R6 header+Viper Race can = Awesomeness!

btastarsky

Just got my bike back from the bike shop today. My guy installed my 2002 r6 header with the Viper Race Can that I bought with my birthday money (thanks to my fiance and her awesome family).

Header: Free (birthday gift from my parents)

Muffler: $199, free shipping. It's the Micro Oval with carbon fiber tip. Got it at Flyncycle.com.

2 inch muffler clamp: $2.59 from the local Pep Boys store.

Installation: $100. My guy had to heat/bend the header down about 1/4 inch then weld a piece of pipe to the header so that the muffler would fit. The tighten it all down and replace the fairings. He said he had a hell of a time bending the header down, so I imagine that's why he charged me this much.

Total cost for a custom system that sounds the business:$302.59.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mart Man FZ6R

That sounds good. What you going to do about tuning? I like the TB full, but damn is it expensive. Then you have to buy the juice box or PCV on top of that. I'd love to do the exhaust, but I'll have to save my lunch money for a while. LOL

btastarsky

I'm going to order a juice box on friday from the dealership where i bought the bike. The give me 10% off whatever parts/accessories/apparel i buy there. Gonna put it on the yamaha card so i can pay it off bit by bit. I figure the default setting should work just fine since the only real change from the stock system is the elimination of the catalytic converter and a slightly more open muffler.

It already feels like it has more power and the backfiring isn't really bad with my setup. I only hear backfires when I shift gears at around 9-11k rpm.

Also, when I get a couple of complete days off, I'm gonna pull the whole system off and wrap it then paint the wrap.

Mart Man FZ6R

I'm going to order a juice box on friday from the dealership where i bought the bike. The give me 10% off whatever parts/accessories/apparel i buy there. Gonna put it on the yamaha card so i can pay it off bit by bit. I figure the default setting should work just fine since the only real change from the stock system is the elimination of the catalytic converter and a slightly more open muffler.

It already feels like it has more power and the backfiring isn't really bad with my setup. I only hear backfires when I shift gears at around 9-11k rpm.

Also, when I get a couple of complete days off, I'm gonna pull the whole system off and wrap it then paint the wrap.
Cool. Was the R6 header black, or was that a result of heating to bend the pipe?

Last edited:

rjsantana20

Looks good. Does it sound good? How about the sound video?

joloy133

Nice job. Actually one of the mods I like the best so far. Looks mean and with a blue bike that exact can is ........tough.

btastarsky

I dont have a digital video camera right now. I'm gonna ask around my circle of friends and see who has one. I'll post a video asap. It sounds pretty similar to other midship systems, but the idle is a bit deeper. Im also gonna buy a baffle for it, since my parents say it's too loud (although not as loud as my old man's vulcan 800 with drag pipes). It is a nice deep tone, but as the rpm climbs it definitely gets that 600 inline four scream to it.

btastarsky

Here is the video I promised that I would post. A bit late, but still got it done.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnQO8hbv-fo]YouTube - Fz6r + viper race can = awesomeness![/ame]

Quietwhisper

oh wow that sounds really awesome!

pyrocpu

Great! Thanks for the vid!
How's the clearance to the rear brake lever?

Spunky99

btastarsky...you are my inspiration.

I decided to do the same setup you have. You say the clip is without the JuiceBox installed?
If so it sounds great as it is......

I just pulled the trigger on a R6 header on eBay for $39.99 including shipping and it looks like it is in great shape and local if it is a POS with 7 day return.

I have a oxy-acetylene setup so I should be able to bend, shape or alter the header to fit the bike.

Are there any other alternative mufflers to the Viper out there? I want all options.

Anyone?

btastarsky

The clearance for the brake lever is fine. There is like 3/4 of an inch of room, which is more than enough.

This video is with a juice box installed. I adjusted it to add a bit more fuel.

I chose this can becuase it sounded totally bad ass on my buddy's sv650sf and also becuase it was really affordable. $200 with shipping included, not to mention the fact that my fiance and her family gave me the cash to get it. It's a 2" straight through design with stainless steel packing.

For anyone wanting to do this mod, any header from 98 to 05 will work, just needs bent down a bit at the second set of "elbows". It will probably require 2 people tho cuz that's what my mechanic needed. It will also need a link pipe welded onto the header to match up the intake sizes. I would reccommend wrapping the header after bending it. I will be doing this when I get a couple days off and can mess around with it.

jrv81

awesome! look and sounds for real! I was thinking of doing this but cheaped out lol Are you going to polish or spray the headers and mid pipes?

Spunky99

awesome! look and sounds for real! I was thinking of doing this but cheaped out lol Are you going to polish or spray the headers and mid pipes?
I called a plating company today. All the platers only plate brand new exhaust now. The EPA forced them to get rid of the cleaning equipment and solvents and the carbon destroys the plating system so no used exhaust is allowed at all.
The guy said hey tried to plug the exhaust but a leak will cost the 10K in equipment for a $50.00 plating job and they all refuse to do it now.

Just clean and polish and or use some VHT Flameproof paint to clean up the used header. Or you can wrap it in some appropriate material.

Looks like I will be cleaning and polishing.....maybe some flat aluminum VHT if I have to.

btastarsky

There isn't really a mid pipe, just a small piece that fits inside the can and onto the header to bridge the size gap between the two. Unless you wanna weld the can directly to the header, this is the way to go as it affords you the ability to change end cans later on down the road if you so wished. As I stated earlier, the next time i get a couple days off in a row and dont have anything else planned, i'm gonna take the header off and put thermal wrap on it and then spray paint it black with high heat paint. This will finish off the look.

Also, if you are thinking about this mod you should know this.....the increase in power is pretty substanital on the top end of the tach. A couple of times I have gotten some front end wobble while running high in the rpm's in third gear. You may wanna look into a steering dampener if you have a problem with this small side effect. I dont go that high into the rpms all that often so it's no big deal to me. You should also be prepared to draw longer stares and more comments on how awesome your bike is because of the righteous sound. You've been warned. :Sport: