Proper Shifting Points

DevlDog

Hey guys, I was curious if there are any proper shifting points for our bike. I had a manual car before, and generally when I reached x speed I'd switch to second gear, x speed I'd go to second, etc. Does that also apply to shifting on a bike, or is it more a matter of personal preference and how hard you're trying to ride your engine?

Also, for you guys who had mentioned/PM'd me about taking hte MSF course, I passed my MSF course this weekend. Had a lot of fun and learned a lot more. Also got a little strip along the back of my neck faintly sunburnt where my riding jacket and helmet didn't meet -_- lol.

abyss1406

i think the owners manual says something about shifting.

My Yamaha Prompt - Owners Manual

look at page 6-2 and read on about operation. Thats Yamaha's recommended shift points.

BKP

Hey guys, I was curious if there are any proper shifting points for our bike. I had a manual car before, and generally when I reached x speed I'd switch to second gear, x speed I'd go to second, etc. Does that also apply to shifting on a bike, or is it more a matter of personal preference and how hard you're trying to ride your engine?

Also, for you guys who had mentioned/PM'd me about taking hte MSF course, I passed my MSF course this weekend. Had a lot of fun and learned a lot more. Also got a little strip along the back of my neck faintly sunburnt where my riding jacket and helmet didn't meet -_- lol.
At least you had a sunny couple of days...
When I originally did that MSF class it rained for the two solid days... downpours... and they don't cancel for weather...

Shift points are largely personal preference IMHO. I think the *only* common consensus is that the recommended shift points in the manual are ridiculous.
That being said, I personally shift around 6k rpm, as opposed to a particular speed. The bike seems to "like" that range, and appears to shift most smoothly around 6k. The one exception to that, is I shift asap from 1st to 2nd. 1st gear is simply to get you moving.

Congratulations on passing, and on the new bike...

Ride safe.

DevlDog

@abyss1406: I have read through the manual several times, trying to familiarize myself with the information inside while I was sitting around at the house a few times. Like BKP said after your post, those shift points seemed rather ridiculous. However, thanks for your post :)

@BKP: Thanks for your information man. I'll keep it in mind next time I get out on the road.

Deathdiesel

Id agree with the above, manual reccomendations are insane. I shift around 6-8k depending on my mood. I find smoothest shifting between 6500-7k though.

abyss1406

@abyss1406: I have read through the manual several times, trying to familiarize myself with the information inside while I was sitting around at the house a few times. Like BKP said after your post, those shift points seemed rather ridiculous. However, thanks for your post :)

@BKP: Thanks for your information man. I'll keep it in mind next time I get out on the road.

Its because they are ridiculous, have you ever seen a pig wear lipstick? cause that basically the same thing

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Invader Jim

The shift points the owner's manual lists are way too low. I tend to shift up at ~5K (maybe 6) RPM if I am not seeking to rapidly accelerate. I don't let it fall lower than 4K except for 1st gear.

For rapid acceleration (getting on a highway) I frequently use 1st until ~25- 30 and then 2nd until 60-65 and then shift all the up to 6th to cruise at 60+ mph.

sammy56

No reason to over complicate this.....
Shift before red line....that's it....wherever you wish from there.
Welcome to the forum.

LB

RooKie

Think of the shift points in the manual as the bare minimum speed you can go at a specific gear.

I can't remember the exact numbers, but this should be around the right...

2nd gear = 12 mph (means that you should not go below 12 mph in 2nd)
3rd gear = 18 mph (do not go below 18 mph in 3rd)
... etc..

you can travel at roughly 10mph in 2nd and still be okay... but anything below that, the rpms are too low and the engine may stall.

Like most people said before, 6K rpms is the sweet spot to shift UP.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

whittaker

I spend 7 days a week on my bike over here in aus rain hail or shine i have 3 different shift points i use, the head on first gear is quite short by the time you hit around 30mph (i speak in kms normally i apologize) your *** end will be at the point where it is being a bit choppy my first track day i hit a corner in first gear at quite a pace and she didn't love it but quite happily stuck like glue... that being said for slow commuter riding 4.5-6 is the shift range normally but i honestly rev her to 8k for a bit of a paced ride but it will quite happily rev up to 11 but too each their own it's a very very sturdy bike and will work wonders no matter what range you shift.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member