Riding Fast

CrazyCawi

My reply was to the other riders was"You ride your way,I'll ride mine" .I was asked,but said no thankyou.)
Kudos to you sir! Well played! Your always better off being safe. Id rather be safe and slow then fast and dead, thats for sure!

flyingminno

Grew up riding on the back of my dad's bike, splitting lanes in traffic and going 70+. So when I got my first bike, rode it home on the freeway with no issues.

Speedv1

Lol highway driving is easy!! Anyone can speed, it's the cornering where skill comes into play..

short_guy

I don't remember having a problem getting up to speed. My issues were being in heavy traffic and learning to lean with the bike without picturing myself low-siding off the freeway. I grew up riding dirt, but obviously never had to learn to deal with either. It took quite a few miles, but I made myself stick it out and I'm very happy I did.

One thing I didn't see mentioned in the other recommendations was parking lot practice. Any monkey can ride the bike in a straight line at 55, but it's a lot tougher to turn correctly and handle the bike at low speeds. I still spend a day or two early in the season getting used to low speed maneuvering. I also take the MSF's Experience Rider Course every year as a refresher - I'd highly recommend it.

Good luck, and ride safe!

F

FZ6R_Blue

I have the same problem only other way. I get to confident and go faster than i should. i found a nice open back road out here that was straight for like 3miles and i rolled it wide open got up to 105 then i saw another car and rolled off

e.blackadder

Lol highway driving is easy!! Anyone can speed, it's the cornering where skill comes into play..
In my cruiser days I kinda liked riding back roads around 45 mph. The V-twin rumble was the coolest at that speed (and I could still hear it well) and with higher speed the wind was quickly becoming tiresome. Because of the way you sit, there was no comfortable way to lean into the wind. Hardly ever did 65+ hwy riding until I switched to FZ6R.

CrazyCawi

I got mine up to 118 today for about 3 full miles....it was so scary IMO....

(on a lone back road that was a 5 mile straight away)

juguzman89

woah

50mph!!!!:eek: come on!

Just get on the hwy and the first person to come speeding behind you will leave you with two choices. get hit or get goin. I strongly recommend get goin

PWJ

Hit atleast 120 on a weekly basis. I can't get enough of these open country roads by me. Otherwise very reserved with other cars

jgangoo

riding fast on highway?

What skill you need to ride fast on a highway? Anyone can do it if the machine permits. The skill is in going fast as you can on corners.

Fogride

Fast riding

It takes a lot of skill to ride fast. Your decision time is much shorter.It takes more skill to use your brakes in a hurry at 70 than 30 and putting the bike exactly where you want at speed quickly and safely doesn't come over night. It took longer for me to learn how to ride tight with 10 or 12 bikes at 75 than learning to ride around in traffic. You do need to learn the slow stuff first and then go to the speed limit stuff. Any way, some corners are more fun at 30 than others at 65. It's fun in the parking lot and it keeps on getting better until you get to the race track. It doesn't get any more fun than that.

It took me about 2 days. In my opinion, the best way to gain confidence with higher gears and speed, is to stay within your riding abilities as well as your comfort zone. or do like 55 one week, the next week do 65, the next week 75, in your own variation.

Detrich

when i first started i was only riding about once or twice a week, and it took me a good 3 months before i had enough guts to get on the freeway... and, yah- initially the wind was really difficult to overcome. i felt like i was going to get blown over, and i was so afraid to turn my head... <lol>

so, i would just practice going 45+ on a long straight-away city streets with little to no cars. and, then eventually i forced myself to do short 1 exit freeway runs to gradually get used to it. after about a month, it started getting easier. the more comfortable i'd get, the longer i'd go. so from 1 exit to 2 exits, to 3 exits- until finally i had the guts to go for like 20 minutes...

the best way to practice is to go on sundays when traffic is light, and pick a freeway that's wide open, and with good visibility. it really helps a lot. the other thing too is to make sure that your gear fits snug. if u have a jacket or helmet that's too big, it's going to give you trouble on the freeway- esp at high speeds. your helmet should feel "glued to your head," and your jacket should -not- be flapping in the wind.

bottom line is keep at it, and in due time you'll look down and go, "huh, that was 85? damn i swear i was only was going 55..."

<lol>

Brock Kickass

FZ6R was the first road bike I had ever touched the handlebars on. I had dirtbikes and 4 wheelers and had also been a pasenger on road bikes, so I was used to being out in the open at speed. I'm sure I punched through 50mph at least a few times on dirtbikes. Anyway, when I picked up my FZ6R, I was scared I wouldn't know how to ride the damn thing! It was so different from a dirtbike. I had less then a mile between the dealership and the highway, so I had to suck up my guts and make it happen. I got out of the parking lot, and was instantly amazed by how heavy and stable the bike felt under me. Certinly lots different than a CR250 on loose, loamy dirt! I got to the stop sign, waited for a HUGE gap in traffic, pulled out and accelerated normally into 6th. It felt great! I guess this is my very long-winded way of saying I could still see the dealership when I hit 50 for the first time. Since then, the FZ6R has been such a fun bike to ride and learn hard-surface riding on. I put over 11 000km on my bike last summer, and I am dying to get back on and ride instead of trolling the forum for interesting conversations and daydreaming about bikes. I'm glad to read about you progressing and becoming a more confident rider. Stay safe and have fun!