Reinventing dumb luck...

MustGoFaster

So... I'll preface this by stating that I wear gear (helmet, gloves, boots, some sort of jacket) basically 99.9% of the time. Now onto the story...

Saturday I punched out of work and had to run to the ATM to grab some money for a co-worker, which is literally a block away. I figured, eff it. I'll just leave everything at work, run through the drive-thru, grab it, then head back and gear up.

So I left my helmet and jacket at the store and took off. To this day I don't know why I've ridden now 4 times without a helmet. I *hate* it. (Guess I just don't learn well...) It's way noisier, and I feel very vulnerable. So I go through the parking lot and across the street to the bank. I head through the drive-thru, put the bike on the kick stand and grab the money. I hop back on and ease out of first.

Except it didn't ease. My rear tire started spinning then the bike started to fishtail to the right. Thankfully I was able to clutch her back in and get a foot down. Looking back there's damn near a gallon of coolant and lord-knows-what all over the pavement that I didn't see. With the adrenaline running, I ease her back to the store to get the rest of the crap of the tire.

The moral of the story's pretty self-explanatory. *Never* ride without gear, no matter how close your destination or how lazy (in my case) you're feeling. Thank God my reflexes were tight that day... :shakehead::squid:

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Spunky99

I motored up the driveway (very steep) to the sidewalk where I could clean the chain with simple green. No helmet and wearing beach sandals and shorts and a tee shirt. That's the extent of my gearless riding....;)

Was 20 feet...I coasted back down with the motor off...

CrazyCawi

simple green?

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Spunky99

I'm using Chain Wax because I have an X-Ring chain (530) and Simple Green to clean it. You have to use the chain brush too and then rinse with water.
Afterwards dry the chain real good and the rest of the bike and then reapply Chain Wax.
It all washes off and is non-toxic except the dirt maybe and doesn't foul your bike. I used to use Coleman's white fuel or denatured alcohol and that is hard on the paint and the environment.