Please explain hanging off while turning

Cerebus

I understand the physics and mechanics of leaning to turn. What I don't get is how hanging off can get your through a turn without having to lean the bike as much. I've found a couple articles that explain how to do it and just tell me it works, but haven't found one yet that details the said physics/mechanics.

sammy56

I guess I'm in the same boat as you. It works, I know it works, and I understand keeping more tire on the ground gives you more traction which is a benefit.... but I don't know WHY it works in regards to physics
It's all about center of gravity and weight distribution......
Think of it like skiing......
Your outside foot puts pressure on the peg...this helps keep the bike stable. You don't have to hang off a ton, simply enough to affect the turn.
The weight distribution impact force. You will find the bike much more stable when hanging off a bit rather than just leaning the bike.

Last edited:

MiniMose

centripetal force wants to keep the bike upright... hanging off puts center of mass and center of gravity off dead center... which allows to bike to compensate for those changes, staying upright. leaning off puts center of mass off, starting a counter steer.... when you see motogp guys lean forward in the middle of the turn.. they are putting the COM and COG off.. which changes contact patch on front tire, lean angle.

least thats my best understanding

ylwf3vr

I hear Twist of the Wrist 2 explains it very well.. any of you watched it?

Detrich

I've encountered yet another rider this past Sunday that was simply awesome. He rides an 09 R1 & fast as heck, doesn't lean off at all, super smooth lines, and cuts every turn like a perfect wedge.

Two weeks in a row I've been blown away by guys who are super fast and who don't hang off or over-lean. Crazy mad skills. >.<

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

linkgt

I have seen guys who are faster than I am doing the same thing. You can get away with it on the street, but for the same speed, they're riding much closer to the limit with less room for error if they're sitting bolt upright on the bike than if they were doing the same speed and using proper body positioning.

This X10..............

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

ylwf3vr

Ok.. so.. I've been told by few friends who all ride "not pros by all means" tell me to just lean the bike and you stay straight. I guess they told me this for regular, town rides and not "at speeds".

I've been trying to get the lean down but I'm afraid I'll go down or go highside on curbs.. is it just a mental block? Do I need to just get over it and keep practicing?

JonKerr

Elite Member

ylwf3vr

Just leaning the bike will make it turn. And yes, if you're just riding around town on city streets, no need to hang off. You shouldn't be going around corners in town fast enough to need much lean angle at all. Hanging off is generally used if you're cornering at speed. But there are techniques to getting the bike to turn, not "just lean." Counter steering is how you initiate a lean. If you're not aware of what counter steering is, you really need to read some books like the Keith Code books. Once you've initiated the lean, looking through the corner and throttle control are how you get through the corner. This bike is capable of much more than you are at this point without high siding, low siding, or any other crash, unless you cause it.
Yep well versed in counter-steering.. or counter-weight.. just need to see if I can get this lean on the open roads then I guess.

I have the Military Sport Rider Course Friday.. maybe they'll give out some pointers as well.

FastFreddy

Make sure you are comfortable with normal riding first before starting to hang off more.

I started off with keeping my butt in the seat and leaning my head towards handlebars to start with. With shoulders and chest towards the inside, not twisted towards the outside.

The next step is to position the butt cheeks, one cheek on, one cheek off, before you start braking. Keep both knees squeezing the tank while you brake, but with only one cheek on the seat. Then as you turn in, the inside knee comes out and you lean into it as before.

Andy Ibbott (of UK Californian Superbike School)explains how to get the cheek in position without upsetting the handlebars, known as the Knee to Knee. (push with the inside knee to move cheeks without lifting up)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt9lB-LErQ4]Superbike School UK: Knee to Knee part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

FastFreddy

The most important thing to realise is that you are always gentle on the bars.
The hands on the bars are only there to control, not to support any weight.
You have to learn to use the legs to grip the bike with.