Rear spools

rockfolks

T-Rex spool adapters

After having my 2011 FZ6R slide off the T-Rex rear stand twice (no damage luckily), we decided to purchase T-Rex spool adapters. Since the design of the adapters appears to have changed, I thought I would share my installation experiences.

The first 2 pictures show the installed adapters. The design change included reversing the top bolt from being installed from the tire side to the outside of the adapter. The instructions that came with the adapter still referred to the top bolt being installed from the tire side but the adapter has the counter-sinking for the top bolt on the outside. The instruction sheet needs updating.

The installation trouble began as soon as I placed the front plate with nylon bushing over the swingarm and tried to place the backing plate over the bushing. The bushing was about 1/8" too high to fit into the backing plate. After emails (with pictures) to T-Rex, they suggested "sanding or filing" the nylon to fit or sending me another set of adapters.

Since they didn't say I had an obviously defective part, we assumed another set of adapters would be the same. So began the trial and error process of filing and fitting the nylon. As shown in the pictures, about half the thickness of nylon on the top and bottom ends had to be removed just to get the nylon to fit into the backing plate. Then a C-clamp was used to press the 2 brackets together enough for the bolts to catch the threads. The bolts then were tightened in sequence about 1/2 turn at a time until they reached 17 ft/lbs. The instructions suggested "about 20 ft/lbs" but the bolts were squeeking and felt very tight at 17. Be aware the bolts are steel and the plates are aluminum and the threads can be stripped easily.

The adapters are installed and tight, but required more time (1 hr+ to file and fit the 2 nylon bushings alone) and more effort than we ever expected for a product designed specifically for the FZ6R. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• IMG_3114.jpg
    IMG_3114.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3115.jpg
    IMG_3115.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3108.jpg
    IMG_3108.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3111.jpg
    IMG_3111.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 53

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BKP

Weird.

They look exactly like the ones I got almost a year ago, and took about 15 minutes to install.

7327628158_fa5d525bba_z.jpg

GranTourer

Hope T-Rex is aware and fixes this so no filing is necessary. Was going to pick up a set, but will hold off to see if they fix it from the get go.

RyEnd

Dammit. These things are finally purchasable again (after a solid 8 months) and they've been poorly redesigned. About to give up and drill and tap a set >.<

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

WeatherB

After having my 2011 FZ6R slide off the T-Rex rear stand twice (no damage luckily), we decided to purchase T-Rex spool adapters. Since the design of the adapters appears to have changed, I thought I would share my installation experiences.

The first 2 pictures show the installed adapters. The design change included reversing the top bolt from being installed from the tire side to the outside of the adapter. The instructions that came with the adapter still referred to the top bolt being installed from the tire side but the adapter has the counter-sinking for the top bolt on the outside. The instruction sheet needs updating.

The installation trouble began as soon as I placed the front plate with nylon bushing over the swingarm and tried to place the backing plate over the bushing. The bushing was about 1/8" too high to fit into the backing plate. After emails (with pictures) to T-Rex, they suggested "sanding or filing" the nylon to fit or sending me another set of adapters.

Since they didn't say I had an obviously defective part, we assumed another set of adapters would be the same. So began the trial and error process of filing and fitting the nylon. As shown in the pictures, about half the thickness of nylon on the top and bottom ends had to be removed just to get the nylon to fit into the backing plate. Then a C-clamp was used to press the 2 brackets together enough for the bolts to catch the threads. The bolts then were tightened in sequence about 1/2 turn at a time until they reached 17 ft/lbs. The instructions suggested "about 20 ft/lbs" but the bolts were squeeking and felt very tight at 17. Be aware the bolts are steel and the plates are aluminum and the threads can be stripped easily.

The adapters are installed and tight, but required more time (1 hr+ to file and fit the 2 nylon bushings alone) and more effort than we ever expected for a product designed specifically for the FZ6R. Hope this helps someone.

My experience was the same and I ended up cross threading a screw as a result. Spoke with T-Rex and they shipped me replacements. I noticed that the replacements were redesigned. Haven't had a chance to install the new design yet but looks like they may have addressed this issue.

rockfolks

I did eventually get an email from T-Rex admitting the brackets were faulty. But that was long after I had gone to the time and effort to fix their error. I hope they have fixed their production problem.

Sorry to hear about stripping the threads, I know I came real close to doing the same. I don't plan on ever taking these ones off because I might not get them back on correctly.

WeatherB

I did eventually get an email from T-Rex admitting the brackets were faulty. But that was long after I had gone to the time and effort to fix their error. I hope they have fixed their production problem.

Sorry to hear about stripping the threads, I know I came real close to doing the same. I don't plan on ever taking these ones off because I might not get them back on correctly.

I finally got around to installing the replacement brackets with the latest design and had the same experience as you. Found that they wouldn't fit even using a C-Clamp! I followed your lead and went nuts with the Dremel on the plastic spacer, worked perfect after that and it was still a tight fit once the screws were tightened. I only tightened the screws to 15 ft/lbs since I could hear the aluminum squealing!

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Now having a center stand on the Bandit... I LOVE IT. I would highly recommend a center stand. No more stands to mess with. Super easy maintenance. Can be used to remove the rear shock and have the weight off the swing arm, which a rear stand cannot do. No stand to get in the way of tire removal. You can weigh the rear down and now your front is off the ground for front end maintenance/tire changes/fork work.

:cool:

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member