Rear Ended

MikeN02

Taken from another forum but I thought I should share this with you guys as I had a similar incident the other day. Was traffic on the freeway and I braked and slowed down and stopped like usual. Until I heard a screeching noise and wondered what it was and looked in my mirror (while holding in the clutch in first at a stop) and saw a truck slamming on his brakes and screeching his tires. Stupid idiot didn't know that Bikes stop I guess... moral is that I almost got rear ended and as soon as I saw him screeching his tires in my mirrors I bucked it in the emergency lane.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JpoS5OUGdI&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- motorbike accident caught on police camera[/ame]

Story of this video is
"The rider was not crossing any lanes he was slowing down (and indicating) to pull into the lay by, that is why it appears he moves across,which he does but only within his own lane.
The rider, in his late 30s,had been riding bikes since he was 19 and had never had an accident of any kind.
In an interview,he said he was wearing all the right gear ( fully armoured) and that was what saved his life, but because of this accident he has now given up riding.
The car driver admitted she was not concentrating on the road, instead she was watching what the police were doing in the lay by and had not noticed the bike slowing down."

Heineken

Elite Member

FitZ6R

My flashing brake LEDS have been sitting around in the package for a while. I think I'll install them before my next ride.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

tractorboy

Man...thats my BIGGEST fear riding... I always keep in gear and keep my eyes on the rear until they STOP COMPLETELY!!

Man!!

WarEagle07

I got rear ended on my 250 ninja by a newer Beatle. I was in a merge lane waiting for a hole in traffic and then WHAM hit me going almost 20 he said.

Damage to my bike = bent license plate and had to adjust my chain

Damage to the VW = busted bumper, busted oil cooler and radiator and airbag deployment!!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I got rear ended on my 250 ninja by a newer Beatle. I was in a merge lane waiting for a hole in traffic and then WHAM hit me going almost 20 he said.

Damage to my bike = bent license plate and had to adjust my chain

Damage to the VW = busted bumper, busted oil cooler and radiator and airbag deployment!!
HAHA

Ninja=1 Beetle=0

Detrich

a fellow biker friend suggested to me to get in the habit of tapping my brake light in 3 quick pulses when getting ready to slow down, because he claims that the sequence of 3 flickers supposedly draws more eye attention from drivers... i've started trying that and will see how it works. <knock on wood>

i do find it very annoying how closely cars tailgate us though...

even before i rode a motorcyle, i always always would leave extra room whenever near a motorcycle- mainly because i always feel that if they suddenly stop or fall or swerve etc. that i sure as hell do not want to be the unlucky driver that runs him over because i was following too close or couldn't get clear.

unfortunately other drivers on the road that tailgate motorcyles just seem to lack that sense of judgement. and, now that i ride, it gets me very mad when they do that to me... but, not much we can do except keep an eye out and steer clear...

JonKerr

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I, too, flash my brake lights. Especially when I am sitting at a stop and no one is behind me yet and traffic is approaching.

MikeN02

The flashing light is a good habit to get into and they do actually sell modulators that do it for you so you don't have to tap the lever three times. I usually will do it if I'm in a lot of traffic. But then I also try and split the lanes when cars are stopped at a stop light to keep my rear end from being exposed to someone not paying attention. That can be tough sometimes though because of cars being too close to each other, the light possibly changing while you're in the middle of them and they're not paying attention etc...
Ah that's what that was, I was riding in a group with some unknown bikers and I saw a bike that had a bright light. He he pushed on his brakes it flashed quickly three or four times and the brake light stayed on.

joloy133

I have a brake light modulator that flashes my rear turn signals 3 times as I engage either brake. They also work as markers full time, as well as blink for turns. This in addition to the stock operating red. There's plenty of safety modulators out there which was my first mod to begin with, I've seen and worked on too many motorcycle accidents to take safety for granted. $0.02

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

tractorboy

I, too, flash my brake lights. Especially when I am sitting at a stop and no one is behind me yet and traffic is approaching.
YEPPPER same here!! Also tape the front brake lever a couple of times in traffic if Im gonna slow. want to get one of those flashing modulators but have not done yet. actually its become habit to tap...

T