Primer on Lane Splitting in California?

Superzoom

I always try to split at red lights when there is room, get to the front, then launch at green, get into any available lane that's open, and get in front of traffic.

If I'm first to the line at the next red, I tap my brake light repeatedly to let cars paying attention know that im there. Then I'll stop on the line but in-between both lanes.

Ive been rear-ended before at a red, and any absent minded driver is going to hit u no matter what. They could be looking right at your tail light and still not see you and roll right into you. That's what happened to me.

The only way to reduce the chances is to not be in the middle of the lane when stopping. So stopping on the position of the dotted white line between lanes at the front is- imo- still the safest spot to be if u get there first.
Detrich.... Wow, I've never heard of this technique. Makes sense. Does anyone else do this, or have you seen anyone else do this? You would definitely confuse the hell out of drivers here in Canada.

latony007

Detrich.... Wow, I've never heard of this technique. Makes sense. Does anyone else do this, or have you seen anyone else do this? You would definitely confuse the hell out of drivers here in Canada.
he has a good point. I also flash my brake lights when im at a stop light until I am sure the person behind me has seen me and is slowing down. at least I try to. I do not pull into the middle of the lane though unless im splitting. I will have to give that a try.

Detrich

Cars rarely stop at red lights across lanes- ie they usually stay within their lane. Thats why I move to the line in-between lanes. Drivers that see you still leave 1/2 a car length distance and stay behind you. Asshole truck drivers and soccer moms will tailgate you no matter what. But, at least you are clear of being rear-ended by them.