Rear tire lock up

WarEagle07

Has anyone else noticed how easy it is to lock up our rear tire?

MikeN02

Has anyone else noticed how easy it is to lock up our rear tire?
I pump my breaks... still paranoid from my accident in the rain last january when I locked up my rear and low sided on my Ninja.

So I haven't really felt it yet.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

husker525

I found this thread rather interesting. I have yet to lock the rear tire, even under extremely hard braking, although, I am sure that I could. Of the members that posted, do you use primarily the rear brake for stopping? Can you give a percentage of front/back braking under hard stops?

I use probably 85% front brake, and just enough back brake to set the suspension in a more horizontal attitude. The back brake will also help keep your bike straight up and down in a panic like stop, as long as you are hard on the front brake. Now, this is just my opinion only, I do not want to contradict any MSF or safety course instructions or techniques. I have used this technique from my racing days, and just translated it on to the street.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
To be honest, I have actually never locked the rear tire. I have even had to nearly endo my bike to avoid an idiot cager turning in front of me.

I have found that if you are going to use the rear brake, use it all the time so you get a feel for how it grabs and where the break point is. With that said, the key is to apply progressive pressure to the rear brake, and not sudden pressure. I use the rear brake all the time, sometimes, it's the only break I use. :D

WarEagle07

I have locked up twice. once while going down hill and once on some new asphalt. Both times I was able to release the braking the reengage

JonKerr

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
+1 to what he said! :thumbup:

Superfly

I found this thread rather interesting. I have yet to lock the rear tire, even under extremely hard braking, although, I am sure that I could. Of the members that posted, do you use primarily the rear brake for stopping? Can you give a percentage of front/back braking under hard stops?

I use probably 85% front brake, and just enough back brake to set the suspension in a more horizontal attitude. The back brake will also help keep your bike straight up and down in a panic like stop, as long as you are hard on the front brake. Now, this is just my opinion only, I do not want to contradict any MSF or safety course instructions or techniques. I have used this technique from my racing days, and just translated it on to the street.
+1

I've never locked the rear brake and I use it prob 95% of the time. The rear in a panic stop is not very effective so I just use it when slowing around town at light braking stops and most times in conjunction with the fronts. By using both brakes all the time youre more likely to use both in a panic.

I read long ago the correct method of stopping using max braking would be to hit the rear a fraction of a sec before piling on the front. This should lower the bike's CofG as the rear squats and then as you shift weight forward with the front brake the rear may lockup or come off the ground and stall the engine(if the clutch is not pulled aswell). But in any case the front does most of the work...This is panic stop stuff.

I also read that in a great number of accidents the rider never comes close to using all the brake force that is available to him/her. The G's a sport bike can generate under braking is similar to holding your body weight on your arms only...most people cant do that unless youre in pretty good shape...which is another reason to hit the gym. I think somewhere to teach people what it was like they were flipping the bike up on a 45 degree jig to show the riders what max braking would feel like...

Motorcycle Braking: 15 Questions and Answers - webBikeWorld

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Something else worth mentioning that many people may not consider, is that under hard braking conditions, the body naturally wants to continue moving forward (inertia baby!). This shifts more weight forward and off the rear tire, permitting it to lock up easier. The way to combat this is not to lock your arms, but rather squeeze the hell out of the tank with your thighs. This keeps your body back and behind the tank, and keeps your arms "relaxed" for maintaining control of the handlebars and controls.

WarEagle07

The worst thing you can do if you lock the rear is release it. You're asking to highside if you do that. Picture this, you lock the rear and it moves just a few inches to the right, you release that rear brake and the tire snaps inline with the front. What's going to happen to you? Ejection! Locking the rear is no big deal as long as you leave it locked. I've done it a couple of times in emergencies. It's no easier on our bike than any other sport bike. In fact I'd say it's probably harder since our weight isn't as far forward on the bike. I lifted the rear tire off the ground once in an emergency stop. Again, not a big deal. It's all about how you deal with it. If you lock the front brake, yes, let off immediately to keep from lowsiding and loosing the front end. But don't do that with the rear. You feel or hear it lock just keep holding it.

Also, pulsing your brakes is a big problem too. It'll upset the suspension and cause all kinds of weight transfer that you don't want. Apply the brakes once, smoothly, and with whatever force is needed to make the stop.
Oh let me clarify I release both brakes for a fraction of a second to kinda set the tire again then reapply brakes.

Roaddawg

I'm like you. I use mostly all the front brake (85-90%) and just a little of the rear to stablize the suspension. I've always been told to use the front brake as the primary brake and the rear to settle the bike down. I found it odd that many of you use the rear brake as the primary brake. I actually have to remind myself sometimes to apply some rear braking. (I can't remember which motorcycle racer it is that said he never uses the rear brake.) I think you stop a lot faster using the front brake primarily, with the weight transfer and all. I have also never locked the rear brake, even under very hard braking.

Chip

Yeah I did once, scariest experience thus far!

I had just gotten my bike and was driving back home around 10pm in NJ, so it was high 40s weather. I was just getting used to the bike and pressed a bit hard going ~35 and locked the rear tire, and let it go, then I went into a rear wobble! I quickly regained control but that was scary!

To everyone that thinks the rear brake is an emergency brake it is NOT. Well, it is not in the sense of an actual emergency. I use the front brake when I'm stopping from under 10 mph, but if I am coming to a light at 20+, Ill use both the front and rear brake.

RandiZ

Just saw this in an MSF safety video. Lightly pump on the rear, firmly squeeze the front. (Please don't ask me for pix of this. ;) )

The dealer also told me that I should use the front brake on this bike way more than I would have on my cruisers.

husker525

Without going into detail, I have an extensive background in motorcycle dynamics and principles, as well as reconstructing motorcycle accidents. A good rider can generate a braking coefficient of 1.5-1.7 using proper front brake/back brake applications. The most you can get out of a car is 1. A rear wheel car has a 60/40 (60% front brakes/40% rear brakes) braking percentage, a front wheel drive car has a (70/30) proportion, and a bike is variable. Proper suspension set up is paramount, rider position during braking, proper application and pressure to the brakes, etc. I am sure I lost some people, that was not my intent.

arkkornkid

I've been thinking something is wrong with mine, and sounds like I may be right. My rear brake is just numb. I have to press it way the hell down to get it to do any kind of stopping, so no chance of me locking it up.

Guess I'll be doing some adjusting tomorrow.

Kleinfalls

I rarely use mine - but the other day I did to get stopped at a red light - and i locked it up - i was thinking - did i really push on it that hard??? but after reading these posts - obviously i didn't just really sensitive - i was also on ones of those fake concrete brick areas - wasn't sure if that had something to do with it

Negated

I lock my rear brakes all the time. sometimes for fun, sometimes because i keep forgetting how useless the back break really is for stopping power. on a hard turn i normally only use the back break in fear of my front tire slipping- no good. as far as im concerned that back tire can slip all it wants. when you loose traction from the front tire your face meets the ground. when the back tire looses traction theres room to correct the bike IMO.

Halon

To be honest, I have actually never locked the rear tire. I have even had to nearly endo my bike to avoid an idiot cager turning in front of me.

I have found that if you are going to use the rear brake, use it all the time so you get a feel for how it grabs and where the break point is. With that said, the key is to apply progressive pressure to the rear brake, and not sudden pressure. I use the rear brake all the time, sometimes, it's the only break I use. :D
I'm with this guy, I have locked up the rear but it isn't really scary or anything... But if I apply steady pressure I can use the rear brake for all but the most demanding stops. I can kind of feel the rear start to bind up where the rear is on the edge of wanting to lock though, and if you just compensate with a little more front you should be fine. I also pump my breaks when you get that binding sensation, instead of riding it out. But even without abs I think the brakes are really good. But I haven't ridden any other bikes to compare them to.