Quick Battery Drain

elderproctor

In Maryland we have been have normal fall temps so far. It's been dipping to the mid 30's - 40's at night and high's around 50's to high 60's during the day. So, yesterday we crank her up to run her and she seems fine. We run into the house come out she shut off. We try to restart and all you here is this clicking sound and couldn't believe that the battery died.

We access the battery charge her for about 20 minutes and she cranks with no problem.

Do this sound normal with temp's being not extremely low.

** My husbands Honda CBR 1000 started no problem

JSP

Super Moderator
How long do you or have you been normaly riding the bike? The battery only charges over 5k rpm I believe. So if you have been doing short low rpm trips, it will drain the battery. Letting it idle for long periods of time will also drain it.

elderproctor

That has to be it! Recently I have been doing short trips so, I will have to let it idle longer on a more regular basis. Thanks..

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
That has to be it! Recently I have been doing short trips so, I will have to let it idle longer on a more regular basis. Thanks..
NO, idle will NOT charge the battery. The charge system only works above 4-5k rpm. If you are looking to keep the battery charged without a tender, you would need to ride around the block several times in 1st or 2nd gear to keep the rpms high enough to charge the battery. Or you could do some longer highway trips. But idling the engine will only drain the battery.

SilentT

Battery Tender

I put the pig tail lead from the battery and use a Battery Tender during the down time. This also will lengthen the overall life

Heineken

Elite Member

elderproctor

Thanks

Thanks for the schooling, i will do the short trips as long as the weather permits. 1st bike and learning as I go along. Thanks a lot :)

NO, idle will NOT charge the battery. The charge system only works above 4-5k rpm. If you are looking to keep the battery charged without a tender, you would need to ride around the block several times in 1st or 2nd gear to keep the rpms high enough to charge the battery. Or you could do some longer highway trips. But idling the engine will only drain the battery.