Rear Axel Nut Size?

DavidB455

I'm looking for the socket size for the rear axel. I looked in the service manuel and i couldn't find it. Any help would be appreciated :)

DavidB455

Thanks, I am badly needing to tighten my chain, was going to do it today because it was one of the rare days in Scotland where it didn't rain and found i never had the right size. I swear i thought i had already bought the socket but meh, must have lost it.

Chevyfazer

This is something I was told about tightening my chain by a good friend of mine who went to mmi (motorcycle mechanics institute) you need to be sitting on the bike to get your measurement. It might look loose when there is no weight on the bike but once your weight is on it tightens up a bit from the swing arm compressing.

Hope that helps too

DavidB455

I read about that somewhere. Some people like there to be some load on the rear wheel when tightening the chain then others believe its better to have it on a paddock stand or the centre stand. My XJ6-S has a centre stand so am going to go with that method but what you've said makes me want to double check with loading the rear wheel to see if there is that much difference.

Chevyfazer

It all just depends on how much you weigh and what your preload is set at, I weigh 200 and for a while I had my preload set at 1 (softest setting) and when I sat on my bike it made a BIG difference but now that I adjusted my preload to a harder setting 6 it doesn't move that much

DavidB455

I'm 105kg (6"1 to be fair hehe) and i have mine at 6. I sometimes turn it down to 5 if i want a bouncy day but i find that 6 is good because it stiffens everything up in the corners (Scottish roads are full of pot holes)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

DavidB455

Now here is the weird thing. I got the chain to where it was suppose to be, but before i was moving both lock nuts the same amount, i noticed that the rear axel wasn't at the same indicator points on both sides. I fixed this problem but should i have done this?

FitZ6R

Now here is the weird thing. I got the chain to where it was suppose to be, but before i was moving both lock nuts the same amount, i noticed that the rear axel wasn't at the same indicator points on both sides. I fixed this problem but should i have done this?
The indicator marks on the swingarm are pretty useless. Most important thing is to make sure the sprockets are aligned in the same plane (wow, that sounds New Age-y).

RooKie

The indicator marks on the swingarm are pretty useless. Most important thing is to make sure the sprockets are aligned in the same plane (wow, that sounds New Age-y).
Oh boy... I want do switch my rear-sprocket by myself, but I'm afraid that I when I mount the rear tire it will not be perfectly aligned and may wobble.:zombie: I figured that as long as I align the lines on the swing arm I'll be okay, but I guess that's not the case.

Does anyone know of a way to ensure the tire is perfectly aligned that's not just "eyeing it"?

FitZ6R

Oh boy... I want do switch my rear-sprocket by myself, but I'm afraid that I when I mount the rear tire it will not be perfectly aligned and may wobble.:zombie: I figured that as long as I align the lines on the swing arm I'll be okay, but I guess that's not the case.
Don't sweat it, it's really not that big a deal. Eyeball is good enough... trying to use the alignment marks makes it harder than it needs to be.

bmw675

Does anyone know of a way to ensure the tire is perfectly aligned that's not just "eyeing it"?
I ignored the the markes. your wheel cant wobble, it can just run at an angle, creating premature wear on the chain/sprocket and tire.

The way that always worked best for me: measure from the center of the axle nut to the center of the swingarm pivot.