Rider Size and rookie options

Grinch79

I'm curious some of the sizes of my fellow 6R's out there. Before I even started looking for a bike I had the perception that the larger the cc's the larger the bike actually would be. Prior to looking looking in March and buying one in April I have only ever sat on a Ducait 999 and a Hyabusa that some of my friends owned.

Now I'm 6'4" 215 so personally, I think I look like all sorts of odd sitting over anything that doesn't have me all stretched out. The 6R seems very comfortable for a very "green" rider and much of that was the reason I selected what I did. I soon learned that even the FZ1 or the R1 (both options I looked at) did not have much of an overall length difference.

Some things I just need to accept or become more familiar with riding. One would be foot position and finding the right shoe/boot which is shaped more like my foot cause my Nike Shocks are just not working to get under the clutch and I'm all over the top of the rear brake. Next is how much of my body is actually above the windshield and having that wind pound on my chest and head is something to get used to.

Would moving the handle bars forward help lean me a little more forward having less of my body upright? Any suggestions on footware?

Please tell me there is at least one or two other Jolly Green Giants out there???

obie

I'm 6' and the wind blows me around like a rag doll... That is my biggest complaint on this bike.... I started with a 1988 Honda Hurricane and never experienced the wind blowing me around like it does on this bike...

porky45

get a yamaha double bubble windscreen to replace the stock one. I can't put into words the difference it makes. 6 screws to take out, $60 for a new windshield and worlds of difference.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

Roaddawg

I'm 6'4" and 225 lbs....my buddies say I look like a gorilla humping a football! All in fun though. Parked next to my friends CBR's and GSX-R's, the FZ6R is the same size if not bigger. When parked next to my friends FJR, the FZ6R looks like its kid. I have the seat raised up and the bars in stock position, and it is pretty comfortable. I ride to work 1 hour each way and I go on rides for 2-3 hours

As for the wind blowing around, the double bubble does make a difference, blowing the air over my helmet and around my shoulders a little better. Definitely get the clear DB. It's an inch bigger than the tinted DB.

As for boots, just get some motorcycle specific boots since they have the protection where you need it. Although, I am guilty of wearing my waterproof "Hightex" style boots during the winter time.

All in all, this IS a good bike for green riders and big guys. I plan to ride this for a couple more years and then graduate to a FJR or something similar or possibly a cruiser if I'm not having to commute so far as I do now.

Rat

5'09'', 240 lbs.
Only 1 problem - should lean a little when looking into mirrors because I'm broad-shouldered man. :smoking:
That's why looking for rear-view camera. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Halon

I'm 6'2" and about 180 so I'm not much smaller than you. I need to get the yama-shield, but I feel like I'm ackwardly large for the bike. I like this bike but I really wish I had gone with a slightly larger displacement bike. Around town I'm fine, but I do alot of highway and a literbike is definitely in my future. I don't want you to completely rule out the 6r, because even with another bike I wouldn't give up my 6r, it's perfect as a commuter. I just think I'm too big to use it as a "fun" bike or a toy.

I should point out this is my first bike and I am completely satisfied that for what I was looking at I got the best bike of the three I looked at

Last edited:

Roaddawg

I'm 6'2" and about 180 so I'm not much smaller than you. I need to get the yama-shield, but I feel like I'm ackwardly large for the bike. I like this bike but I really wish I had gone with a slightly larger displacement bike. Around town I'm fine, but I do alot of highway and a literbike is definitely in my future. I don't want you to completely rule out the 6r, because even with another bike I wouldn't give up my 6r, it's perfect as a commuter. I just think I'm too big to use it as a "fun" bike or a toy.

I should point out this is my first bike and I am completely satisfied that for what I was looking at I got the best bike of the three I looked at
I think you might be mistaken about engine size versus bike dimensions. An R1 is actually a few inches smaller all around than the FZ6R. The FZ6R is even bigger than the FZ6. A liter bike doesn't mean a overall bigger bike...just engine displacment. If you want a bigger bike (dimension wise), look at the full on sport touring type, like the FJR or Concours. I hear ya though on feeling a little large for the bike, but unfortunantly, us bigger guys are going to look big on most bikes...unless you go Goldwing or Road King.

joloy133

If you like our bike but want something a little bigger and are fairly accomplished with miles under your belt (R...Dawg), you should look at a busa or kawi zx-14, supersports that have tons of aftermarket to get it perfect. Sporty, powerful, with touring capabilities, our bike with gym work and maybe steroids. The "Pashnit" bike is a tricked out Busa, go search the website if your unfamiliar. $0.02;)

Roaddawg

Grinch79, what about a Honda Interceptor/VFR? 800cc, sporty, more of an upright position....I was looking at a used one before I bought the R.

Halon

I looked at Honda interceptors on the showroom floor when I picked out my 6r, but I decided in the end I didn't want to look like a cop. :p that's what the highway patrol around here ride I think. I guess I just have it hard being tallish. I think I just want something that wound be wound up so tight on the highway with a higher top end. Not a cruiser but something with longer gears
and the grunt to get there. I want to try a b-king at some point, they're heavy and have an intimidating powerplant coming from the 6r I'm sure, but they are sexy and there are brand new ones on the showroom floor for what I paid for my 6r.

streetmaster

This is where those of us who are 'vertically challenged' have the upper hand with the FZ6R! Fits me perfectly.
I'm only 5'4" & feel right at home on the 6R, Whereas when I tried on a YZF-R6 I could only get my toes 'just' on the ground!!!
I had to stand on the footpeg just to swing my leg over!!!

Grinch79

Very good info everyone. I'm happy with my 6R just wasn't sure if there was anyone else out there feeling my pain - good to know there is. I'll definitely look into those boots and I need to pick up a jacket that I can rock also.

Here in Iowa there isn't much need to year round commuting, got a big SUV for that so this was just something that I went out to get for some fun and give the Lincoln a break with gas prices getting back up there.

Much appreciate the suggestions. I ordered a PUIG Racing windscreen in smoke so once I get that in I'll have to finally get some pics up.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Verranth

Very good info everyone. I'm happy with my 6R just wasn't sure if there was anyone else out there feeling my pain - good to know there is. I'll definitely look into those boots and I need to pick up a jacket that I can rock also.

Here in Iowa there isn't much need to year round commuting, got a big SUV for that so this was just something that I went out to get for some fun and give the Lincoln a break with gas prices getting back up there.

Much appreciate the suggestions. I ordered a PUIG Racing windscreen in smoke so once I get that in I'll have to finally get some pics up.
Sorry to hear about your body size to bike size issues. It was mentioned that you may want to look into the FJR. Since I own both, I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoy the FJR over the FZ6R on the following:
comfort, protection (wind)

Sheer fun factor and manuvering...the 6R wins

Overall feeling... I really like the FJR.

For someone your size, taking off the side bags and having that big screen infront would be a real winner.

I have 7K miles of riding total, i just started riding motorcycles last summer. The FJR, if you have good control, will be a very capable mount that will keep the sport side, and provide better creature comfort. (should it fit you, of course)

Of course, the FJR is twice as much as the 6R. lol

But that's not the point. When I feel like carving by myself, the 6R reminds me why I kept it.

When the gf wants a ride, the FJR is happy to take us for a comfortable and spirited run =) *(yes, the pegs have sparked =) ...and I was 2up...a little scary the first time, but fun as hell! )

Last edited: