Removing stock Mirrors?

cbzdel

MUST GET WID OF THE WABBIT EARS...

I just ordered a set of these on ebay for $40 bones - they are the universal fairing mount type (adjustable at the base). I like the angular shape (matches the bike) and will post photos once installed.

Be sure to post pics of those, it looks like they really match the front end..

joloy133

Hey soul.......One of the best mods I've seen IMO. Am considering doing same. Is the visibility better or worse than stock? At full lateral extension is it further out or same? Thanks again for the info..............133

TDiggs666

i would really like to get a set of these mirrors but im worried about the visability? is it ok can you see or is it much worse? sometimes safty is better than style... thanks Tom

R

Ryan T

Don't know about everyone else but there is a huge blind spot behind me. I know I can't eliminate it totally but it woulbe nice if I could find mirrors to reduce it and make it so I don't see parts of my shoulders and arms.

Any ideas? Nothing too expensive that is.

MNDZA

My mirrors (same ones in this thread) should be waiting at home for me today. I will install and check to see how good the visibility is. If it's not as good as stock or at least very close, I guess they'll have to go. Safety>style.

phocoyote7

My mirrors (same ones in this thread) should be waiting at home for me today. I will install and check to see how good the visibility is. If it's not as good as stock or at least very close, I guess they'll have to go. Safety>style.

You are talking about the roaring toyz mirrors first posted right? If so would be nice to hear another opinion on those. Also could you let me know how the pivot points are, are they solid meaning don't move easy or will a strong wind gust re-ajust them?

MNDZA

Ok....install was easy and perfect fit. It's dark out now so I didn't take it out for long, but it needs severe adjustments because, as of now, these mirrors are horrible. I'll spend some time on it tomorrow and hope they work out because they look great. The pivot points are very strong. No wind will move them....I hope! Gotta do road tests.

soul_eye

Ok....install was easy and perfect fit. It's dark out now so I didn't take it out for long, but it needs severe adjustments because, as of now, these mirrors are horrible. I'll spend some time on it tomorrow and hope they work out because they look great. The pivot points are very strong. No wind will move them....I hope! Gotta do road tests.

Congrats on the new mirrors! And yeah it definitely takes some tinkering with the pivots to find the "sweet spot". After seeing the mirrors PVD_FZ6R posted though on page 1 I couldn't help but order a pair of those too off EBAY just to see how they look.

Roaddawg

MUST GET WID OF THE WABBIT EARS...

I just ordered a set of these on ebay for $40 bones - they are the universal fairing mount type (adjustable at the base). I like the angular shape (matches the bike) and will post photos once installed.

You get these installed yet?

phocoyote7

MNDZA

The visibility is pretty good, you can position them pretty much anyway you can imagine. The mirrors can actually extend almost twice the length of what I pictured by just rotating them out 180 degrees.

I was originally thinking of going with some Rizomas but in the end I couldn't justify spending $400 for mirrors. So $130 for this pair seemed like a deal.

@ K2jer, I have the OEM yamaha double bubble. And by the looks of the mounts of those carbon style mirrors I don't think you would have any trouble fitting them on the bike because they look identical to the mounts that came with mine.

I want to say thanks for the install write-up, but I will definitely not trust your reviews of products anymore. These mirrors are a complete waste of money if you actually want to use them as mirrors. They have ZERO rear visibility. Yes, they are very adjustable, but I tried every position and they don't work for this bike at all. The main problem is that the pivot point on the mirror is very restrictive and the mirrors themselves are tiny....less than half the size of the stock mirrors. The only thing these are halfway decent for are your blind spots because that's what they point at.

To everyone else, DO NOT BUY THESE CRAPPY MIRRORS. It sucks that I had to spend 130 bucks to figure it out, but I trusted a fellow member's judgement and it obviously was a mistake. Now I have to reinstall the stockers....PITA. Anyone want to buy a mini bathroom mirror?

soul_eye

I want to say thanks for the install write-up, but I will definitely not trust your reviews of products anymore. These mirrors are a complete waste of money if you actually want to use them as mirrors. They have ZERO rear visibility. Yes, they are very adjustable, but I tried every position and they don't work for this bike at all. The main problem is that the pivot point on the mirror is very restrictive and the mirrors themselves are tiny....less than half the size of the stock mirrors. The only thing these are halfway decent for are your blind spots because that's what they point at.

To everyone else, DO NOT BUY THESE CRAPPY MIRRORS. It sucks that I had to spend 130 bucks to figure it out, but I trusted a fellow member's judgement and it obviously was a mistake. Now I have to reinstall the stockers....PITA. Anyone want to buy a mini bathroom mirror?

I feel the need to explain to you the definition of what a "universal" product is, it is a product that is intended to function as a working component of MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF BIKES. This means that these mirrors were not designed specifically for this particular bike. Of course it is not going to be a flawlessly angeled accessory, if it were it would be OEM now wouldn't it be? Or rather atleast bike specific.

In any event, I do apologize that you were not satisfied with the mirrors overall, but nobody put a gun to your head and told you to buy. I was merely sharing my experience with a particular product that was available for our bike when alternative options are so limited. I was very pleased with these mirrors, despite their flaws, but I also accept some sacrifice for functionality for style. If you were looking for mirrors that made head-checking obsolete then these weren't for you, and that's perfectly fine. What were you seeing in your stockies anyway, your shoulders? Not much better IMO but to each their own.

And as I recall I did state that the visibility was "pretty good", not freaking AMAZING. If your goal is to be able to look at the back of your head while riding then I suggest you look into some kind of rear harnessed video camera which feeds a live image into a
LCD screen that can be replaced for the glass in your mirrors ( yes I have seen it done ), or perhaps look into getting a third eye surgically attached.

I admit that $130 is a lot of money to spend on something that does not satisfy you, that is in fact why businesses have refund policies, to provide customer satisfaction. And that is the only recommendation I can give you.

phocoyote7

Sorry to hear you didn't like the mirror's.

If I could try and play peace maker here. ;)

I don't think Soul was really posting for everyone to go get. He was just showing us his find and I appriciate that. I think we do need to use our own judgement and don't be shy to ask questions. I'm not taking any side's, but we all own the same bike and I like to see what everyone is doing to their bikes. I feel like we got our own little family here.

You should call the place you purchased them from, they should have some kind of satisfaction or return policy. If they don't then post it here so knowone buys from them.

Please everyone keep posting your finds :thumbup:

MNDZA

I feel the need to explain to you the definition of what a "universal" product is, it is a product that is intended to function as a working component of MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF BIKES. This means that these mirrors were not designed specifically for this particular bike. Of course it is not going to be a flawlessly angeled accessory, if it were it would be OEM now wouldn't it be? Or rather atleast bike specific.

In any event, I do apologize that you were not satisfied with the mirrors overall, but nobody put a gun to your head and told you to buy. I was merely sharing my experience with a particular product that was available for our bike when alternative options are so limited. I was very pleased with these mirrors, despite their flaws, but I also accept some sacrifice for functionality for style. If you were looking for mirrors that made head-checking obsolete then these weren't for you, and that's perfectly fine. What were you seeing in your stockies anyway, your shoulders? Not much better IMO but to each their own.

And as I recall I did state that the visibility was "pretty good", not freaking AMAZING. If your goal is to be able to look at the back of your head while riding then I suggest you look into some kind of rear harnessed video camera which feeds a live image into a
LCD screen that can be replaced for the glass in your mirrors ( yes I have seen it done ), or perhaps look into getting a third eye surgically attached.

I admit that $130 is a lot of money to spend on something that does not satisfy you, that is in fact why businesses have refund policies, to provide customer satisfaction. And that is the only recommendation I can give you.

That's the problem with your statement of how the mirrors performed. You said "pretty good". They are downright HORRIBLE. The STOCK mirrors are "pretty good", but these are really bad. Anyway, lesson learned.

cbzdel

I think what would work out GREAT for a perspective is install 1 aftermarket mirror, and leave the other stock, get set up so you can see something good in your mirrors, then take a pic from where your head would be looking at the mirrors, it would give a general idea of what you would see, oh and also be sitting on the bike so we could see if your elbows take up 90% of the mirros lol...

jusayin for future :thumbup:

P

PAJeep

or give it some time and wait for multiple opinions before going out and buying every single first item that comes out for the fz6r posted on this site.

soul_eye

Well anyway, I just got the Trojan Universal mirrors in the mail this morning, they look ok just your basic plastic. I'll try to post some detailed pictures later.