Removing stock Mirrors?

soul_eye

I finally got around to ordering a pair of universal mirrors from Roaring Toyz which look great, and they attach to stock mounts too. But I'm not sure how to actually go about removing the stock mirrors.

If you lift up the rubber casing around the base of the stock mirrors you'll see that there are no visible screws facing upside, does this mean that the entire front assembly of the bike has to be removed in order to remove the stock mirrors?

Thanks for any advice!

F

fz6nick

I finally got around to ordering a pair of universal mirrors from Roaring Toyz which look great, and they attach to stock mounts too. But I'm not sure how to actually go about removing the stock mirrors.

If you lift up the rubber casing around the base of the stock mirrors you'll see that there are no visible screws facing upside, does this mean that the entire front assembly of the bike has to be removed in order to remove the stock mirrors?

Thanks for any advice!

The black plastic that goes around your gages under your bars will come off with 4 silver allen head screws. You will also need to take off the 2 silver allen head screws on each side of your headlight fairing. these are located more toward the tank. when all 8 are out, you will see 2 10mm nuts. take those off, put the new ones on and plastic on, your done!

phocoyote7

how about a link or picture of the mirrors?

soul_eye

The black plastic that goes around your gages under your bars will come off with 4 silver allen head screws. You will also need to take off the 2 silver allen head screws on each side of your headlight fairing. these are located more toward the tank. when all 8 are out, you will see 2 10mm nuts. take those off, put the new ones on and plastic on, your done!

Thanks man, mirrors will be arriving tomorrow via UPS so I'll give it a shot then, will post up pictures as soon as I get them on! Can't wait to get rid of the stock rabbit ears. :)

J

jmerch44

Yep!:thumbup:

Roaddawg

I like the adjustability of those mirrors. You must post pics when you get them on. Have you looked at popping those plastic button thingys (i don't know the term for them) on the inside of the upper fairing to see if you can get access to the mirrors without taking the whole fairing off? I don't know if the FZ6 fairing has the same mounting points as our FZ6R, as FZ6Nick described. Let us know how you do it. :thumbup:

phocoyote7

Can't wait to see those pic's, might have to think about those myself.

MNDZA

Looks cool. Can't wait to see them on the bike.

soul_eye

After a little elbow grease and some patience I finally got rid of the fugly stockies and replaced them with the Roaring Toyz billet mirrors in black which IMO is the best appearance enhancing mod available so far!

It was fairly easy to do the swap, just had to go through a few steps...

To gain access to the stock mounts, you first have to remove the 4 small black plugs surrounding the dash. If you take a small screwdriver you can simply push in at the center and they will be able to be lifted out easily.
1-1.jpg

From here you can remove the two allen head screws located on the sides of the bike near the gas tank, after removing those there will be another set of two allen head screws to remove.
2.jpg

After removing those pieces of plastic from the display area you will have access to the mirror mounts. It was a little tricky to actually get the stock mirrors to unscrew at first because of the awkward position your in, but if you get creative it shouldn't be a huge problem... after removing this is what the mounting holes look like incase your looking for other mirrors to fit...
3.jpg

And here are a few of the after shots... I was so happy to finally get rid of the rabbit ears, they'd just been bugging me since day one. I love the new ones, I feel like they give the bike a real super sport look and they're extremely adjustable as well.
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

phocoyote7

Does look better!

They look like they sit very low, how is it for seeing directly behind you? And was there any fighting to get to fit in stock mounting holes?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
:thumbup: They look real nice! I'll be interested to hear how well you can see behind and to the sides compared to the stock mirrors.

soul_eye

The visibility is pretty good, you can position them pretty much anyway you can imagine. The mirrors can actually extend almost twice the length of what I pictured by just rotating them out 180 degrees.

I was originally thinking of going with some Rizomas but in the end I couldn't justify spending $400 for mirrors. So $130 for this pair seemed like a deal.

@ K2jer, I have the OEM yamaha double bubble. And by the looks of the mounts of those carbon style mirrors I don't think you would have any trouble fitting them on the bike because they look identical to the mounts that came with mine.

Roaddawg

Looks good. Like seeing different mods. I, myself, hate being stock. All my vehicles are modified someway. After you ride around for a bit, I'd like to hear how they're working for you, visibility and wind noise. How do you like the windshield? I'm waiting for some aftermarket ones to start showing up.

MNDZA

I've been looking for anything decent to replace the stockers and now I'll finally have something. THANK YOU!

cbzdel

So do any Yamaha mirrors fit??? (R6 and R1 mirrors??)

PVD_FZ6R

MUST GET WID OF THE WABBIT EARS...

I just ordered a set of these on ebay for $40 bones - they are the universal fairing mount type (adjustable at the base). I like the angular shape (matches the bike) and will post photos once installed.