Put'r down :( - Need opinion

mvj

Let me start off with I am a long time reader of these forums, first post here :p

Well the thing we all dread at some point, I was at a four way stop, with no one currently at the intersection but me, an oncoming car was approaching but it was a little ways away. I started to turn left and the car that was approaching did not slow down, the car tried to slam on the brakes and veer into my lane ( wtf? ), so I tried to hard turn left to avoid the car and I lost control. The bike landed on the left side, hit the curb, flipped and landed on the right. I did not suffer any real injuries, I was wearing full protective gear. The a-hole took off after he saw what happened.

Most of the damage is exterior, the 2 major areas damaged that worry me about a potential total, the handlebar is bent but centered the wheel is still straight. The only damage to the frame is on the rear, pictured below. I know sometimes insurance sees frame damage and they just want to total. What are your opinions? Is it major enough to warrant it? I want to do everything I can to avoid a total. Worst case, I do have a friend that works at Yamaha and he said he could get me a new frame for $500.

Total of the parts that I have added up so far, for OEM Yamaha parts is about $2,000. ( Not dealer prices ) Not including the handlebars.

JonKerr

Elite Member

bmw675

I'm assuming you are ok, because you are just telling us about the bike.

That's the rear swingarm, not the frame itself. Did the frame get damaged as well? What about plastics? That's what really gets you. Engine covers? Insurance will see the small scuffs on anything else, and will probably will want to replace them too.

It's all up to you about turning it in to the insurance. What you can live with, and what doesn't bother you. But I'd still get the bike checked out for any "hidden" damage. Twisted triple clamp, forks, ect. Then take it from there.

Deathdiesel

Thats not the frame bud, thats the swingarm, it is replaceable. Just fyi, so I doubt a total but I cant see anything besides those 2.

mvj

Well, I never said I was an expert, lol.

I looked around for frame damage but could not find any, that I can see anyway. Yes the plastics are damaged, but I can good prices on OEM parts.
Both fairing will need to be replaced, the rear bracket that holds the liscense plate and turn signals is gone.
My buddy can get the fairings for $120 a peice, have not checked on much tho. Like I said, I really will do anything to prevent a total..

Here are a few more;

Left Side:

Right side

Foot rest broke off and brake bent;

Rim bent;

bmw675

That looks like a harder hit than I imagined. With the wheel being bent, I would almost bet on something else on the front being tweaked.

If you added up the different parts that have damaged, you'd be suprised how high it will get. I definetly would get a full estimate, and go from there. I think insurance might be a good idea here.

You don't "need" the rear fender. You could buy or mock up a license plate bracket for under $15 if you do decide to take care of it yourself.

mvj

Yeah I am for sure going to get it checked out.

From the items I can see, it totaled around $2,000

If the frame is ok, and everything is straight, I will probably have to work with the adjuster.

VRIIClubby

hey mate,

I just had a low side on mine, did only my right side, handle bar a fraction of a mm, mirror, engine cowel, rear grab handle... that equalled $3500 here in Aus.

If mine had of looked like your's, it would have been a write off, as hard as it is, I would want it written off, there has got to be damage under those fairings and those forks!

sorry to say that bud,

good luck and lucky your ok!

EsrTek

First glad your okay!!!

For the bike, w/ rim that bent, I'd worry about the forks.
The rest of that is rash and replacing plastics/engine covers .
For the prices you can get parts for, I'd keep it off insurance radar and fix it yourself.
Start w/ parts that make bike work/run then worry about the plastics and rash down the road, if you find the main component damage was manageable.
No sense spending money on plastics, just to find out the unseen damage makes it not worth fixing.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

jmlevy85

Even if the insurance wants to total the bike out you can still keep it. What they will do is total it out and tell you how much you are going to get for it...don't let them low ball you cause they will try. Show them how much bikes like yours are going for in your area and that is the amount they should be giving you. Once you figure out what they are giving you for the insurance tell them you want to by the bike back and they will usually just take a small portion out of the insurance money and you will have the rest to fix the bike. Of course this is only worth doing if you can get the parts at a killer deal and if you dont mind doing all the work or having someone to do the work. I do this with cars quite frequently.

bmw675

Even if the insurance wants to total the bike out you can still keep it. What they will do is total it out and tell you how much you are going to get for it...don't let them low ball you cause they will try. Show them how much bikes like yours are going for in your area and that is the amount they should be giving you. Once you figure out what they are giving you for the insurance tell them you want to by the bike back and they will usually just take a small portion out of the insurance money and you will have the rest to fix the bike. Of course this is only worth doing if you can get the parts at a killer deal and if you dont mind doing all the work or having someone to do the work. I do this with cars quite frequently.
Not always the case. His location says Midwest, but I'm not exactly sure where. In illinois, you do not have that option on vehicles under 7 years old. I just ran into this issue last month.

BradSPE

Glad you are okay. I have not had to deal with insurance on a motorcycle. Short of paying the deductible and getting the cash for your bike and putting it towards a new ride, wouldn't that be more worthwhile than taking the time and energy and personal finances to fix that?

Does making a motorcycle claim substantially increase your premiums outweighing the desire to make the claim? Maybe someone who has made a claim can weigh in.

latony007

plate number

I wish you would have gotten the pricks plate number that just ran off. Who the hell watches someone crash on their motorcycle (or a car for that matter) and drives off? Glad your ok, looking at those pictures makes me want to cry though. I just laid mine down ever so gently last night and im still pissed at myself for it. luckily all that got damages was the turn signal so im putting on flush mounts. I know nothing about wrecks but that bent rim scares me. If its going to cost 2 or 3 grand id try and get them to scrap it. I just paid 6300 for my new 12

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member