Reptile keepers

JonKerr

Elite Member

roundhouse

yes we have a 10-11 year old leopard gecko, I did not know they got that old and he was pretty big when we got it. The people had it for a couple of years and had it on a sand substrate. it stopped eating and was loosing weight so they gave it and the tank to us. I forced a few drops of mineral oil in it's mouth and then soaked it for an hour. the next day there was a giant dirt clod on the newspaper and it started eating like a champ.

My wife and I used to wholesale reptiles during college for extra $$$. we had quite a collection too but sold them off as we lost interest in breeding (due to a mediocre success rate and $$$)

jfont

Definite one here. I sadly haven't had any in a long time since my most recent, an eastern garter snake. The next one I plan on getting is a flame garter snake. Snakes are my most favorite and the flame garter is beautiful. Just don't have time right now to care for one the way it should. Eventually though.

http://gartersnakemorph.com/images/20091008flamemohranery1.jpg

Riccochet

Love some retiles. Our second bearded dragon just passed away. She passed at just over 10 years old. Her sister passed at 9. We're not sure if we'll get another one just yet.

JonKerr

Elite Member

jfont

Ok just got home from the show. Didnt take a bunch of pics just because it was SO CRAZY busy. There were some incredible animals there. Kind of sensory overload. We did pick up 2 3 month old females. One het albino and one tangerine. Havent been able to get any better pics than this. Letting them get comfortable in thier new home.
View attachment 31564
View attachment 31565
View attachment 31566

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
They're all over Louisiana, actually brought some home one time. They lived for quite a while. How much were yours? Pretty animals

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

roundhouse

cool. i have not been to a herp show in so long. i bet the all the different color morphs of all the critters would amaze me

JonKerr

Elite Member

roundhouse

ours has turned back feral. it is viscous and will draw blood when it bites. we use long forceps to feed it canned crickets. fed it frozen pinkie mice we had after we sold our last desert king.

BKP

Been a long time herp nut...

Used to raise red-tail boas, however, gave that up once my son was born... now it's just smaller (up to six foot) constrictors... typically kings. I've got a pic or two of my current (a Brooksi King) in my album on here somewhere...

Of course, here in Georgia, you don't have to go much further than your backyard to "adopt." Found these two little (venomous) gems in my backyard this past summer...

roundhouse

we have a cool morph of the copper head hear. the broadbanded. they are pretty snakes too bad they are venomous.

i grew up in GA and remember all the critters we could find. mostly green anoles by the hundred

JonKerr

Elite Member

BKP

I thought about getting a snake. But i just wasnt sure. I dont mind them at all but so many in my family dont even like the geckos, id have a hard time getting them i. The house with a snake lol. Plus id be co cerned about any of them biting. Im not educated on them well yet at all.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
The trick (with most snakes) is handling them often... There are some which are more prone to a be a bit nippy, and others that are typically calm as can be. This is my current Brooksi King (also known as a South Florida King). He's a "hypomelanistic" which is a semi-rare mutation. That's what gives him that screaming yellow color. Had him about 11 years, and never was nipped once.

roundhouse

The trick (with most snakes) is handling them often... There are some which are more prone to a be a bit nippy, and others that are typically calm as can be. This is my current Brooksi King (also known as a South Florida King). He's a "hypomelanistic" which is a semi-rare mutation. That's what gives him that screaming yellow color. Had him about 11 years, and never was nipped once.

HOLY SMOKES! that thing is huge! we have holbrooki here and they don't get nearly that beefy. all this reptile chat has got me wanting another snake.

i guess i could catch a emorys ratsnake they are docile and make good pets. wild caught kings are nippy. and texas rats are downright mean.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

bleedinblue

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member