift makes. I'm kinda jealous of you guys, you have sooooooooo much more choice in the pants that are out there for rinding than us ladies!

nlpyle

I am with Ooter, as I also have a pair of first gear pants that I wear over my jeans. Comfort level is great and water resistant even better but like previously posted they look a little bulky when you are walking around but I am more concerned with safety. Here in Washington State it rains most of the year and i ride year round. Never had any issues with these pants. I think it all depends on your climate and what weather you choose to ride in. I have a pair of Frank Thomas riding pants when I just want to wear the riding pants and that go with my jacket to make a one peice so it works out great. We never really plan on going down but it will most likely happen and I would like to be prepared. So on the weather you ride in I would say just find some pants that 1 fit great and are comfortable 2 work for what you need them to do, includeing armor. Safety first. Best of luck on your search and hope you are able to find what you are looking for. My place of shopping for gear is Cycle Gear. The staff is always friendly and their prices are pretty fair.

JoshF

I decided to leather up. I am a brand new rider and although I am getting as much training as I can I still know that statistics say I am at higher risk in the 1st 6 months. I like leather because the pads all fit securely where they are supposed to. It may not be the best looking option but it is the best protection. Plus, I found the Dainese store here in San Francisco and it's like Toys R Us for adults. I bought the Firefly pants, Arizona jacket and Joust gloves.