Please HELP

JZIPPOZ

ok i am trying to remove my oil filter and i am unable too. i have tried the screwdriver method and the filter wrench doesnt work. i am tearing my oil filter to shreds trying all of these things. does anyone have any good ideas or tips. the screwdriver method i tried i went from the bottom of filter and up. and i tried turning counterclockwise with no luck. any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Spunky99

ok i am trying to remove my oil filter and i am unable too. i have tried the screwdriver method and the filter wrench doesnt work. i am tearing my oil filter to shreds trying all of these things. does anyone have any good ideas or tips. the screwdriver method i tried i went from the bottom of filter and up. and i tried turning counterclockwise with no luck. any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Using the search function will help you maintain your bike.

oil filter removal is a good search.....
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/fz6r-oil-change-how-15839/

bmw675

if you are stabbing the oil filter with the screwdriver, remember 2 things.

1. stay near the end of it, trying avoid hitting the threads.
2. it helps to stab the screwdriver completely through, out the other side. even more messy but it won't tear the filter as much.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a pair of channel lock pliers, especially the kind for pipes, these work wonders! Just pinch the very end of the filter and rotate. It should come loose pretty easily this way.

MikeN02

For the screwdriver method careful not to hit any parts on the bike. Could damage something.

It takes a while but you can rotate it little by little. If it fails then get a pair of vice grips or some grip and pinch it hard and turn.

Surprised that my friend was able to do it this way as I suggested screwdriver he said that's the last method.

72racer

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

I didn't do a search , maybe the Search Police will not flame me !
The screwdriver method is it , the factory filter is just small enough any filter wrench you get beside the $100 (JK) factory one is to large .
Go back with the aftermarket filter choices they will fit the wrenches that are sold anywhere .

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MikeN02

To be honest I'd rather use the screw driver method the first time around and then buy the K&N oil filter all the time than buy new tools. The K&N filter has a nut on top of it so you can just use a regular torque wrench or socket wrench next time + it's one of the "best" oil filters. So in the long end it's good for your bike that you're at least using one of the good oil filters by spending a little extra money every time + you don't have to buy new tools.

Back when we were younger we loved shopping for new toys, now we all love shopping for new tools.

72racer

Elite Member