pls recommend winter gear

sammy56

Bakersfield is probably the worst crazy hot to crazy cold in CALI. just assuming but yes we get snow in the mountains all around us snows here in town once every decade but we get the temps for snow every year for at lest a month straight if not two.

I actually have not ridden up there but I went up there a month or two ago for jet ski and boat fishing. if I find pants ill let you know
Gotta get these....

Last edited:

latony007

Gotta get these....
I have to say I have never seen a nut and bolt tire before. But then again I live in Cali, I have never seen a block heater for your car before either, but at least I have heard of those :)

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

sammy56

I am native Quebecois and this is how we enjoy winter.....

Last edited:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Billsbet0

Tour Master gear

I have the Tour Master gear Rob mentioned, pants and jacket, and have to say it's great. Bought it when I got my bike in December 2012 and commute 47 miles each way since (near Ontario Airport to Downtown LA). Rain, fog, sun, wind, heat, you name it. Take the liners in and out as needed.

The gear even held up surprisingly well and protected me really, really well when I went down once.

Only thing I would do over is buy a set in color other than black. Black was all the shop had in stock at the time. Black blends in with the dark night too much.

I bought the Sedici (sp?) heated gloves and shoe liners too for when it gets in under 50 degrees. Doesn't happen often in SoCal but it does happen. Cycle gear has a sale on them now.

Bill

bleedinblue

Elite Member

latony007

WOW! Good thing my wife didnt see this, she would want me to ride down to -30* and snow/ice. LOL

That happens all the time here in MN also. Usually on some frozen lakes
Top 10 things I will not be doing

#1 Riding my motorcycle on top of a frozen lake! :confused:

Sparkxx1

I'd look into the teknic freeway jacket. I'm buying it tonight and its on special since the company went out of business. Its windproof and waterproof and in the winter the thing you want to combat is the wind, not so much the cold. Seems like a great jacket for the price. Ordering right now actually :) Not many left!

Commuting from National City to Escondido m-f during fall/winter the temps along the 15 N can drop to 40 with wind chills in the mid 30s. I'll have to look into this body suit, looks goofy but functional. Last Nov, I was riding my Harley to Esco and got mean perma burn on my thighs and hands to the point that it started having a burning feeling (Early warning/stages of frostbite). Even with 2 pairs of gloves, pants and a heavy coat. Any recommendation on gloves? I tried a few and the wind seems to just cut right through them. Oh, and go Bacon :p

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member
Not sure if you other guys have seen this, or something similar, but..

Motorcycle Wind Chill Chart - RoadCaptain's blog - CycleFish

I shared that with my gf the other day when explaining why I wasn't hot with my jacket zipped up fully(which led to an amusing conversation side), but wind chill is definitely something to keep in mind when you're buying gear.
I guess I'll just drive my car to work when it gets too cold this time. :) Thanks for the chart.

Sparkxx1

I guess I'll just drive my car to work when it gets too cold this time. :) Thanks for the chart.
I used to commute in 20 degree weather with a sweater and textile jacket. This season I have a windproof and waterproof 2/3rds length jacket! BRING IT! :zombie:

latony007

Amen, that's what I do lol. Its nice to have both.

Commuting from National City to Escondido m-f during fall/winter the temps along the 15 N can drop to 40 with wind chills in the mid 30s. I'll have to look into this body suit, looks goofy but functional. Last Nov, I was riding my Harley to Esco and got mean perma burn on my thighs and hands to the point that it started having a burning feeling (Early warning/stages of frostbite). Even with 2 pairs of gloves, pants and a heavy coat. Any recommendation on gloves? I tried a few and the wind seems to just cut right through them. Oh, and go Bacon :p
Someone in here mentioned something that just got me kind of excited. Battery operated heated gloves. I don't want to hook another wire, or have crappy grips because they are heated, and definitely don't wont a wire hooked to my hand while im riding, im sure id rip that thing out every time I got off. These had rechargeable batteries and seemed like a fricken awesome idea in theory. Maybe someone has experience with them??

Heated Gloves Rechargeable Battery Heating Pad Adapter Charger Clothing D Red | eBay

latony007

Hey I just wanted to get out yesterday cause we had like 5 little kids running around the house (only 1 is ours) so im like honey Im going for a ride have fun! lol. Anyway I went to cyclegear which I usually use more like a shopping center and then buy online for 30% less, but this time they had some thermal pants and tops and glove inner liners for a normal price. the pants were on sale for $20 and the glove liners $15. They had tops, jackets and more but I was just looking for something to wear under my jeans as it cools down. And on Saturday when I was riding home around 6 my hands were getting cold so I got the inner liners too. nice thing is they fold up really small in a little bag so you can just keep them in your backpack or possibly even under the seat if nothing else was in there.