Pushed it to far

nlpyle

As it says in my title I pushed it to far. My tank was close to empty and of course the light flashing telling me I need fuel but I thought I could squeak one more work trip in and pick up fuel on the way home:spank:
Boy was I wrong. My last tank I was able to get a little of 160 miles out of. I ran out of gas at 150 this time. So I called the wife and of course she does not answer so I am about 3/4 a mile from the gas station. My dress clothes on my winter jacket and riding pants over my dress pants I decide to walk. I should say it was raining when I went to work this morning, this being why I had that gear on. I start walking and no problem till I reach the first hill. Slight hill again no problem. Then next little hill is steeeeeep. I reach the top and now I am out of breath but I can see the gas station. So pushing my bike along the side of the road fully geared and have no problem with that. Laughing at myself for being an idiot. Then I notice that not a single car is moving over at all but instead just drive right by. Granted the speed limit was only 40 but there were two lanes and no cars were in the other lane. That part sorta made me a little upset but I made it and fueled up just fine. Oh and our tank can hold 4.3 gallons of gas, well maybe more if you sit it up straight to fuel up but I don't do that.

Question though. If you do the math, that means I only got around 34 miles to that gallon. Before I was getting around 40. could an oil change improve this. I am giong to change my oil tomorrow because I am close to that 4k mark. But just really weird how it dropped that much. Any ideas is always helpful. Thanks.

Nate

Newmason

That is pretty odd, because I am getting about 160 and then filling up to a full tank and even then it wont allow me to put 4.3 gallons in, only around 3.8 or so. How had you been riding the bike? If you had been riding pretty aggressivly the entire tank you could really see some different ranges as your using up more gas, but if you were just putting around town commuting and no playriding, then you should be getting the same each time. Im not sure an oil change would change your gas mileage but I am sure your motor would appreciate it!

nlpyle

Most of my riding is to work and back, rarely do I get to go out and play but I do jump on it once in a while but most of my riding is in city. And yes I am sure the bike will love some new fluids. This will be the first time I do it by myself so I am looking forward to that.

I have heard things like, oil change, tire pressure, the weather and the way you ride can effect your mileage. That just seemed to be a bit of a change. But we will see after the oil change if that helps at all.

streetmaster

Looks like I'll have to be careful when I get my 6R!
I get about 170 miles out of a tankful in my 650 V Star riding aggressivly (for a cruiser!) & that only has a 4.2 gallon tank!

MikeN02

Honestly I would have done the same thing as you did except get more pissed off at myself because I let my girl die down and walk on the side of the road with nails and debris to puncture and injure her.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Superfly

150miles = 240km

I did 288km today and only slightly less than 14L of fuel.

I was 30%city 70%hwy

150miles is pretty poor fuel mileage...

I ride full throttle through the gears when I can but I'm usually up in 6th gear as soon as I can...above 60km/hr or so.

I think my mileage is improving as the temps get warmer. today was near 20C or 70F

porky45

i get about 38-40 combined with my sprocket swap so if you're getting 32 then there's something wrong.

There's another element you guys need to consider... how you actually fill your tank up. Do you fill it up on the kickstand? do you sit the bike straight up and just fill it until the nozzle clicks off? or do you do what i do.

Sit the bike straight up, pull back the rubber boot/sleeve/whatever you call it and top it off until the gas is just a bit above the rim.

RenegadeRider

I just filled up 157miles @ 3.4 gallons... I'm still in break-in... and GENERALLY keep it below 6k through the gears. I have taken it to 9-10k...

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure the various conditions compounded to affect your mpg. An oil change will not likely change it much.

Even with my TBR exhaust, JB programmed to add fuel, and my "twitchy" right hand I still get about 42 mpg. :thumbup:

nlpyle

yes I must say that when you run out of gas and have to push your bike to a gas station it is almost a walk of shame. But thanks to all for the info. Ya this one is just weird. Like a i was saying earlier I can get around 160 out of a tank but maybe i have been riding differently and just didn't notice it. A lot of to and from work, through city streets and it is only about 5 miles each way with a lot of stop lights. But maintance today and we will see how this tank goes. I will surely put a closer eye on my gas this time. Thank again to all.

Roaddawg

When I strictly commute, I get 48-49 MPG. When I ride for fun, 41-43 MPG. I check my MPG's once a week, and they have been consistent. I know its not recommended to sit on your bike, holding it upright, while fueling, but I always do. That way I can fill it to the top of the metal thingy and be consistent on my fill ups and figuring my MPG. That way I also get enough gas to make three trips to work and back home (150-160 miles) before the next fill up.

RenegadeRider

That way I also get enough gas to make three trips to work and back home (150-160 miles) before the next fill up.
That's what I TRY to do... but it's so hard to resist going on afternoon / evening rides! :steve:

porky45

When I strictly commute, I get 48-49 MPG. When I ride for fun, 41-43 MPG. I check my MPG's once a week, and they have been consistent. I know its not recommended to sit on your bike, holding it upright, while fueling, but I always do. That way I can fill it to the top of the metal thingy and be consistent on my fill ups and figuring my MPG. That way I also get enough gas to make three trips to work and back home (150-160 miles) before the next fill up.
I do this as well.

Why isn't it recommended? I'm like you, I'd rather get as much in the tank as I can to avoid multiple trips to the pump.

And.. Like you said, it's also easier to gauge mpg's this way.