Removing Throttle grip from bars

dste0395

Ok, before anyone yells at me, I did search every possible keyword combination and cannot find a thread on this. I need to change out my handlebars, tried to do it once before and couldn't figure out how to get the throttle grip off of the bar. I am not talking about when the screws are still in but when they are completely removed. It seemed to me like the throttle side should have just slid right off the bar, but it doesn't appear that is the case. Help or instructions or a video link would be greatly appreciated. I bought bars from Vintage Motorcycle Parts | Motorcycle Parts, Bike Accessories & Motorcycle Apparel For Honda, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Suzuki & Yamaha- Old Bike Barn but I think i have to wait for warm weather again. Sucks. Anyway, the other question is still around grips, can I just use the grips that slide onto the end of the bar, and not all the way up the bar with bar ends? I heard the nay sayers out there talking about bar ends helping in a fall over, but I would rather just have a slip on grip. Thoughts, help, anything???:facepalm:

Roaddawg

If your going to be putting on new grips, just cut the ones off. Use a razor blade and score it down the length, then peel off. If your trying to save them, try using a blow dryer and warm them up.

As far as bar ends go, they are for vibration dampening not protection from dumping it, although it can provide some protection. If you don't put bar ends back in, you're likely to get more vibrations, leading to numb hands.

bmw675

Just to clarify, you did take the throttle cable and return cable off the throttle tube correct? I think I should just IDE off when those are removed. (Never did it on my 6r, I'm assuming its the same as all other mc's I've messed with.)

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

cezell09

Once you take the screws out the throttle comes apart in two halves. There is a little plastic nipple that is holding the throttle from spinning. That's why it isn't sliding off.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member