r6 forks on fz6r?

vitrox

08/09 R6r Fork Install

has anyone done it yet? i'm thinking of puchasing the whole front end to do the conversion but I would like to know if the stem fits, anyone know before I spend 700 bucks on something I can't use? oh, and i'm looking at 06-10 forks, not the r6s just regular r6.

I purchased this 6r wrecked, so instead of spending 700 on oem forks, i'd like to just upgrade to something I can work with.

Last edited:

roidrage

actually i heard the same thing... If your going to stay with the fz6r i would do it. im going to keep my bike but just upgrade the suspension it has. later i will upgrade to 1000cc... but in time. i will have both. I love this bike, just want something faster only when i can handle it. Im taking out a CBR1000rr tomorrow... im kinda nervous but my buddy is going to show me the ropes :)

vitrox

i already have an r1 for racing, the 6r is just for commuting, i got really tired of changing bodywork and tires every week.

i'll probably pull the trigger on the r6 forks/triples/head/brakes in a while, once funds are there. i'll document all the work in case it does work.

travstoll

i already have an r1 for racing, the 6r is just for commuting, i got really tired of changing bodywork and tires every week.

i'll probably pull the trigger on the r6 forks/triples/head/brakes in a while, once funds are there. i'll document all the work in case it does work.
would it be better to do this or just throw some racetech internals into our forks? I can definitely see upgrading the brakes though, upgrading from a 2 piston caliper to a four, and maybe a different master cylinder...

I need to have my suspension set up by someone that knows what they are doing before I make any decisions about my suspension (I can do a lot of mechanical things, but suspension adjustments is something I haven't dabbled in yet, I don't trust myself enough) and handling though, this is all just speculation and thoughts from my previous bikes.

JonKerr

Elite Member

AKZ6R

has anyone done it yet? i'm thinking of puchasing the whole front end to do the conversion but I would like to know if the stem fits, anyone know before I spend 700 bucks on something I can't use? oh, and i'm looking at 06-10 forks, not the r6s just regular r6.

I purchased this 6r wrecked, so instead of spending 700 on oem forks, i'd like to just upgrade to something I can work with.
Look, call me a n00b as I haven't even picked up my Fizzer yet, but why on earth would you want to change the front forks? What are you going to gain out of that? This is a geniune question and by no means am I trying to be a smart ass. Just wondering what the benefits and gains are over the OEM forks.

vitrox

I picked up my 6r wrecked, so the forks are both bent. from the dealer they cost around 600 to replace. an entire r6 front end costs around 650-850 depending on the seller. Factor in my labor (free), and maybe some special parts or machining for another 100 or so, I think i'd rather go with the r6 forks for slightly more money. I'm used to my r1 and would like the 6r to perform closely to it. My r1 is setup with ohlins suspension, so I know its not the same, but I would like some adjustability at least. the rear shock will be next on the list once I get this thing road worthy.

I'll be doing this swap soon hopefully, i'll take pics as I go if it all works out.

joloy133

Look, call me a n00b as I haven't even picked up my Fizzer yet, but why on earth would you want to change the front forks? What are you going to gain out of that? This is a geniune question and by no means am I trying to be a smart ass. Just wondering what the benefits and gains are over the OEM forks.
The bike was made to appeal to newbies, women, and those returning to riding, that's a given and why its such a great overall bike. The riders then are expected to cover a wide range of varying abilities and sizes, in addition to riding regimen. Most pertinent reviews indicate the suspension being on the soft side, especially when riding hard. Suspension adjustments may make it better for you, and are just as important as engine mods. You'll really know when you put together tight turns at speed, nose will drop and feel "mushy" into the turn. If you don't do this type of riding, stock if OK. (...but the bike feels great cornering and its addictive).

vitrox

fyi, i just found a set of 08/09 forks/triples on ebay and bought them, write up coming soon.

ps, thanks bing for the $32 cash back. ;)

vitrox

well, my r6 forks showed up today, missing a few parts on them though.. I went to my local dealer and ordered the bearings/nuts/washers to bolt the stem up. Also the brake reservoir cap was busted into 3 pieces, so I ordered that too. I'll start posting up pics when I get started on this. Soon hopefully.

i also found out the bearings are the same on the r6 as the fz, so hopefully it all works.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Hellgate

Check out the FZ6 side of the forum, lots of write ups on the R6 fork conversion. The R6 fork is night and day better than the stock fork. The stock fork is really a complete POS. That and you get to change out to the R6 brakes, which are very nice.

Also keep in mind that the center of the calipers may not align with the center of the brake rotor. For the FZ6 shims need to be used. Then there is the issue of mounting the F6 fender to the R6 fork, two completely different systems. For this tabs are made, some guys machined brackets, to adapt one to the other.

It's a bit of a PITA, but well worth the effort.:)

While you're at it, get an Ohlins and the bike will really perform.

Last edited:

vitrox

unfortunately this bike is not an fz6, it is a completely different bike, and does not come with inverted forks stock. The fz6 writeup will likely not apply. Which would explain why nobody has done it yet.

Hellgate

unfortunately this bike is not an fz6, it is a completely different bike, and does not come with inverted forks stock. The fz6 writeup will likely not apply. Which would explain why nobody has done it yet.
Right, I understand it is a completely different bike but the same ideas to consider apply. The problem with the FZ6R is the fork tubes are 41mm, the FZ6/R6 are 43mm so you can't simply replace the fork legs and respace the calipers. To put an R6 fork on you would probably need to do the whole front end and figure out a handle bar solution. Also remember there are three generations of R6 forks, two traditional, one USD.

Good luck with your project.

vitrox

yah, i'm going to buy the front wheel/rotors if it is necessary, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Still need to get the bike down to the shop to tear the front end off it.

also, i bought 2008/09 r6 forks, not the s version, so they are 50mm triples, they also came with clipons, so i'm going to be using those. If I feel the need to raise them up, there are plenty of companies that sell risers.

I have the entire front assembly off the 08 r6, except the wheel/rotors.

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

vitrox

updates, took the front end off the fz, and attempted to bolt up the r6 front end. No go. The upper bearing race that is just below the triple is too small. I have a r6 bearing, but its too large to fit the outer race into the frame. I had steering stem pressed out of the fz's lower triples today. I haven't taken the r6 over yet to get pressed out, because I have to diassemble it first.
Good news though, the lower bearings are the same on fz and r6, so if all goes well, I should be able to press the steering stem off the fz into the r6 lower triple, then everything should bolt up with some minor adjustments to the top as far as the nuts/washers.
Also, the fz wheel does not bolt up to the r6 forks, the axle on the r6 is about 3/8 - 1/2 inch larger in diameter than the fzs axle. You would have to get custom bearings installed to get it to bolt up, and possible some spacers because the rim is very skinny at the center. I couldn't tell if the rotors would work, it would be simpler to just buy a r6 wheel/rotor setup.

anyway, so thats where it stands for today. I'll have more updates and pictures once I figure out a solution to get it on there.

few pics I took today, 2 show the upper bearing and how it does not fit into the fz frame. The other is just a shot of the progress and where I left it at today.

Last edited: