Removing broken bolt in chassis

Ricenoodle

I'm going to attempt to remove this broken bolt that broke off inside the chassis during the install of my hid ground wire. I bought the screw extractor kit from Home Depot and it require you to drill a bit into the bolt, hammer the extractor bit in, and screw counter clockwise to remove the bolt. Has any of you ever attempt this? any tips? how deep do i have to drill into the bolt, any help would appreciated. i have a dremel and a good metal bit so hopefully it'll bite. Thanks

Last edited:

ej'sfz

with it broken off like that it might be loose enough to just back out of there. i would drill a small hole in the center first with a left handed drill bit, if its loose enough it might just back out when drilling. just be careful not to break the extractor in their. those are fun to drill out.

mdgreene2001

i told you drill and remove with screw extractor and if it won't come out, tap it

JSP

Super Moderator
Good job. .

FastFreddy

I've had success with those screw extractors before.

I was going to say use a hole punch in the dead center to start with so the drill doesn't wander off-center.

Ricenoodle

yeah i had to take all the fairings off so the dremel can be dead center, it was off centered with the fairings on. Probably how i broke the bolt in the first place, didn't wanted to spend an extra 5 min to take the fairings off. Lesson learned and use a screw extractor for the first time, pretty sweet tool.