Rear wheel doesn't spin freely

vlad2277

Hi All,
I'm a new here, but already spent hours researching this forum and found tons of helpful stuff. Thanks for all your answers!
I purchased my FZ6R 2011 about a month ago and I did my chain clean & lube first time last weekend.
I noticed that the rear wheel doesn't spin freely. It turns for a half-revolution or so and stops. It needs another push to pass the stopping point, then it turns for another half-revolution and stops again.
Any idea why it doesn't spin freely? Breaks?
Is it safe to ride?
I appreciate all your comments and suggestions.
Thanks.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

vlad2277

Something on the rotor, warped rotor, or pads aren't releasing all the way.

I'd start by taking the pads off and lubing up the pin and the other side where the pads rest, maybe spin the wheel by hand and see if there is something at the point it stops near the pads.

I just had to lube up my pin and rest as well, rusted so they weren't opening all the way up after braking.

Could also be something on the chain catching anywhere along the drive path.
Thanks! I will take a look at rotor & pads.

Fizzer6R

when you did this spin test were the chain/sprockets cold or warm? if cold, you could try riding a few miles and then coming back to see if it's better

keep in mind a brake disc will drag a little, but yeah you don't want it too much

vlad2277

when you did this spin test were the chain/sprockets cold or warm? if cold, you could try riding a few miles and then coming back to see if it's better

keep in mind a brake disc will drag a little, but yeah you don't want it too much
Chain was cold. I'll try to ride it for a couple of miles next time. Thanks.

AL72

I think it's normal, same thing I thought when mount my bike on the rear stand. I come from a 250cc and the rear wheel spin more freely (130/70-17), but the tire, Wheel, chain and sprocket of our FZ6R are bigger and heavier.

Regards!

Last edited:

adamo3957

Wheel not spinning? Hold front brake, clutch in, rev hard, drop clutch... Wheel will now be spinning.

Note, not to be confused with legitimate help.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

vlad2277

Can you hear where its dragging or catching??

If the rear brakes are dragging on the rear brake rotor you may be able to hear a slight scraping sound??

I might remove the rear caliber from its mount and hang it off to the side with a bungee cord (don't let it hang on the brake hose), then spin the tire & see if the dragging goes away. This will confirm or deny your rear brake is the issue.

Just my two cents...
I don't hear anything. But I still think it has something to do with breaks (rotor or pads). Bent rotor may be?
Got back home too late last night. I will take a look at it on Friday. I hope there is an easy fix. Thanks for your suggestions!

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member
Last edited:

vlad2277

What direction are you spinning it? The chain has some slack in it and spinning it in its normal direction of travel I no causes the slack to be pulled from below and brought up top only to sag between the sprockets. Sometimes it'll kink at the front sprocket.
I'm spinning it in normal travel direction: counterclockwise.

SurfJunkie

What type of rear stand are you using?
If using a swing arm stand, sometimes the blocks that push up on the swing arm might be adjust too far in and could be rubbing on the sprocket bolts or something else. Do you hear an audible click or noise aside from normal pad on rotor as it rotates and stops ?

Bert-Aus

Don't stress, that was how my rear wheel spun when on a rear stand.
Had mine for 3.5 years from new and it was always like that when cleaning/ lubing the chain,
if I wanted to get it to spin more than half a revolution I was pushing it pretty hard