r6 forks on fz6r?

vitrox

okay, did more work today, the fz steering stem will not press into the r6 triple clamp. The fz stem is too small. I took the r6 stem and the fz stem over to a machine shop, they are going to make the top of the r6 stem match the fz stem so that it will bolt in. They are also making a collar for the machined r6 stem so that it will still fit into the r6 top triple with no slop. *sigh*

To sum it up, unless you really really want r6 forks, I don't suggest this mod..

Total cost so far is $540, and I still need to get a rim/rotors, and pay for the machining, which I don't know the cost on that yet. They said somewhere around $250.. But we'll see, hopefully tomorrow I can get the r6 forks bolted up.

more to follow as it happens.

Lilday

okay, did more work today, the fz steering stem will not press into the r6 triple clamp. The fz stem is too small. I took the r6 stem and the fz stem over to a machine shop, they are going to make the top of the r6 stem match the fz stem so that it will bolt in. They are also making a collar for the machined r6 stem so that it will still fit into the r6 top triple with no slop. *sigh*

To sum it up, unless you really really want r6 forks, I don't suggest this mod..

Total cost so far is $540, and I still need to get a rim/rotors, and pay for the machining, which I don't know the cost on that yet. They said somewhere around $250.. But we'll see, hopefully tomorrow I can get the r6 forks bolted up.

more to follow as it happens.
Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but did you have any luck?

platinumstatus

I've been thinking about doing the same i found a few good deals on ebay, i think for those of us that want to make our bike sportier this is the only option. I'm looking into 03-05 r6 forks with non radial brake calipers because they are easier to find and relatively cheap 40-50 bucks since our fz6r calipers won't match also all you need are some woodcraft clipons with risers because the r6 forks are 43mm I'm thinking goal cost would be around 550 for parts only not a bad investment since i plan on having this bike 2-3 years at least