Problems trackday riding

Roaddawg

You guys have to remember too that this bike isn't really designed to be a track bike...it's a standard street bike with a sporty fairing. So, I find it hard to complain that it doesn't handle the track well like an R6 or similar....it wasn't built for that.

JSP

Super Moderator
+1 on what funkmaxtor said. If the pegs did not pivot up and were solidly mounted to the frame, you would have a problem. Since they simply move out of the way, there is no hard contact with the asphalt. I read earlier where someone took the feelers off the pegs, that gives you a little extra angle and still should be safe.
Just thinking about it right now and watching some lowsides where rearsets and pegs touch first. If you are putting good weight on the inside peg and it hits, cant that take a little weight off the rear tire and allow it to slide out from you resulting in a lowside?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Just thinking about it right now and watching some lowsides where rearsets and pegs touch first. If you are putting good weight on the inside peg and it hits, cant that take a little weight off the rear tire and allow it to slide out from you resulting in a lowside?
Yep, it's possible. But you would really need to be putting pressure down to get it to stay in place while allowing pressure to be taken off the rear tire. Kinda like spinning a top. :rolleyes:

joloy133

When you start to really push it in the streets, even canyons, on our bikes, the thought process starts to get a little "squidly". Join a club and get to the track! Better riders did exactly that before you bite the big one, or your buddy does!

frit1250

Got A Knee Down On My FZ6R

Just wanted to say it is possible to get a knee down on a FZ6R and not scrape the pegs.

On my first track day with the bike, I was scrapping my boot in the turns. There was a photographer at the track day and looking at the picture I could see how my position was wrong.

At my second track day (free track day from NESBA with the purchase of my bike) I focused on position and kept my foot well on top of the peg, and my body low and increased my lean angle. During the last lap of the day I got my knee down.

Now I want to replace the stock pegs with R6 pegs. The rubber on the FZ6R pegs feels kind of flimsy when your leaning and putting weight on them.

ksanbon

My rear tire had some strange "stairs" with small rubber tabs at edges of the tirepattern as if the rear shock was bad. (i guess that im to heavy for the spring... im on about 95kg 180cm. With gear on maybe 100 - 105?
It seems to me that your tire might be "cupped" or scalloped. It's often caused by improper inflation. Can you feel any vibration when you're riding?
If the tread is cupped up the sides, you might think about replacing them for aggressive cornering because, in my mind, not all the rubber is meeting the road.

Motorcycle Tire Wear

Last edited:

GoGreen09

When you start to really push it in the streets, even canyons, on our bikes, the thought process starts to get a little "squidly". Join a club and get to the track! Better riders did exactly that before you bite the big one, or your buddy does!
I did just that! Haven't been on this forum this year coz I got caught up with getting a track bike and doing trackdays. I love our bike, but it just doesn't hold up when you're on the track. Can you take it to a track? Yes, but it doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Try not to push our bike too far on a track.

joloy133

I did just that! Haven't been on this forum this year coz I got caught up with getting a track bike and doing trackdays. I love our bike, but it just doesn't hold up when you're on the track. Can you take it to a track? Yes, but it doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Try not to push our bike too far on a track.
Nice to hear from you.........what track bike did you get?

Halon

Now I want to replace the stock pegs with R6 pegs. The rubber on the FZ6R pegs feels kind of flimsy when your leaning and putting weight on them.
I agree about the stock pegs, I would love to see more of a writeup on how another member here installed the r1 rearsets with his franken-fz6r.

GoGreen09

Nice to hear from you.........what track bike did you get?
Hey Joe! Got a 1999 CBR600 F4 with lots of "make you go fast" parts!

joloy133

Hey Joe! Got a 1999 CBR600 F4 with lots of "make you go fast" parts!
Is this going to be a dedicated track bike? That would be awesome, no worries about taping mirrors, etc. (What mirrors? ha ha!) True track tires. Custom trailer and truck, matching colors, and the paddock girls...... !!!!

Total Control Clinic with Lee Parks in August, CLASS Motorcycle School with Reg Pridmore In November. Then maybe I'll follow your lead if retirement funds hold true!

Roaddawg

Is this going to be a dedicated track bike? That would be awesome, no worries about taping mirrors, etc. (What mirrors? ha ha!) True track tires. Custom trailer and truck, matching colors, and the paddock girls...... !!!!

Total Control Clinic with Lee Parks in August, CLASS Motorcycle School with Reg Pridmore In November. Then maybe I'll follow your lead if retirement funds hold true!
Yeah, its strictly a track bike. He's gonna post up some pics of it along with his riding videos too....right Ray?!?! :D