PWC's? Any body have one - thoughts and opinions

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

latony007

Thread title says it all....PWC's? AKA jet ski's Any body have one - thoughts and opinions?

BTW I will not buy another Yamaha...

Sea doo/Kawasaki...or something else?
Don't own one but went to the river last year and rode this yellow one where you really sit down low made for one person and that thing was a blast because it turned on a dime. Wish I knew the make. Also had a Yamaha three seater and that was fast as hell but did do a reverse spin like this other one. I did own a boat for years and can tell you all watercraft are expensive to have.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

Anything that goes over water is f&#%ing expensive! The eat fuel, cost a lot to transport, cost a lot to store, cost a lot to clean, cost a lot to... well, you get the picture. They are a pile of fun, though. The cool thing about anything with a jet drive is that they stick like glue to the water. The impeller sucks the hull down to the water and mind bending handling is the result.
Newer big power PWC's suffer from mass. They are huge. If you look honestly at a brand new 3 seat PWC, it is a boat you sit on instead of in. If you want to have some "beat the snot out of it" fun, buy an older, smaller 2-stroke machine and tune the engine up. If you want to effortlessly cruise up the lake at 60MPH you will sacrifice some tossability. It is not unlike snowmobiling. You will also make a Chev Tahoe pushing through a foot of snow in 4WD seem as fuel efficient as a Prius. A 240HP PWC will eat fuel faster than you ever thought possible. So will an old 2-stroke, though, so just get used to buying gas.
All in all, PWC's are a lot of fun. I mean A LOT of fun. The cons, though, are that you can't drive it straight out of the garage (towing and launching costs time and money), they sort of suck in anything less than perfect weather, and if you are lacking is nearby waterways you can exhaust and get bored of your riding area quickly. Also, water is water; don't expect varied terrain. The wake off a ski boat is as close to dynamic conditions you will experience unless you are close to the ocean.
Have you ever considered a small jet boat? The most compact ones are essentially the size of a large PWC, and handle like a razor blade. Something neat to consider. They are similar in price to a higher end PWC but much better to take a friend along.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Grumpy

I have owned a number of PWCs all Yamaha but one, a Polaris. I have hot rod them the works and really didn'y have any problems with them but for the Polaris.

Given Yamaha's current legal bullying all over the web, I will not by another Yamaha product no matter what it is.

I have herd nothing but good things about Honda PWCs though I don't have any experience with them. Given that they produce great products al'bet slightly more money than most. I think the quality is worth the extra money and they don't harass online forums owners either.

Last edited:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member