question about fz6r and ninja 650

amos13579

Hey all, I'm looking to purchase my first bike, and I don't know which one to choose, I just want to know which one has a more aggressive ride position,more forward lean, more like a supersports, or are they both not.by the way I know they are not supersport, just want to know which one has a more forward lean in stock, I know I can modify it.

Last edited:

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

pkoko

If you want best overall bike and willing to sacrifice fuel economy... you cant beat fz6r. The ninja 650 is less comfortable, handles worse, vibrate more but has more street friendly engine and lower MSRP & ABS.

RooKie

If you're set on the 650 of FZ6R, here's a comparison review 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 VS 2012 Yamaha FZ6R Next Besters

You may also want to try sitting on them in the show room and test ride them if possible.

In the end it's all up to what makes YOU happy. Different strokes for different folks. :thumbup:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

latony007

Feel like I said this recently.... FZ6R has a lot of things that make is a great bike to ride. Weight and power hurt the beginner, imo especially the weight. Grab a 250 or 500cc bike for a grand, ride it for 6 months, and then upgrade. If you get a brand new bike and slide it, you'll be pissed. Also, I got quoted $1,500+ for full insurance on my FZ6R, my GS 500 cost me just over $100 a year as a brand new rider.

Different size, weight, and power bikes are nothing like different cars. Trust us, start on something lighter and smaller.

...but when you do make the jump, FZ6R for sure. My best friend has a 650, we swap all the time. He has better tires, brakes, and his front end looks better. Every single other thing about the Yamaha is better!
We did just do this Mr. T for go wild lol. He wanted a new 650 or 600 and we told him if he has never ridden before to get a 250 or 300, he wound up with a vulcan 900 lol. If this is your first bike ever im with Mr. T get a used 250 or 300 and sell it in a year, thats what those bikes are for, or even a 600 cc cruiser then get the Fz6R next. If you have your heart set on one of these two i would def. go with the 6R. My bro has a ninja and not nearly as nice. Forget the supersports all they give you is a horrible riding position made only for the track. if you need more power eventually the Ninja 1K or Fz1 are the way to go. Good luck let us know how it goes.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Nmexico

Former 650 owner here, the 650 is a great bike. Sweet Torque and a change of handlebars does wonders for it. Just the Strong engine braking droves me nuts. I think that is the deciding factor here, that one negative point.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Nmexico

Stock for Stock between the 2.

The Ninja 650 feels less agile than the FZ. I think the 650 has more top heavy feel to it which is not good to have if you are doing a lot of city riding. The FZ is just more fun to handle period.

latony007

Stock for Stock between the 2.

The Ninja 650 feels less agile than the FZ. I think the 650 has more top heavy feel to it which is not good to have if you are doing a lot of city riding. The FZ is just more fun to handle period.
i agree, keep in mind i am comparing a i think 09 ninja with a 12 fz6r but based on that the FZ is i think easier to flick side to side and just handles better overall.

latony007

I felt the Ninja 650 was WAY lighter than our bike (but my friend has expensive Pirelli tires on his). Everyone says tires can transform a bike. Guess they are right! Now I'm really looking forward to putting a new set on my FZ. C'mon tax return!! :D
Its feels maybe slightly lighter IMO, what tires are you going to put on ? the Q3? Dont want to get a thread hijacking ticket but mine are about done and i need to put on tires that will grip but last more than 5000 miles, i just can afford to replace them every year or so.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member